Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6mo diet -- what should I really focus on?

Hi, everyone.

This week I started my 6-month medically supervised diet to get my insurance company to approve my lapband surgery. I went to see my PCP and started weight watchers, both on the recommendation of my surgeon's office.

If I'm being honest, I have no expectation of actually losing any significant amount of weight during these 6 months. My insatiable hunger will probably force me to eat more than my points allowance, or else I'll be able to do it for a while but then get weak and pig out one day, etc. If I could just follow the program and get the weight off that way, I would have lost my excess weight a long time ago...

My outlook is that the band will give me a feeling of fullness without having to eat so much, and that will be the main driving force to my weight loss. I'm not a big emotional eater, and I'm in very good health (other than severe sleep apnea), so I don't have a lot of worries on that end. I have done great on appetite suppressants before, but they wear off so quickly, my hunger comes back, and then my eating ramps back up and I gain back the weight.

So, now the question is, what should I truly focus on during the next 6 months to get myself as prepared as possible for a successful outcome to the surgery? My surgeon's office suggests "mindful eating" as a goal, but that is a bit too general for me and I'd like to hear ideas for specifics.

Here are some things that I've gathered would be helpful habits to try to adapt:

-chewing food more before swallowing

-eating and drinking at different times, not together

-seeing where I can add extra Protein and reduce the amount of bread in my diet

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on what I should be focusing on during these 6 months to make me as prepared as possible for a successful lapband surgery outcome.

Thanks!

How long have you been going to your PCP? I completely bypassed the 6 month diet. I've had the same doctor for many years. I made an appt and told him I needed a letter from him stating I had dieted in the past. I had the letter the next day and surgery the next week.

Interesting. I meet with my surgeon and his insurance expert at the end of the month, so I'll be sure to ask if this kind of letter would do the trick. I've seen my current PCP for about 6 years.

When I called my insurance and got the exact details on the approval process for the surgery, they told me my plan requires a 6-month *medically-supervised* diet. They said Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig would qualify, but not anything online -- you have to go to meetings in person. They want a record of you seeing a doctor/some sort of professional regularly and being weighed in and counciled on weight loss strategies.

It's definitely frustrating, but the amount of money I will save by having insurance pay for 90% of the surgery is worth it and I'll put up with the hoops... But thanks for the heads up to ask about this kind of letter.

How long have you been going to your PCP? I completely bypassed the 6 month diet. I've had the same doctor for many years. I made an appt and told him I needed a letter from him stating I had dieted in the past. I had the letter the next day and surgery the next week.

I had to do a 6 month weight loss program before I could be approved. I didn't lose much- it went up & down but I ended up at 11 pounds down when it was over. I think your best bet in preparing for life with the band is to try to always eat Protein first when you have a meal, and to have protein at every meal. Also, it might help to make yourself eat slower than you're used to, and to plan your meals for the day. All of these things will help you post-band. Good luck!

I too am on the six month supervised diet. For me I'm learning to make healthier choices, and I'm trying to train my mind to stop eating when I'm satisfied, and to say no to my favorite fatning foods or to not consume so much of it. This has also been a good time for me to get use to a good Protein drink, and to start a small exercise plan. I own an elipticle but could only do five minuets at first now I'm up to fifteen minutes. I do count calories, and my doctor told me to try to stay at 1200 calories. I've been used to eating over 2000 calories a day so that seemed hard so I just cut down to 1800 calories at first, then worked down to 1500 calories and now I'm between 1200 and 1300 calories. I just think this is the time to get your mind in the right place to face the hunger and craving issues, to find foods that you can live with eating, and to work on finding the right exercise plan that you can live with. Take it slow and work your way to find what works best for you and your lifestyle. I'm learning to cook healthier and choose healthier foods at the grocery, although healthier foods are so much more expensive.

My doctor told me those who are sucessful in their efforts before surgery will more likely to be successful after surgery because you're already conditioning your mind, and your habits, and the lapband takes hard work and dedication that we will already be use too. At first I was like " I dont want to lose a lot of weight because I didnt want to be ineligable for surgery" but as I read other posts it only helps you later and the insurance goes by your starting weight which for me was 282. I've lost seven pounds in two weeks. I'm only a month in the diet but it took me two weeks to get my mind right, but once I did it has been good so far. Best luck to you!

I had to do 12 months !

The bottom line is 1200 calories a day, and 60 - 80 G of Protein.

Add up your calories on myfitness.com

and incorporate some exercise in it even walking for starts.

Get a good Protein shake Check ebay out on this.

Get a good chewable Vitamin that contains CHOLINE. Keeps you Peppy.

Thats it.

Shirley.