Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months and still vomiting daily

need help please

i'm 9 months into the band and i still cause myself (not intentional) to vomit by either eating to fast or too much.

my questionb is, what is the long term complications if this continues?

is anyone having this priblem?

How do you know when to stop the eating?

Are curtain foods harder to swallow then others?

any help is appriciated

julie

You are probably too tight. I put up with that for a month thinking I couldn't be too tight because my last fill was a small one. WRONG. They took just a tiny bit out and it made a huge difference. I can eat again and am satisfied again. I was going crazy only being able to take a few bites of things and then getting stuck. I would talk to your doctor's office.

The long term complications of so much vomiting is that your band could slip. As far as how do I know when to stop eating...from the beginning, I have weighed and measured all of my food (4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies). I eat until the good is gone (or until I feel full) and then I stop. For the most part, I'm not full when I stop eating but I am not hungry anymore.

Have you talked to the psychologist? I feel like you need to deal with the mental problems of overeating.. because something is isn't right if you have been making yourself sick for almost a year!!

I am 4 mos post up and still vomiting. Surgeon checked the band. Turned out to be post op anxiety. Doing much better now with counseling and meds..good luckl.

I am 7 months out and have lost 72 lbs. My last fill was Feb. 22 and I threw up for about 3 weeks after. When I was going to make an appt. with Dr. it stopped. The reason I think it happens to me is because I don't chew my food correctly or I swallow it too fast. So I have to really pay attention to how I chew my food and take smaller pieces. This a.m. I got stuck on eggs. I eat eggs just about every morning. Again I was not paying attention. I did throw up mucus. I also think that since it is allergy season that is not helping. When I sit down to eat I have to really concentrate on my chewing. Why does it take so long to get used to?

It sounds like it is being caused because you might not be chewing your food well enough --

and eating too fast!

SLOW DOWN -- chew your food alot.

The long term effects is BULIMIA.....not a good thing.

My doctor has told me that she had a patient that was continually throwing up (regurgitating...) her food.

And eventually it ruined her esophagus

they had to take out the band - and part of her esophagus..........so not a happy ending.

Try and get it under control with your eating habits -

and still I would mention/talk to your doctor about it.

hope this helps.

A few things come to mind. Are you throwing up every time you eat? Your band might already have slipped. If not, you might be eating too fast, taking bites that are too big, or not chewing well enough. If it has gone on for 9 months, you need to check in with your surgeon and get things checked. You might be a little too full, or there might have been some damage done.

If it continues, your band might slip--no matter the cause of the vomiting. If you are eating too much, your esophagus can dilate and act as part of the stomach, which can be very damaging to the esophagus.

A slip does not automatically mean that your band will be removed, but the sooner it is treated the less likely is a removal. A slip is where the stomach comes up through the confines of the band and gets trapped. The first level of treatment if it is small is to unfill the band and see if it resolves.

There are some foods that tend to be harder for bandsters to eat. Some people have problems with dense breads and rolls, dried fruit, nuts, eggs, Pasta, popcorn, oranges and grapefruits with the membranes, fish or shrimp, high-Fiber vegetables, and meats with gristle. Everyone is different though, and what gets stuck for me might not get stuck for you.

When I was first banded I had a problem with not eating slowly and chewing well, so I started a ritual when I sat down to eat. Before I take a bite I pause for a moment to remind myself that I need to take my time. I also tell myself to chew well and listen for the whisper that I am satisfied. Satiety means I am done. If I wait until I am "full" then I am miserable.