Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Days in ...and I feel great!

Hi all,

First post, but I have read the forums here from time to time.

It's been a long road, but I was banded two days ago. 5-10-11 by Dr John Groves in Albertville Al, I'm still a little sore and have some upper chest/shoulder gas pain, but I'm feeling great all things considered.

My main motivation for being banded was my diabetes. I've been Type 2 for almost 15 years. I am at max dosages on 4 different oral diabetes meds plus a Byetta injection. They were no longer doing the job and my blood sugar numbers were close to out of control. The next step was insulin and due to my job, I REALLY didn't need to be on insulin. Happy to report that after 2 weeks low carb Pre-Op diet and just a couple of days post-op my blood sugar is showing a marked improvement. Went from 200+ to 120 so far. My younger brother was banded 3 years ago and lost about 100 lbs and it has stayed off. He was also off all his diabetic and severe high blood pressure meds at 4 months and 40 lbs in.

I started my journey last August with a visit to one of their seminars. Then I spent the next 7 1/2 months jumping through all the hoops for Highmark BCBS. Last Dr supervised diet visit was visit 3-6-11. I got approved 4-1-11 and got the letter 4-10-11. I got my date a few days afterward. The surgery went great. No problems getting put to sleep (my biggest fear due a prior surgery years ago). Arrived at the hospital at 6am, was in surgey by 7:30, recovery and waking up at 8:45,in my room at 9:30, swallow test at 11:15 and on the way home by 12:30. All went great.

As of now,I'm not feeling hungry. I only have a few cravings, but no hunger pains. Look forward to my first fill!

I hope to become a part of this community. I think all of us have a lot in common.

Thanks,

Dave_C

That's great Dave, congratulations!! I can only imagine how great you feel, I'm looking forward to my surgery day which is only six days away...I look forward to reading about all of your great success!

Hi all,

It's been a long road, but I was banded two days ago. 5-10-11 by Dr John Groves in Albertville Al, I'm still a little sore and have some upper chest/shoulder gas pain, but I'm feeling great all things considered.

My main motivation for being banded was my diabetes. I've been Type 2 for almost 15 years. I am at max dosages on 4 different oral diabetes meds plus a Byetta injection. They were no longer doing the job and my blood sugar numbers were close to out of control. The next step was insulin and due to my job, I REALLY didn't need to be on insulin. Happy to report that after 2 weeks low carb Pre-Op diet and just a couple of days post-op my blood sugar is showing a marked improvement. Went from 200+ to 120 so far. My younger brother was banded 3 years ago and lost about 100 lbs and it has stayed off. He was also off all his diabetic and severe high blood pressure meds at 4 months and 40 lbs in.

I started my journey last August with a visit to one of their seminars. Then I spent the next 7 1/2 months jumping through all the hoops for Highmark BCBS. Last Dr supervised diet visit was visit 3-6-11. I got approved 4-1-11 and got the letter 4-10-11. I got my date a few days afterward. The surgery went great. No problems getting put to sleep (my biggest fear due a prior surgery years ago). Arrived at the hospital at 6am, was in surgey by 7:30, recovery and waking up at 8:45,in my room at 9:30, swallow test at 11:15 and on the way home by 12:30. All went great.

As of now,I'm not feeling hungry. I only have a few cravings, but no hunger pains. Look forward to my first fill!

I hope to become a part of this community. I think all of us have a lot in common.

Thanks,

Dave_C

That is great man. My surgery is about 12 hours away now and I hope I feel as good as you 2 days out. Thank you for the inspiration.

That is great man. My surgery is about 12 hours away now and I hope I feel as good as you 2 days out. Thank you for the inspiration.

Good Luck today Thee-O you'll do great

That is great! I am also using Dr. Groves and have an appointment Monday to hopefully schedule my surgery. I got my letter last week from the insurance company. I am glad to here that your experience was good.

That is great! I am also using Dr. Groves and have an appointment Monday to hopefully schedule my surgery. I got my letter last week from the insurance company. I am glad to here that your experience was good.

It will go well. Dr Groves and his whole staff were great.

I am free of Type 2 diabetes because of my band........It's amazing - GOOD LUCK TO YOU

All the best Dave, I hope recovery is still coming along nicely. Thee-O, I hope your surgery went well the other day and that you are recovering comfortably too.

My surgery is on Saturday 21st - it will be nice to check in on you both as we go. Have a great week.

Gordana

Hello all,

I was banded on 5/11/11 by Dr. K. Todd Foreman in Hunstville, AL. Doing well so far, just the usual gas pain. Best wishes to all of you.

Edited by Malcolm

Hi all,

Thanks,

Dave_C

Congrats Dave,

I got banded by Dr. K. Todd Foreman on 5/11/11 in Huntsville. Doing well so far. I too have the gas pain you described. I too am (was!) a type II diabetic, 1000 mg of metformin twice a day. I don't need it now! Best wishes for your success.