Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to admit, I weigh almost daily also. I use it both as a barometer of how I am doing AND hoping to see a loss. Unfortunately, I am pretty discouraged right now. I was banded on 3/10/11 and initially lost 9lbs however, when I went onto solid foods I gained back 4-7lbs. (keeps fluctuating) I am trying to watch what I eat but have NO restriction at all. I can eat anything, although I try to make healthy choices. I was just released two weeks ago to have full range of excercise. I have not had a fill yet. When I had my last appointment 6 weeks ago the doctor said it was too soon for a fill. I go back on 5/24/11. Hopefully he will give me a fill. My hope is that once I get filled, I will start seeing progress again. Has anyone gone through this? Is this normal, or did I make a mistake?

What you are going through is perfectly normal. Your doc. is having you wait quite a long time for a fill. I got my first one 6 weeks out. Every doc. is different. Hang in there! Have you started excersising? It has so many benefits and really helps weight loss. It is so tough to get started, but for me it has become a matter of routine. I was about 4 months post op before I hit the gym. As far as eating, I suggest you concentrate on eating the right things (low carb, low fat, high protien) even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. Best wishes!

The fluctuation of weight is quite normal throughout your journey. Am I reading your ticker right? If so and you have only 58lbs to lose then your weight loss will be slower that it is for those who have a lot of weight to lose. Until you achieve restriction through fills, I would watch what I eat and moderate my intake as well as exercise. You should be alright if you follow your care team`s directions. Good luck.

Yes, I have started excercising. I started back to the gym the day after I was released from my surgical restrictions. I know exerice is so important. I am trying to make healthy choices in what I eat. Only hard time I have is during the salty/sweet phase of the month.

Hi KCG,

Yes, you are reading my ticker correctly. I have 58lbs to loose. I lost 30lbs on my own prior to deciding to have the band done. I guess I am just being impatient. I haven't even had a fill yet. I suppose I just need some encouragement. Thanks all!

Yes!! You are VERY NORMAL:) Its not always easy at first but you will get there...use this time to "teach" yourself how you should be eating and learning the band rules..for me it was pretty much like I was dieting for the first few months....just like old times and I was very frustrated but it does eventually get to the point where you won't feel this way anymore..It took me almost 5 months and about 4 fills before I really got pretty much to my sweet spot..everyone is different though....try to be patient...time does go fast, even if it doesnt feel that way right now..before you know it you will be close or at your sweet spot..each fill and day gets you closer!! Good luck!

Yes!! You are VERY NORMAL:) Its not always easy at first but you will get there...use this time to "teach" yourself how you should be eating and learning the band rules..for me it was pretty much like I was dieting for the first few months....just like old times and I was very frustrated but it does eventually get to the point where you won't feel this way anymore..It took me almost 5 months and about 4 fills before I really got pretty much to my sweet spot..everyone is different though....try to be patient...time does go fast, even if it doesnt feel that way right now..before you know it you will be close or at your sweet spot..each fill and day gets you closer!! Good luck!

I was banded March 9th, and I am similar to you. Except I already have gotten a fill, but I find it encouraging to read what Nicole wrote. I actually feel like I am dieting also. Weight goes up and down. I have lost 30 lbs total from preop diet, then imediatly after, and not much change since. So you are not alone.

I know it sucks, but you always have to make healthy choices, the band won't ever stop you from eating too much. It's 100% up to you. Start counting your calories, and exercising. I know everyone says it isn't a diet it IS a diet. It's a full time diet, you are learning how to eat properly. You can't eat crap and lose weight. I can certainly eat way more calories than I'm aloud. But, It's more second nature now.. I know what to eat everyday to continue losing weight.

The band is there to control your hunger.. which helps the diet. If you aren't hungry, you are less likely to overeat.

Thanks guys. I do watch my calories. I have been doing that on my own for 2 years now, so it is just second nature to stay around 1500 calories a day. That is the number that the dietician gave me to stay around. I lost 30 lbs on my own with just seeing the dietician the last two years every two weeks. I paid to see her every two weeks out of my own pocket for nearly 2 years. Once I hit that plateau and could not get past it is when I realized that I needed the extra help and decided to ge the band. Before then, I never considered it. I guess that I was needing reassurance that once I do start getting fills that I will start loosing. I definitely know this is just a "tool" and have to contnue to make good choices and exercise. Trust me, I preach that to my patients all of the time!! :) Since I am still considering myself as a newbie to being banded I am just not sure what to expect down the road. :) Thanks for the help and support.

Thanks guys. I do watch my calories. I have been doing that on my own for 2 years now, so it is just second nature to stay around 1500 calories a day. That is the number that the dietician gave me to stay around. I lost 30 lbs on my own with just seeing the dietician the last two years every two weeks. I paid to see her every two weeks out of my own pocket for nearly 2 years. Once I hit that plateau and could not get past it is when I realized that I needed the extra help and decided to ge the band. Before then, I never considered it. I guess that I was needing reassurance that once I do start getting fills that I will start loosing. I definitely know this is just a "tool" and have to contnue to make good choices and exercise. Trust me, I preach that to my patients all of the time!! :) Since I am still considering myself as a newbie to being banded I am just not sure what to expect down the road. :) Thanks for the help and support.

I agree Michie! I found Nicole's comments very helpful and encouraging. :)

I was banded March 9th, and I am similar to you. Except I already have gotten a fill, but I find it encouraging to read what Nicole wrote. I actually feel like I am dieting also. Weight goes up and down. I have lost 30 lbs total from preop diet, then imediatly after, and not much change since. So you are not alone.