Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but can someone please tell me the steps on this whole pre-approval thing? I went for the consult, got the instructions, but maybe I am an idiot but I am a little confused.

The woman from the doctor's office whose name is Stacy called and told me a little bit about the process. I went to my family doctor on March 21 to start my agony of the doctor supervised 6month diet. I went back last week for my first month check up. I am writing a food journal, trying to drink lots of Water and exercise more all which I am keeping track of. My doctor and I discussed all this at my last appointmnet and she documented all of this in my chart, I go again in 3 weeks for my next follow up. Stacy told me I didn't need to worry about seeing a nutritionist through my family doctor cuz I could see theirs.

I also see on the outline from Stacy that it says I have to exercise and have to meet with some exercise therapist to improve pulmonary reserve? I don't have the money to join a gym, but I do have an eliptical, treadmill, ab chair and weight bench and a bowflex. I am using them more than I have been.

Does anyone else have Aetna and did all the hoop jumping and can kinda walk me all through it please? When do I meet with their nutritionist? Stacy has been working on all this and I kinda figured she would call me once she got the documentation she needed so I could meet with the nutritionist but I figured I would do that early on since that would be a part of the whole diet thing, right?

Sorry friends, I really want to be approved and would give my right arm if they asked for it just to have the band, and I don't want to mess this part up and feel like I will!!

Any help would really be appreciated!!

Can't help walk you through the process, 'cause I don't have aetna and my approval process was really easy and quick, but I did want to offer support and encouragement. If this is really something you want to do you'll get through it --- and probably get to keep your right arm! Good luck, and keep on truckin!

Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but can someone please tell me the steps on this whole pre-approval thing? I went for the consult, got the instructions, but maybe I am an idiot but I am a little confused.

The woman from the doctor's office whose name is Stacy called and told me a little bit about the process. I went to my family doctor on March 21 to start my agony of the doctor supervised 6month diet. I went back last week for my first month check up. I am writing a food journal, trying to drink lots of Water and exercise more all which I am keeping track of. My doctor and I discussed all this at my last appointmnet and she documented all of this in my chart, I go again in 3 weeks for my next follow up. Stacy told me I didn't need to worry about seeing a nutritionist through my family doctor cuz I could see theirs.

I also see on the outline from Stacy that it says I have to exercise and have to meet with some exercise therapist to improve pulmonary reserve? I don't have the money to join a gym, but I do have an eliptical, treadmill, ab chair and weight bench and a bowflex. I am using them more than I have been.

Does anyone else have Aetna and did all the hoop jumping and can kinda walk me all through it please? When do I meet with their nutritionist? Stacy has been working on all this and I kinda figured she would call me once she got the documentation she needed so I could meet with the nutritionist but I figured I would do that early on since that would be a part of the whole diet thing, right?

Sorry friends, I really want to be approved and would give my right arm if they asked for it just to have the band, and I don't want to mess this part up and feel like I will!!

Thanks, I just really really want this and don't want to do something unknowingly to jeopardize my approval. I am really scared about not doing what I should and messing it up for myself because I didn't know. I have really bad luck with almost everything in my life, and I guess I am just anticipating that something will go wrong with my approval process.

Can't help walk you through the process, 'cause I don't have aetna and my approval process was really easy and quick, but I did want to offer support and encouragement. If this is really something you want to do you'll get through it --- and probably get to keep your right arm! Good luck, and keep on truckin!

Hi Suez,

Not sure if you're welcoming to someone from another insurance provider (BCBS of MN) but they were very strict and had to jump through MANY hoops as well. I was on a 6 month diet, required a psych clearance, pulmonary clearance and cardiac clearance. I had nutrition classes (the surgeons office provided these) and the exercise is NOT required to be in a gym. They didn't request proof of my workouts, they're really looking for that in your weight loss and mentality. The exercise therapist may be something their office has available like at mine (the nutrition counseling). Not only is insurance different but the offices are different. The office I'm going through has more involvement than others I looked into but I felt they're really looking out for my well being and success with the band. I just recently got approval (last week) so if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I kind of wish someone would've been there a little more for me when I had all these questions...but instead I was calling the office A LOT and having them answer them. So now I'll share :)

Wow thanks so much. I think I will call the office tomorrow and check in with them to see where I am in the process. I really appreciate your help, it means a lot!! Good luck I can't wait to follow your weight loss.

Hi Suez,

Not sure if you're welcoming to someone from another insurance provider (BCBS of MN) but they were very strict and had to jump through MANY hoops as well. I was on a 6 month diet, required a psych clearance, pulmonary clearance and cardiac clearance. I had nutrition classes (the surgeons office provided these) and the exercise is NOT required to be in a gym. They didn't request proof of my workouts, they're really looking for that in your weight loss and mentality. The exercise therapist may be something their office has available like at mine (the nutrition counseling). Not only is insurance different but the offices are different. The office I'm going through has more involvement than others I looked into but I felt they're really looking out for my well being and success with the band. I just recently got approval (last week) so if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I kind of wish someone would've been there a little more for me when I had all these questions...but instead I was calling the office A LOT and having them answer them. So now I'll share :)

I have Aetna. I told my primary dr. that I wanted the insurance, he thought it was a good idea. I went on Aetna's website and found a bariatric Dr. that was in-network and center for excellence. I checked him out saw that he looked like a good dr. I then went to his informational seminar. They said the next thing is to make an appt. with him. I went, his office told me with my insurance I had to see him for 6 months while they track my weight. I did that. By the end of the 6 months I had to see the nutrionist, psych that told me to go to (after seeing nutrionist I find out the Aetna I have does not approve nutrionist's so I had to pay out of pocket for that). I had a list of all the different tests I had to take, I got my medical clearance from my primary and then was scheduled for the surgery. All of that took about 8 months, it all went very fast. Call your insurance company and make sure. Maybe you can do the 6 months with your bariatric surgeon. Because the bariatric surgeon may have different rules for you to follow. Good luck, it is well worth the weight. I am now down 72 lbs. I had my surgery Sept. 22, 2010.