Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't mean to be rude, but you've been pushing the no bands to a lot of people (whether you say you're anti-band or not). By coming out and telling us about the failure rate of 50% makes me question how good the surgeon is that you chose. My surgeon is from a center of excellence and puts people through lots of "hoops" (as many call it) to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. My dr has had an extremely low number of complications, no deaths and very, very few removals. So rather than blaming the band...You may want to tell people to look into a better surgeon.

This really is about how good the dr is. Do they truly understand what they're doing? Do they have a passion for this? Are their staff truly there to help you? Do they get to know you? I can answer yes to all of those and many more questions. The tool is only as good as the operator (whether that be the surgeon that places it or the person that continues to use it in the future....you). So yes, there can be problems but consider where you're putting the blame before going on so many posts telling people not to get the band. (I'm not 100% pro band - follow my posts - I've told people straight forward they are not right for the band! Because if you want a quick fix, if you think the band is going to do it for you, if you think the pounds are just going to drop, if you don't want to exercise...you need to look for something else!)

I don't mean any disrespect but I hope people are on here for the truth and to research for themselves.

I've had my band for two years now. I met with the surgeon on Monday and he said that, while he was really excited about banding when it first came out and was all for it as a weight loss option, he is finding that he has to take out about 50% of the bands he puts in. Even if he were exaggerating and he really only takes out 30% of the bands he puts in, that's still a really high failure rate.

I'm not anti-band because it does work for many, but the emerging failure rate is something that you should know about before you go into this. Make sure you discuss your situation with a doctor that has zero financial interest in your decision. A band clinic wants to sell you bands so of course they will tell you what you want to hear. At the very least, consult with a surgeon who does all types of WLS who can give you a more rounded opinion.

I had a BMI of 32 and my PCP refused to refer me to a surgeon. He also told me I just needed to eat less and exercise more. What did the a**hole think I had been trying to do for the last 25 years? Needless to say I went to see the surgeon of my choice without a referral. I was told that the nband was a good choice for someone like me and as I had a lower BMI I was actually more likely to lose 100% of my excess weight than someone with a higher BMI.

Turn the clock forward 2 years and where am I?

24kg lighter and I couldn't be happier. My BMI is right where it should be and I can now fit into an Aus size 6 jeans ( I think that is a US 2). The only problem is that they are still a bit baggy around the butt! Can't go smaller as they won't do up around my middle.

I do not have reflux.

I am not too tight.

I eat a well balanced diet with foods from all food groups(including junk sometimes)

I do not journal

I eat what I want to eat but with a focus on healthy options.

Yes sometimes I get stuck. When I do it is usually my own fault for not chewing properley etc.

Sometimes it is because the food is too dry/tough.

I do have one regret and that is that I didn't get banded sooner. It would have been nice to have had a healthy weight earlier instead of waiting until my late 40s.

I don't mean to be rude, but you've been pushing the no bands to a lot of people (whether you say you're anti-band or not). By coming out and telling us about the failure rate of 50% makes me question how good the surgeon is that you chose. My surgeon is from a center of excellence and puts people through lots of "hoops" (as many call it) to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. My dr has had an extremely low number of complications, no deaths and very, very few removals. So rather than blaming the band...You may want to tell people to look into a better surgeon.

This really is about how good the dr is. Do they truly understand what they're doing? Do they have a passion for this? Are their staff truly there to help you? Do they get to know you? I can answer yes to all of those and many more questions. The tool is only as good as the operator (whether that be the surgeon that places it or the person that continues to use it in the future....you). So yes, there can be problems but consider where you're putting the blame before going on so many posts telling people not to get the band. (I'm not 100% pro band - follow my posts - I've told people straight forward they are not right for the band! Because if you want a quick fix, if you think the band is going to do it for you, if you think the pounds are just going to drop, if you don't want to exercise...you need to look for something else!)

I don't mean any disrespect but I hope people are on here for the truth and to research for themselves.

Actually it's the third surgeon I've consulted who reported this, so I've seen my fair share of surgeons by now, and all three can't figure out the problem. I don't want to come across as anti-band because I think it does work really well for many people, I just want to stress the concept of getting opinions from people who aren't selling you a product. It's a fact that people are desperate to lose weight, and desperate people don't always make the best decisions.

I'm not sorry I got my band because now I know that I've tried the less invasive route before I remove most of a major organ of the body. I didn't want to live with the giant 'what if' hanging over my head. I just wish it had worked out better for me, but it's hard to predict side effects ahead of time. The same can be said of all the surgeries.

I get what you are saying. I personally would prefer to not have all candy coated info about something as important as this. I remember a time, I didn't want to hear a negative thing anyone had to say but I'm listening now. I want to know everything. This is LapBandTalk not HappyWithTheLapBandTalk...,,I love hearing success stories as much as the next person but I want to hear the bad too so I can prepare and make the right decisions. I don't want to be one that says,,if I had it to do over again.,,I guess I should say, I haven't had any surgery yet but the day I was at my pre op consult..I was asked by a nurse if I would rather not have the sleeve instead. Alot of people were getting revisions and the sleeve was more successful.. and this was from the office of one of the largest bariatric institutes in Ky. Is that making me decide on the sleeve,,no, not yet. I'll end up making the choice that's right for me but I do want to hear about both sides.

Thank you for the clarification on that. I hope people are coming on here looking for the truth and I'd hope a bad experience wouldn't sway them one way or the other. I hope you're successful with any route that you take in the future.

Actually it's the third surgeon I've consulted who reported this, so I've seen my fair share of surgeons by now, and all three can't figure out the problem. I don't want to come across as anti-band because I think it does work really well for many people, I just want to stress the concept of getting opinions from people who aren't selling you a product. It's a fact that people are desperate to lose weight, and desperate people don't always make the best decisions.

I'm not sorry I got my band because now I know that I've tried the less invasive route before I remove most of a major organ of the body. I didn't want to live with the giant 'what if' hanging over my head. I just wish it had worked out better for me, but it's hard to predict side effects ahead of time. The same can be said of all the surgeries.