Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there.

I have to say there is some inspirational stuff on here and I have been very interested to read some of the stories. I thought i woul start by commenting on why I made the decision to get the lap band procedure done (in mid June). Then a separate post on how I decided.

My whole story starts some 20 years ago when i started overeating. I would not say I am an "emotional eater" as such - I just like food! I tried Jenny Craig a few years back when I weighed about 116kg. I got down to 104. I am now 150!

So I have been seriously wanting to do something about my weight for a few months now as it is really starting to negatively effect the way I live my life. I used to play and enjoy a lot of sports mainly cricket and golf, but ankle problems mean I can hardly walk a km these days.. So needless to say for those reasons and many other I am motivated for change. I want to record some of the issues I have had mainly so that I can look at this in future times if I ever need motivation. It also might be of assistnce to others considering the op.

Negatives

I am avoiding social occasions as much as I can and have become a slight hermit - not drastically so but it is there.

I am conscious people are looking at me and passing comment behind my back

I am always nervous getting on a plane that I will have to ask for the dreaded "extension" (it doesn't always happen but has sometimes).

I am conscious of the poor people sitting next to me on the plane also

I avoid seeing people who I haven't seen for a while (people mean well but they do comment sometimes)

people call me "big guy" as a term of endearment which is nice (I don't mind too much - accurate decision) - but small guy would be better.

I have to be careful where I sit in restaurants and when visiting that the seats is sturdy enough and there is enough room!

I can't enjoy the sport I used to

I am very low in evergy - the couch is my friend!

I have sleep apneoa and high blood pressure

I am worried about the effects my obesity has had on my health and will do in the future left unchecked.

I am headed for an early grave

Positives

I am very fortunate that I have no other obesity complications - yet

I am determined to change

I have the support of my family (I have only told my wife and my mother at this stage)

I can change if I want to.

If/when I do lose weight a lot of the issues mentioned above will be assisted

So that is where I am. I will post some more tomorrow about how I decided on the Lap Band - it was a decision I agonised over for months!

Regards

AJ

So - to continue the story.

So before Xmas I went to a seminar in Wellington on the surgery options. The seminar was pretty focussed on the lap band but definitely mentioned gatric bypass and (less so) the gastric sleeve.

I also really liked the way they were talking at the seminar where ths surgeon said that the difference between me and him (healthy weight) was that food "does it" for me. I thought that statement really rang true in my case.

I was defintlely liking the sound of the lap bad. Mainly the adjustability and reversability aspects.

That was until I went to the doctor in January. He said that he had "researched the topic" and that he thought that the gastric sleeve had great results and that this was something I should seriously consider. He gave me some contact details and I got some info and a quote.

So the place I got the sleeve quote from was a lot more expensive and the surgeon at the seminar did sleeves also and was very experienced...

So - is it the sleeve or the band?

This was a nighmare. There were advantages and disadvantages for both. The main advantages as I saw the band was as above. The adjustability and reversability. But always in the back of my mind was - yes it's the safe option but what if it doesn't work? A huge amount of money down the drain! Wouldn't I be better to do it once and do it right? EWhat if the "lower risk" band failed and i have to have another procedure?

So - the research began. The internet is sometimes your friend and sometimes not. "Lap Band" Sites extolled the virtues of the Lap Band. It was the only way to go! "Sleeve" sites did the opposite and talked about erosion and a miriad of other problems with the band... So I did heaps of research (including watching you tube clips of both procedures). I just couldn't make a decision and wasn't sleeping well at all....

So having selected a company to go with I booked in for the appointments with the nurse, psychcologist and dietician. Before the appointments I made a list of pros and cons of each operation and questions with the intention of making a decision. I also booked tentative dates for BOTH operations and had the intention of making a decision the day of these appointments. I was really impressed with the organisation I chose and the fact that they took wholistic approach to the whole procedure and payment included 2 years of after surgery care.

So appointment day arrived. I went to see the nurse first which was great. She took the vatal stats and basically said I was a good candidate for EITHER operation! AAARRRGGGGHHHH! :-). No criticism of her as I think it is important that I made the call, but I was hoping to get a "steer" one way or the other given my individual factors. No such luck. After a really interesting half day I came out much more knowledgable, but no closer to making a decision! So both dates remained pencilled in until I saw the surgeon 2 weeks later. I turned up with my list of questions to that appointment.

I chatted with the surgeon. I discussed the Sleeve v the Lap Band. He does mainly lap bands and bypasses and had only done 5-6 sleeves. By far his most common operation was the band. He commented as folows:

- The sleeve was a relatively new procedure in comparison with the other 2.

- There was no data availabile on long term effects with the sleeve

- He had patients have success with both the bypass and the band

- All operations could be "cheated"

- many people who had one operation then went to another failed in both beciuae thay hadn't addressed core overeating issues

So it was time fior a decison! The thing that really swung it for me was the lower risk of the band. I thought carefully about my core issues again:

1. I eat the wrong foods

2. I eat too quickly

3. I eat too much

I though that the band will help me with 2 and 3 - but solving all 3 is up to me. So why not go with the lower risk/reversable option? So that's what i decided. And i haven't had any second thoughts since!

Pre-op diet in 1 week and op in 5.

Welcome to becoming a Bandster!!!

I think it's great that you put so much thought and research into your decision! This site is my favorite-lots of very useful information!:)

Negatives

I am avoiding social occasions as much as I can and have become a slight hermit - not drastically so but it is there.

I am conscious people are looking at me and passing comment behind my back

I am always nervous getting on a plane that I will have to ask for the dreaded "extension" (it doesn't always happen but has sometimes).

I am conscious of the poor people sitting next to me on the plane also

I avoid seeing people who I haven't seen for a while (people mean well but they do comment sometimes)

people call me "big guy" as a term of endearment which is nice (I don't mind too much - accurate decision) - but small guy would be better.

I have to be careful where I sit in restaurants and when visiting that the seats is sturdy enough and there is enough room!

I can't enjoy the sport I used to

I am very low in evergy - the couch is my friend!

I have sleep apneoa and high blood pressure

I am worried about the effects my obesity has had on my health and will do in the future left unchecked.

I am headed for an early grave

Regards

AJ

Hi AJ, I just found your msg on the site. Your 'negatives' are mine exactly. I'm also a Kiwi, but am working/living in Sth Korea. I've decided to get the band done here because it's cheaper but most importantly, no one has seen me since I was last home in 2008 - and no one is going to until I've had good success with the lap band.

I want to have a "Surprise, look at me now!" moment.

Wishing you all the very best of luck!

Gordana