Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band removed

Just curious out there. I had my lap band in July 2010. Well as soon as I had it put in I felt this strong anxiety of I need this object out of my body. Well I did not tell no one except for when I got on here for support n the people on here told me to just relax n get used to it, chill out. Well I tried so about 2 weeks later i had a major panic attack n I had to tell my husband n the reason I din't wanna tell him is because I had wanted it for years people, years. So to make a long story short, my Dr Ross whom is just wonderful person put me on Anxiety med and it did it's job for so long and fast forward to ten months later April 2011, went in and talked with him n he said he thinks I tried my best and that he will now take it out. Thank God ,Thank God. Dr Ross said there is a very few select few that cannot handle objects in there body and I'm just in that %. I know it's affective because Ive heard to many of yall being sussecefull with it. I lost about 25/30 lbs but for me it was the ten worst months of my life beside my mother passing. I was just wondering if this has happened to any one else out there. So I've had it out for 5 day's now and I could not be happier. Not sure what my direction of becoming a healthier person is but I surely no it can be done. Glad the lap band has worked for so many but so thankful I got to get mine out:)))

Just curious out there. I had my lap band in July 2010. Well as soon as I had it put in I felt this strong anxiety of I need this object out of my body. Well I did not tell no one except for when I got on here for support n the people on here told me to just relax n get used to it, chill out. Well I tried so about 2 weeks later i had a major panic attack n I had to tell my husband n the reason I din't wanna tell him is because I had wanted it for years people, years. So to make a long story short, my Dr Ross whom is just wonderful person put me on Anxiety med and it did it's job for so long and fast forward to ten months later April 2011, went in and talked with him n he said he thinks I tried my best and that he will now take it out. Thank God ,Thank God. Dr Ross said there is a very few select few that cannot handle objects in there body and I'm just in that %. I know it's affective because Ive heard to many of yall being sussecefull with it. I lost about 25/30 lbs but for me it was the ten worst months of my life beside my mother passing. I was just wondering if this has happened to any one else out there. So I've had it out for 5 day's now and I could not be happier. Not sure what my direction of becoming a healthier person is but I surely no it can be done. Glad the lap band has worked for so many but so thankful I got to get mine out:)))

Wow!! I did not have my band removed, but, I can relate on the feelings and anxiety. At one time and due to complications I wanted it out so badly. My tubing from the band port just came out through one of my incisions. I had 2 inches of tubing protruding from my stomach. Scary as hell let me tell you. With this occuring I had to get a second surgery just months after I had the band installed. It was during this surgery that they also discovered that my port just unattached and doc could not explain why. The second surgery was worse than the first by far. I ended up with 3 more large incisions and have scars from one end of my belly to the other. I remember the feeling of helplessness and frustration of wanting the band out and I also had to use medication for anxiety. My wife was and has been a God sent to me. She has been extremely supportive and helped me pull through the emotional ordeal and I love her all that much more. Don't know what would have happened without my wife's support. I do know exactly how you felt though!

You and your doctor are correct. The band is not for everyone and you probably did the right thing. I'm know there is lots more that you fast forwarded that we don't know. The biggest advice I can offer is take what you've learned from being banded and you will succeed with good health. As for me, I am emotionally ok now, but, If one day I must have the band removed there are many things that I have learned about diet and eating behaviors that I will always be thankful for. Good luck to you and never look back, just forward. Prayers out to you. jake

Wow!! I did not have my band removed, but, I can relate on the feelings and anxiety. At one time and due to complications I wanted it out so badly. My tubing from the band port just came out through one of my incisions. I had 2 inches of tubing protruding from my stomach. Scary as hell let me tell you. With this occuring I had to get a second surgery just months after I had the band installed. It was during this surgery that they also discovered that my port just unattached and doc could not explain why. The second surgery was worse than the first by far. I ended up with 3 more large incisions and have scars from one end of my belly to the other. I remember the feeling of helplessness and frustration of wanting the band out and I also had to use medication for anxiety. My wife was and has been a God sent to me. She has been extremely supportive and helped me pull through the emotional ordeal and I love her all that much more. Don't know what would have happened without my wife's support. I do know exactly how you felt though!

You and your doctor are correct. The band is not for everyone and you probably did the right thing. I'm know there is lots more that you fast forwarded that we don't know. The biggest advice I can offer is take what you've learned from being banded and you will succeed with good health. As for me, I am emotionally ok now, but, If one day I must have the band removed there are many things that I have learned about diet and eating behaviors that I will always be thankful for. Good luck to you and never look back, just forward. Prayers out to you. jake

Thank you Jake, for the info. Wow, Yes I would have really freaked out if that would have happened to me, glad your were able to get through it and it's working for you n yes My husband n my Dr were just God sent. So thankful for the both of them. I go back in to get my wounds checked and see how all is healing up but I really, really feel great. Your right though as far as taking what I did learn n I'm praying I can do just that and learn from the time that I did have it in. It's kind of funny but when I'm eating now. I still want drink my Water with my food n I'm still eating smaller amounts of food. So not sure if that's gonna go away or not and I'm also eating slowly, counting in my mind as I'm chewing. lol, It's funny how that is staying with me and I really hope it stays with me. I have lost a couple of pounds now n I honestly thinks it's because I din't have the stress/anxiety with it no more. Thankful for people who try n understand n that I hear there stories helps me also. How long have you had yours in now. Ive had a few of my freind had the gastric bypass n they are doing wonderful n my brother has had it done about 2 yrs now n has lost about 55 but you know not a steady of eating always the right way. Thanks for sharing and anybody else stories would be helpful. I need all the help now that I have no band. Thank you again. Trish:)

Hi trish1

I'm glad to hear your happy and congratulations to you. Although I have only had the lap band for little over a week I did experience alot of anxiety 3 days post surgery and I actually told my doctor I wanted it removed, he told me I had to wait at least a month because it could be dangerous to remove so soon. He also told me to give it time and see if I could adjust to it. I told him if in a month I felt the same I wanted it removed, he agreed.

I am doing better and am willing to try. Its not so much that I have something foreign in my body but the nausea and gas. I rarely ever suffered from nausea prior to surgery and if that does not go away with time I will have it removed, nausea will be hard to live with on a nightly basis!

How do you feel now that it is out? Did you have to be on a liquid diet after removal? Is your stomach back to its pre lap band state?

Hi trish1

I'm glad to hear your happy and congratulations to you. Although I have only had the lap band for little over a week I did experience alot of anxiety 3 days post surgery and I actually told my doctor I wanted it removed, he told me I had to wait at least a month because it could be dangerous to remove so soon. He also told me to give it time and see if I could adjust to it. I told him if in a month I felt the same I wanted it removed, he agreed.

I am doing better and am willing to try. Its not so much that I have something foreign in my body but the nausea and gas. I rarely ever suffered from nausea prior to surgery and if that does not go away with time I will have it removed, nausea will be hard to live with on a nightly basis!

How do you feel now that it is out? Did you have to be on a liquid diet after removal? Is your stomach back to its pre lap band state?

Hi trish1

Yes, that's what Dr Ross told me to give it time n they put me on anxiety med n I have to say for a lil while it would work but I could be in a movie or sitting in a car and all of a sudden it would hit, like omg I have to have this out asap, so I would take my med but the med kept getting higher n I was losing very slow. I lost about 30 ponds in ten months but it wasnt about me becoming healthy anymore it was I was not healthy because of all my panic attacks I was having but that's the only problem I had with it. When I over ate the band would do it's job n it would come back up but never bothered me because it kind of taught me when to stop so I would not spit it back up but yea I did do that a few times but it really taught me to stop. So I believe the Dr's are right that your bodies have to get used to it and some times they do and you learn how to eat and what to eat n lol also not to eat. So after ten months my Dr said he feels I gave it my best shot n like I said my problem was different from others, it was almost clostiphobia for me n I HAD to get it out, even if I had to go to mexico I was getting it out but thankful I din't have to do that and when Dr Ross said ok let's do it this past monday, I just started crying so hard, I could not believe it n the last thing I said on the operating table was I Love you Dr Ross. lol, but I am truely greatful he just knew Id gving my all and it was time to take it out. So please try first n learn from the warning signs. It's teaching us ok it's time to either slowwwwwwww down or to stop. lol, I hope I have helped a lil but it's helped so many so if it's not the object in your body I would say try n try again until you learn it and the decide from there but it's just a thought but I do know if they would have taking it out that day I had it put in, I sooooo would have had it taking out but I guess they just want us to try first since it is a serious operation but I'm feeling great n I have my reject on wed. So prayers going out for yall n I sure need em also. thanks so much. Need any more questions, I'll be happy to help the best I can because I have to say I had learned to slow down n eat and to stop.lol Thanks again Trish:)

P.S. Apple 4 teacher, No I din't have to be on a liquid diet. I was told to just start eating slow, so the first day I ate very lil , like some Soup and he told my acid reflux woud come back gradully but as of yet it has not but if he said it would I'm sure it will evently but I'm trying still so, I no it's possible but I do know it just harder not to have the help:) but I just could not have an object in my body. It was the worst ten months n I feel 100% better. I just feel as if I can breath n no more clostphobic n no more anxiety med. whoo hooo. So thankful:))

That's a shame for you, but you just never know how you'll react to something. Thank goodness the band is reversible and you can undo your decision relatively easily and be back to normal.

rolleyes.gif It is awful I could not handle the object in my body but yes so,so,so very thankful I was able to get it out. Thank YOusmile.gif