Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

My name's Elizabeth and I was banded on April 25. I am a little bit different from most though, because I am barely 18 years old and did it as soon as I could. My mom got a sleeve a few years ago and lost 190 pounds and I watched how wonderful she felt and wanted it for myself. However, my progression has been atypical.

For the first three days, it sucked. I was down and couldn't eat anything except liquids in small amounts. Then, though, after about five days, everything changed. I was perfectly fine and started dabbling with thicker foods and handled them perfectly. I couldn't wait for the soft solid stage! I was so tired of Cream of chicken Soup. My mom called the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office and asked if I could move on because I am handling it so well and she told me to "move as tolerated." Well, it's been about two weeks and I can eat and handle anything fine, and that's a problem.

When I first started, I could BARELY hold half a cup in my band if I was lucky! Now the swelling has gone down, and I can handle SO MUCH more and I am legitimately hungry all the time. I have learned to recognize when I am legitimately hungry and when I am not. My food choices are still good, though. I'm not eating as MUCH as I would have had I not had the surgery, so don't worry. It's way less than that, but way more than I should be able to handle.

I healed really really fast, and now I'm frustrated. I ate my dinner last night and broke into tears in front of my mom and tearing up now. I lost about 17 pounds since the start of this whole thing about three weeks ago and gained a little back. I REALLY don't think it's because of my eating habits. The doctor said that weight loss is ridiculous and I may spring back a little because it was so fast. But I don't want to gain it back! I worked SO HARD and was SO diligent with my dieting and everything! It's just that I healed way faster than expected. My first fill date is May 26.

It's two weeks out and I feel as if nothing has been done at all. I can eat a decent sized meal. Is this normal? Does this change when the band is filled? Is this just because the band is not filled, is just sitting there, and the swelling has gone down?

Please help me. It's stressing me out and I don't want to have to struggle like this for the rest of my life with this band! It seems like it's not working!

Totally normal. As people say the first 6 weeks are about healing, not about weight loss. I stalled weeks 2-5. As for being able to eat about as you did prior, normal for most people too. There are some that feel satisfied right from the surgery and most who need fills and it can take many of then to get you to the point you need to be at.

<br />Totally normal. As people say the first 6 weeks are about healing, not about weight loss. I stalled weeks 2-5. As for being able to eat about as you did prior, normal for most people too. There are some that feel satisfied right from the surgery and most who need fills and it can take many of then to get you to the point you need to be at.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thank you SO much. It's good to be reassured that I'm normal and not a freak for tolerating all this stuff.

I had surgery on March 21 this year and I can tell you that I stuggle daily trying to eat the right food and right amount. This last week I had my first group meeting and my 6 week post op visit. My weight loss had stalled and I was frustrated. Through my dr visit and group session, I found out that I am eating WAY too much. My insurance is Kaiser and they run the group meeting with a dietician and I also saw a dietician at my 6 week check up. They both told me that I should only be eating a cup of food per meal and only 3 meals a day. I know that this is SO hard, but they also reminded me of my long term goals, to to lose the weight. I have trouble with snacking and cheating, but I want to get back on track. It has been horrible since the middle of April for me with food. In the last few days, I have really worked hard to try to eat the right portions and right food and I am starting to see the scale moving downward again. Be patient with yourself. I have seen the scale move down a few pounds and then up a pound or two and sit there. Then, it will go down again. Know that you are not in this alone!

Yes, this is normal. My doctor advised me that I may gain a pound or two as well before I have my first fill. Remember, progress is progress. The fact that you are eating less and making better food choices counts for a lot toward your overall health.

Yes, this is normal. My doctor advised me that I may gain a pound or two as well before I have my first fill. Remember, progress is progress. The fact that you are eating less and making better food choices counts for a lot toward your overall health.

Thank you so much. :)

You got your surgery in DFW? I'm from there and had it two days before you. Where did you get it done?

I had surgery on March 21 this year and I can tell you that I stuggle daily trying to eat the right food and right amount. This last week I had my first group meeting and my 6 week post op visit. My weight loss had stalled and I was frustrated. Through my dr visit and group session, I found out that I am eating WAY too much. My insurance is Kaiser and they run the group meeting with a dietician and I also saw a dietician at my 6 week check up. They both told me that I should only be eating a cup of food per meal and only 3 meals a day. I know that this is SO hard, but they also reminded me of my long term goals, to to lose the weight. I have trouble with snacking and cheating, but I want to get back on track. It has been horrible since the middle of April for me with food. In the last few days, I have really worked hard to try to eat the right portions and right food and I am starting to see the scale moving downward again. Be patient with yourself. I have seen the scale move down a few pounds and then up a pound or two and sit there. Then, it will go down again. Know that you are not in this alone!

Thank you so much for the advice! I was getting so frustrated and just about to burst into tears every time I ate. This makes me feel so much better!

Don't worry, you're doing great! I didn't really start losing until after my fills.

Relax and try not to worry!

Are you doing mild exercise yet, like walking? Exercise can help you feel better and tone up while you lose.

Joan

The hunger goes away after the fills, that is their purpose :) the amount of food you eat? You have to control that.

It's very, very normal. Little to no restriction from an empty band= you're hungry and the only way you'll lose weight right now is if you eat like you've already got a good fill. I was banded probably a week before you so I'm in the same spot. I eat 1/4 c. Protein, then up to a cup of veggies, THEN 4 oz. of grains if I still want it. Three times a day, no Snacks, and I aim for 60-80g Protein per day.

After I eat my meat & veggies, yes, I'm still hungry! But I MAKE myself stop eating.

You said your mom has a gastric sleeve? Just remind yourself that she's had a different surgery than you, and her weight loss pattern will be different than yours. Banders don't usually lose a lot during "bandster hell" because they don't have restriction yet and heck, if we were people who could control our eating when we're hungry, we probably wouldn't be in this position in the first place!

I always try to control how much. That was my demon beforehand, and it's becoming my demon again now. The relief I felt when I could only eat 4 bites and feel like I ate a whole meal was so great I can't even describe it. I try to only eat three meals today. Like right now, it was Mother's Day and I loaded my plate (not intentionally. It's a lot of ribs they give you.) with Protein filled things and only ended up eating the ribs. I was still kinda hungry, but stopped myself and took the rest home to munch on tomorrow. The rest was Beans (not the sweet kind) and cole slaw as opposed to macaroni and potato salad that I normally would have gotten. So I consider tonight a small victory. :)

size10again- Yes. I have started walking my dog early in the morning before school. :) My dogs losing weight with it too. Ha!

Thank you so much. :)

You got your surgery in DFW? I'm from there and had it two days before you. Where did you get it done?

You're welcome. I had my surgery at Baylor Trophy Club. :)

Hang in there, it really does help when you start to get proper restriction with your fills. Keep coming back to the boards here for support. What helps me when Im out eating is to ask for a take out box as soon as the meal arrives and I cut it in thirds, 1 third on plate, the other 2 thirds i put in the take out box to take home. Sometimes I split the meal with my sister and give her more than half.

Elizabeth, I was in the same exact spot as you were. 10 days after surgery, I was eating like a horse and gaining weight back. I was upset and felt like nothing had changed.

I had my first fill last Thursday and got 5.5 cc's in my 14 cc band, and I have restriction. I'm eating MUCH less, and my weight loss had jumpstarted again - 6 lbs down from my weight on fill day. What you are experiencing is normal, don't let it get you down :) Just be patient, you will get there.

Now that the swelling has gone down you are in the same position that many newly banded people are in...bandster hell. This can be a miserable time but it sounds like you are doing things right...you are trying to make healthy choices and trying to control your portions. It is very normal to gain back a little weight when you start adding solids back into your diet. Don't let that frustrate you...it might take a bit of time but things will start moving in the right direction.

The best suggestion I can give you is to eat mindfully - weigh and measure out your food and then eat that portion and stop. If you are still hungry after an hour or so then have a high Protein snack. Track your calories and make sure you are eating enough...for many of us, eating too few calories can be as bad as eating too many as far as weight loss goes. For me, the first months after surgery were all about figuring out how to live with the band...how many calories do I need to eat, does low carb work better for me, how much Water should I drink, how much exercise can I realistically do, etc. Also, don't compare your weight loss to anyone elses...everyone's journey is unique. There are people on here who will lose faster than you and just as many who will lose slower than you. Comparing your weight loss to other people will just add to the frustration...

Good luck!