Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less cardio, more strength training?

I was wondering what you guys think about less cardio and more focus on muscle. I am so afraid of access skin, that I want to just focus on muscle with yoga and resistance bands.

My husband says, I will already loose weight with the band so no need for intense cardio. Just a thought. rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone.

Exercise doesn't prevent excess skin; nothing does. It depends on how overweight you are, how much you lose, how long you've been overweight, etc.

I don't agree with neglecting cardio however. HIIT is great for burning fat as is most cardio. However, lifting weights is important as well as it helps you build muscle/lean body mass. The more muscle you have the more your body burns even when you're doing nothing.

Weight lifting is good if you're doing heavy weights. High intensity with low weights is useless with my opinion. If you want results definitely lift heavy. Remember though lifting weights won't cure/prevent excess skin. Yes you can build muscle to fill the skin but other factors do apply.

Exercise doesn't prevent excess skin; nothing does. It depends on how overweight you are, how much you lose, how long you've been overweight, etc.

I don't agree with neglecting cardio however. HIIT is great for burning fat as is most cardio. However, lifting weights is important as well as it helps you build muscle/lean body mass. The more muscle you have the more your body burns even when you're doing nothing.

Weight lifting is good if you're doing heavy weights. High intensity with low weights is useless with my opinion. If you want results definitely lift heavy. Remember though lifting weights won't cure/prevent excess skin. Yes you can build muscle to fill the skin but other factors do apply.

This is just not my experience. I went back to Curves five days after surgery. I was 55 years old and have been obese for 20 years. IVe lost 75 of the 125 Lbs I need to lose since August, 25, 2010. I have NO sagging skin

Thanks!

njm, You are super lucky. Keep up the good work. I know that curves is hydraulic resistance. Which is strength training, The harder you push, the hard the pressure.

I agree with age and how much weight. I will mix it up and see what I get. Hoping, with luck, my skin will bounce back.

Good luck to you guys.

Cardio & strength training are important. I always do 30 mins of cardio & 20mins weights. Then stretching & core work for 10 mins. 5 days a week and the weekend I try and walk 5-8 kms.

Cheers,

Kristi

Skin is a living organ. It responds to what you do to it and to the tissues around it.

Losing weight slowly (2-3 lbs a week), weight lifting (building muscle), cardio (losing fat and providing oxygen to muscles), eating well, drinking a lot of Fluid - all help your skin to regain its elasticity and shrink up.

It's not a guarantee you'll lose all the extra skin, but it will minimize it dramatically.

Weight lifting and muscle building will be your best and most consistent option.

• Around one week out from surgery start walking regularly.
  • Around three weeks out start body resistance exercises (squats, lunges, wall pushups, leg lifts, etc.).
  • Around six weeks out you should be healed enough for heavy weights (if you can carry a 30 lbs bag of groceries without issues you shouldn't be lifting 5 lbs weights) - lift the heaviest weight you can for 8-10 reps. Don't work the same body part more than twice in a 7 day period, and never within 48 hours of each other. When you lift weights you tear the muscle, those 2-3 days off give the muscle time to heal and get bigger. If you do the same workout every day the muscle never has time to actually heal. You can also start pushups, situps, the plank, etc. now. You should feel good enough to do those.
  • Add in heavy cardio, interval training, arc trainer, running, etc. But never do cardio before weights, always after weights, and never more than an hour.
  • And consume Protein BEFORE your workout, at least 30 minutes prior. It will give your body the energy it needs to consume at the end of your workout after you've burned through the fat it can use - otherwise your body will start to consume muscle and you don't want that.
  • If you aren't sure what to do, head to a gym and talk with someone there who looks like what you want to look like. They will share what they know with you. Don't be embarrassed, they'll appreciate that you are making a change.