Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Listen to your Doctors!

I would like to share my experience with you all so you can learn from my mistake. Ive been banded for 7 weeks and initially lost 14lbs on the liquid stage after surgury and was having problem after that. I was working out like a horse - 1 hour at the gym with and average heart rate of 145 but I was also consuming and experimenting with foods. I started going for fills and .5 cc at a time - I already had 6cc put in at surgery. I got .5 cc didnt really do much I was even able to eat bread. Then I got another .5 cc and I was suppose to be on liquids and shakes but because I was able to eat the last fill right away I decided to have a piece of tofu...just one lil piece well I got stuck....and started vomiting. So much that I slipped my band. It was so horrible, painful, emotional, embarassing...please listen to your doctors and dietians. Its not worth the pain or the $$$ this will probably end up costing me. I had to go through surgury all over again. But I still have my band will this time I am sure it will be different. Please be careful all and if you feel like you are going to vomit (more than the just being stuck) CALL YOUR DOC, and dont take no for an answer!!!! My NP told me to meet her in the office at 9am after calling at 8pm and then again at 3:30am! I might not have slipped if she met me at the hospital. But I will take ownership of my own mistake and dont want this to happen to anyone!

Poor u! This second surgery must be rough on the system. How are you holding up? The fact that you hate soon after surgery might also be because doctors order are so different, some let their patient eat mushies 3 4 days after surgery, and solids a week later. The liquid diet can be torture at times, so im sure everyone can understand.

You became "cocky" thinking you can eat eerything since you had no problem with most foods. One thing though, not that i wanna blame anybody, but this could work in your advantage, most doctors do not fill the band for a couple of weeks after surgery because the stomac is still very swollen. My doctor explained that when installing the band, he needs to put Fluid in some becausw the size ofthe stomac is different from one person to the next, and if he didnt put the fluid, the band would be loose. So why did your surgeon filled yours so quickly and with so much cc? Maybe you could ask him that question, and really look into it so you dot have to pay for the new surgery.

My surgeon is totally against over filling the band as he says it causes the band to slip a lot more because of the restriction that becomes too strong. He is the surgeon who does the most procedures in canada, so he has extensive experience.

Good luck, and continue on your great loss, you will do great