Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I go through Surgery again and get Banded?

I got banded on Jan 11, 2010, the day Haiti got hit with the Earthquake. Wish the significance of that event would have carried over to my weight lost, but it never happened. I started at 285 with a BMI of 44. I got down to 238 in less then 5 months with a BMI of 38, gained a few pounds and lost a few more. Saw my Surgeon monthly and had a small fill added almost every month. I have the large band and I am not yet filled to the max. I have gained back about 7 pounds and now am holding around 250. I`m still happy that I am 35 pounds lighter then where I started but I have to admit, despite daily walking and bicycling, I have NOT kept my eye on the ball. I tend to eat too large portions, have not eliminated carbs and bread like I should have and continue to drink a few pints of beer daily. I have reduced my soft drink consumption drastically as well as seltzer Water. They warned me before Surgery about "Head Hunger" and that the Lap Band was simply a Tool. They were right. I would say, if you don`t have the will power or discipline before the Surgery, It is unlikely that a few gagging or sliming episodes will get one to dig their heals in to take control. It still helps to avoid binge eating and really pigging out but pizza, Wings, Burgers, chips, Beer, etc will still be flirting with you as long as you live.

First of all, I haven't had a soda since being banded in January 25, 2011. It causes your pouch to stretch along with overeating. There is always a chance that you have stretched your pouch. you might need to do a pouch test this will also get you back on track with everything. Also, if you continue to eat the same things you will not lose you eventually need to changes things up including diet and exercise. I personally, can not eat bread, pork, and other meats. You need to remember to drink your Water. Do you attend a support group?? this has helped me during the journey..

First of all, I haven't had a soda since being banded in January 25, 2011. It causes your pouch to stretch along with overeating. There is always a chance that you have stretched your pouch. you might need to do a pouch test this will also get you back on track with everything. Also, if you continue to eat the same things you will not lose you eventually need to changes things up including diet and exercise. I personally, can not eat bread, pork, and other meats. You need to remember to drink your Water. Do you attend a support group?? this has helped me during the journey..

Perhaps I should see if they can do a Pouch Stretch Test but I know if I eat too fast, do not chew everything very well, or eat too much I do suffer sliming as well as getting food stuck which once in a great while results in some brief vomiting. Everything you said makes perfect since but when you have been a life long "Foodie" its not a simple flick of a switch to change food habits or desires. The thought of never enjoying a Micro-Brewed hand crafted Ale or Beer I cannot imagine no would I desire to do so. A few slices of Coal Fired Gourmet pizza, a few Wings and a couple of Pints of Brew while watching Sports. I personally cannot see myself becoming a Monk.

I'm not sure how much total fill you have, but I do wonder if you could use some more. It could help. What does your doc say? In my experience, having proper restriction made all the difference.

One thing that helps me with Portion Control at meal times is having a small, nutritious snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. If I let myself get too hungry, something goes haywire and I really lose my ability to make good decisions. A few nuts, a piece of fruit, some cheese or yogurt, a Protein shake or bar, etc. can really help.

Also: you mention walking and biking, but how about some strength training to kick-start weight loss? Muscle tissue burns more calories day and night than any other, and it can really help to build even a little bit of muscle. If you don't have access to a gym, try sit-ups, wall push-ups, etc. Plus it can be a big psychological boost to see positive physical changes.

Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!