Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not quite there yet, but going

Hi, my name is Donna. I am 61 years old and have had a weight problem since I was 18 years old. I have gained weight with each change in my life. I had three children, c-section, by the age of 21. I kept on a portion of the weight from each pregnancy, but was still very active and a planner and go getter. I had a hysterectomy at 23 and that put more weight on me. I was about 150 lbs by now and it had only been five years. I started out at 100 lbs. Then I had to go on premarin and quit smoking. gained another 40 lbs in a short period of time. Then my health started falling apart. I was diagnosed with diabetes. It doesnt run in my family. It runs in my husband family, but he doesnt have it. I was put on oral medications. One was Metformin. Now the diarrehia started. I kept telling my doctors I was going up to 10 times a day. No one seemed concerned and just pushed it aside. Years later, I was talking to a neighbor and he told me he was on Metformin and had to go off it because of severe diarrehia. I went to my PCP and low and behold she said oh yeah that can cause it. Geez... The problem was that that was my last resort before insulin. I am petrified of needles and now I had to take on about 4 times a day. Well, you do what you have to if you want to live. Problem is I was living I was existing. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, high bp, and high cholestrol. I was working full time as a medical office manager. Before I knew it I was crying when trying to get ready for work. I was so exhausted I had a hard time just taking a shower and getting dress. Thank God, my boss had known me for 20- years and he knew I was a very hard worker. He was very patient even though he had to hire someone part-time to help me do my work. I just got worse and worse and could only work about 10 hrs a week. My boss called me in one day and said "donna it is time you go on disability". We had to sell our home because without my income we had to cut expenses. I was devastated and very depressed. When I went on insulin I gained even more weight. The tops of my arms are so large when I type and have my elbow bent, it cuts off the circulation to the bottom of my arms. I am having sensations of beening tingly and numb in my low extremities. I finally could not take it any longer and looked up lapband. I had heard about it threw my exboss as his son had it done. My husband contacted my insurance (medicare HMO) and they said they will not pay for the surgery no matter how many illnesses I have. My husband and I have decided to finance the surgery. I honestly feel I am not going to survive without the surgery. I have had my Psych eval and have an appointment with the surgeon and nutritionist next week. I feel I finally have hope that I will have more energy and do things I can enjoy now that I am retired. If anyone has any advise for me I would appreciate it.

excited to have energy...donna