Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you hit it?

I FINALLY (after 4 fills and 6 months) hit my sweet spot! MY sweet spot is 2.4. It seems really high to me.

So...when did you hit your sweet spot?

I have 3.0 and the flouro and Dr Maese say I'm not very resticted - although I would personally like to punch the flouro and Dr Maese in the face since everytime I eat since that 3rd fill I feel pain, and I PB at least once a day. But,,,,,, according to Dr Maese (who refused to unfill me any) I could eat a whole steak right????? Whatever!!! GRRRRRRRR.

Hmm, I've only just had my first fill but I'd have to say that the amount of restriction and the dampening of my appetite so far, what most would call unrestricted, I call just enough to make it easy for me to do the work.

does that make sense? I have no desire to get to the point where I can only eat a few tablespoons of a very limited range of foods. I"m really really REALLY happy with where I'm at. I've made good choices, I've avoided bad ones, I've employed my willpower, I've pushed myself at the gym. I really feel like the work's been all mine and that the band is just a little helper.

So regardless of restriction levels, I'd call that a sweet spot.

Jacqui's comments are interesting. I mean what do you consider a 'sweet spot'? Is it that you want to be able to barely eat anything or would some people be happy if they could just eat half of what they use to eat?

I'm in Australia and we work in millilitres. Mine is a 9.5 band, and I have 8.5mls in it - I'm coming up for my first anniversary, have lost 26 kilos.

I don't think I'll ever get that sweet spot as some things I'm throwing up after a few bites, and some things I can eat a lot of. I'm also a bit confused as to what the "sweet spot" is - I think it would vary from person to person.

Laura, it's a bit of a worry, and very arrogant, that your Dr. is telling you how much restriction you have. I think you'd know better than anyone. Don't let him put in any more fills if you don't feel you need it.

Best wishes, Rachel.

I have 2.5cc and i'm a good spot i think. Maybe a smidge more, but i'm not ready for that yet.

Guest Kira M

I have 3.0 and the flouro and Dr Maese say I'm not very resticted - although I would personally like to punch the flouro and Dr Maese in the face since everytime I eat since that 3rd fill I feel pain, and I PB at least once a day. But,,,,,, according to Dr Maese (who refused to unfill me any) I could eat a whole steak right????? Whatever!!! GRRRRRRRR.

Cats, that's just freaking ridiculous! YOU are the consumer. If YOU want an unfill, that is your choice, not your doctor's. If he/she cannot support you on your weightloss journey, I'd sure as hell find a new doctor. I'm sorry you're getting so much hassle. That's just wrong.

i have 2.4 in a 4cc band. and i do have restriction, but i think i'm one of those who would like to be banded up tight! i think i'm going to ask for another fill in feb. i want to only be able to eat a few things and have trouble. i guess i learn the hard way... but i've been dieting for so long that i feel like i want the band to do some heavy lifting.

Guest Kira M

Niche, that is not the purpose of the band. At a maximum level of restriction, you should be able to eat 3-4 oz. of solid Protein, one serving (approx. 1/2 cup) of non starchy vegetables/fruits, and one serving (approx. 1/2 cup) of complex starch, if there is still room. You should then remain full (sated - NOT stuffed like a thanksgiving dinner) for 3-4 hours.

If you abuse the band (and knowingly remaining too tight IS abusing it) you WILL end up with long term ramifications i.e. erosion. If you erode your band, it will have to be removed and a hole in your stomach will have to be healed. I'm sincerely shocked to know that anyone would want to push the boundaries of good health on the off chance that it makes them lose "just that little bit more". Please practice good band health. Your body will thank you for it.

Laura,

I've been off the email list a while but happend to read yours today. I was banded in Sept/ 2003 and it took over a year to get my fills to my sweet spot 1.9. And I struggled and didn't listen to Dr. Maese and tried to eat when I couldn't. Then after a year of that I stopped eating almost all together I had my last fill in July of 04 at 1.9 got down to 135lbs am 5 4" stayed that way for almost a year. Got a staphe infection and had to have it taken out for my meds, I gained 40lbs back in less than 7wks. Finally I went back to him and I was at 196lbs by then, and very unhappy because all my size 4 and 6's didn't fit and I had to buy new clothes. He tightend me up and then I went almost 2 weeks without eating and drinking. Went back to him and lost 21lbs, he loosend me up and then tightend me up. I'm at 173 now in a size 10ish and i have nothing in my band. I have to love Dr. Maese because I regained my health and even though I have restriction from the band in general I'm trying to eat better. So, hang in there, believe it or not he knows what he is doing. My stomache swells and won't go down so I deal with it, and if my clothes are getting to tight I'll get a fill again. Anyway I hope this helps you and you'll get to your weight, be patient. I know I wasnt' and went thru alot.

Leanna

I had a sweet fill... and then I lost 30 pounds, opened up and have yet to get back to a sweet spot again.

I am going next week... I am at 1.7.. I am gonna ask to go to 1.9..

I swell ALOT.. or else I could go to and easily live with at least 2.2

I coulda been at 1.9 all this time.. but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr the swelling.. just pisses me off!

As I have sat here and beent he same weight for months..

I I had 150$ in extra cash a month, this wouldnt be a problem.

OR if I didnt have a swelling problem

i guess i should clarify. i don't want to push the band beyond the limits of good sense but i am again far from the goal of 1 to 1/2 c of food. i'm still not satisfied until after 2c of food. i had a couple of days last week when i was satisfied from 1c of food but it passed. so i'm still looking for that elusive sweet spot. i don't want to endanger myself but as i see it i paid thousands of dollars for some physical sensation of fullness and i would rather be tighter and give up some foods than stay here in limbo.