Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The nutrtionist co-pays are gettin' expensive..

Hey guys!.. I'm asking because I';ve seen my nutritionist 3 times since the 22nd of April, an average of about once every ten days. My co-pays are 40.00 each time..and it's adding up.!..lol., add to this the fact that she's doesn't believe in the lap band-or any other type surgery- just good ol' willpower!(yeah, just my luck..) Well, I've lost 16 pounds and will probably lose another 20 before surgery. I'm not scheduled yet, but have been cleared by the psychologist and awaiting the gastro. Okay, I'll stop rambling.. How often/and for how long did you see your nutrionist? Also, does a nutritionist have any say in whether I get it or not. She's disappointed that I STILL(uh, yeah..lol.) want it.! I'm losing because they REQUIRE it, no?

Thanks, guys!

I went to my nutritionist once pre-op so that I could be approved for surgery. I believe I emailed her on and off, but otherwise the distance + money to see her wasn't worth it, so I never went back. I figured testing the waters/reading on my own was enough. Most nutritionists are set in their own ways and have the idea that one diet fits all, when that's the farthest from being true.

Maybe find a nutritionist that deals with bariatric patients? I will say mine was a bariatric patient herself so she was more knowledgeable in that sense.

I saw my mine two or three times before surgery and then probably three times so far after surgery. My nutritionist is part of my surgeon's practice so my appointments with her are part of my normal office visits for fills, etc. and since she is part of his practice, she has a lot of experience working with WLS patients. Is there a particular reason you are seeing your nutritionist? If she doesn't deal with WLS patients (and doesn't even support you in your efforts to get banded) then I think you need to find a new one. I'm not sure what your insurance requirements are regarding pre-surgery weight loss, but mine didn't have any...my surgeon required that I lose 11 lbs before surgery and I accomplished that with the 2 week pre-op diet.

I say mine once. She is part of the package when I paid for the surgery. She works closely with the doctor that does the surgery, and only talks to me about food and preparation for the surgery, and life afterward! That's has to be diffucult dealing with her! Support for your decision would be nice!!

I had a 6 month pre-op wait period and insurance said I had to see her 6 times, so I did. I still see her though, she's part of my surgeon's practice.

Thanks VickyD(and everyone!!) for the response(s)! Okay. Update: Today my PC doctor's office called and said that my insurance wants the nutritionist's " report"(some type of summary report on my progress, so they can submit it to insurance along with the psych report) She asked me to call my nutritionist and have her send this in to them. Now, I had no idea that my nutritionist was to send in anything, and my doctor's office had no idea I was still seeing her(..and it's getting expensive...)Well, I asked my docs office if she could call the nutritionist instead(which would be waaay more professional and "authentic") So, she did, and left a message. What does this "nutritionist" think I'm going to her for? For the LAP BAND, of course!! NOT to be her patient forever! I really hope she sends over what they need, so then they can schedule the gastro, et.al.. Oh, and I checked, and she's the only nutritionist in the system they use, so I'm stuck with her..;( Nevertheless, I shall remain positive! I'm doing everything they require..so hopefully soon I WILL get my band!!

Oh, and yes, she DOES work with bariatric patients, but she LOVES to comment on the patients that chose to lose it "naturally" and didn't have the band after all....Well, I ain't one of em, lol..I want my band!:) And I'm willing to work with her(lose weight, follow her guidelines..) and remain upbeat through her negativity(sigh).I will try not to worry about possible "nutritionist sabotage"..lol..I wonder: will losing LESS weight pre-op help?Hmmmm..