Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still too fat for cosmetic surgery?

I am someone who only wants to be 200lbs and at minimum 190 and people would still call this overweight also so I know what you mean about the ideal weight being relative to the individual and more power to ya for that! I personally think some "ideal weights" are too skinny for certain people- they just dont look right IMO, no offense to anyone.Offering a little insight for your query though, I would think the reason that your doctor had no problem operating on your knee when you were even heavier is because it was a medical necessity- not cosmetic. Big difference! Plus the weight tends to be a factor in having knee replacement unless of course you're injured in an accident- in which case again the benefit of surgery would outweigh any risks your weight could cause. I also understand that one reason PSurgeons dont want to touch someone who is still overweight/obese is because for one they have their stats and having an unsuccessful surgery looks bad on them- that is if A- something were to happen during surgery because as an overweight person we are still considered high risk medically, even if we love the way we look. and B- your outcome would not be the ideal since you're not within the ideal weight range- thats simply not the before & after a PSurgeon wants to show, their profession is about perfection after all. And most importantly because of something you actually proved the point on-- you said that you loosened your band because of reflux and you started to gain weight so you were going back for a fill. So with the doctor's point in mind that would say that not only are you not at an ideal goal but you are not at a stable weight. We all have the band to learn better eating habits but the habits have to be maintained by us or else the band can't work and certainly neither will PS. Doctors like to see that you have maintained your weight loss before doing PS because if you gain it all back and stetch the skin out again whats the point? Its their job to choose good condidates as well as it is to to do a good job. He probably could have explained his position a little more but Im guessing that was what would give him pause about working with someone not at his ideal weight nor at even their own stablized goal weight. It makes sense since you see so many people have to go through several different weight loss surgeries and do PS more than once because their weight is not stable which is condusive to their habits not yet being stable, a conciocunses doctor would definitely have a stand on these issues for whats in the best interest of you as the patient and of course himself as a provider. But there's always going to be a doctor out there who will do what others won't. But I would wonder if he has your best interest at heart or is it just looking for a paycheck? Get several opinions and find a doctor you can develop a good understanding with who has the same vision for your body that you do! Best of luck!

I would say that to have a Medial Thigh Lift and to have it be OK- You might need to lose some more weight

The fact of this surgery being that the skin is held with internal stitches to stop scar migration downwards is one of the big parts of it - The less fat you have - The less weight is pulling against the scar.

If you have spoken to a surgeon and he says to lose weight - I can kinda understand why. I was 145lbs when I had mine and I do have a tny bit of scar migration on one leg. And I had little fat left under the skin. I know you are comfortable at the weight you are - But you have to be able to see the whole picture and the surgeon needs to know the he can do a good job. It is a working together type of thing - To keep expectations realistic, and to be in the right place weight loss wise for it to be an effective surgery.

Good Luck