Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been tossing this idea around for 6 months or so. I had checked with my insurance and they did cover bariatric surgery so I went to a seminar tonight. I found out that with my insurance that they require you to have a BMI of at least 35(mine is 37) for the past 5 years. I have not checked with my previous dr. yet but I have been playing with numbers on a BMI calculator and I am doubting I have had a BMI of 35 for 5 years. I have been excited that I might have finally found the one thing that would actually work for me and now I think I may not get approved. Anyone ever had this experience and got approved? I go to my primary doctor tomorrow to get results on blood work and they will probably be putting me on cholesterol and trycliceride medicine. I am already on blood pressure meds and I want to be healthy again!!! :(

When I went to my clinic's seminar I got the booklet to fill out with past diets and weights and all I didn't at the time put down a primary care because when I went to her for help she ,being 5'8 and probably 115 lbs., suggested that I go to a nutritionist I had been going to one and she sugested I speak to my primary ugh! Any way I went to the 1-800-get-thin I know alot of people speak things on here about them and maybe in some cases that is how it is or was for them , but like I said I filled in the booklet and just guestimated what my past weights were and seeing as I never really went to a dr unless I was with child or deathly ill there was no record of weight for years past . So they went with what I had . Maybe speaking to your primary they could help you with this there maybe comorbidities(sp) I had moderate-severe sleep apnea and some weird bacteria in my stomache they found with the endoscopy and I was also borderline diabetic which scares me as last year my father told me that his father (whom he did not know) had died from this and my mothers side (heavier relatives) all have had this . I have always been a junk food junkie and now see this as a tool to feed my self my fiancee and kids right . I did three nutrionist visits and paper work was submitted and within a week I was approved and now 6 days in . I'm still sore but am happy I did this . Please don't give up . Keep your head up . If your determined good things will happen .

I have been tossing this idea around for 6 months or so. I had checked with my insurance and they did cover bariatric surgery so I went to a seminar tonight. I found out that with my insurance that they require you to have a BMI of at least 35(mine is 37) for the past 5 years. I have not checked with my previous dr. yet but I have been playing with numbers on a BMI calculator and I am doubting I have had a BMI of 35 for 5 years. I have been excited that I might have finally found the one thing that would actually work for me and now I think I may not get approved. Anyone ever had this experience and got approved? I go to my primary doctor tomorrow to get results on blood work and they will probably be putting me on cholesterol and trycliceride medicine. I am already on blood pressure meds and I want to be healthy again!!! :(

Usually if you have other "problems" like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc. your insurance will cover you even if you don't meet the BMI minimum. Don't give up!! I jumped through hoops for 6 months in order to get my insurance to cover my surgery (banded on 4/26/11). It will be worth it!! :)