Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Restriction but now feeling weak & tired alot

I just got my second fill and now have good restriction, however I have noticed that I am weak and tired alot of the time. Has anyone else experienced this. I am wondering if this has to do with the lack of food in comparison to what I use to eat I hear alot of people talk about Protein Shakes but have not yet tried any. There seems to be so many on the market and I don't want to spend the money on them and then not like them. Alot of people I have talked to say they are grainy and taste like crap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you taking a Multivitamin with enough Vitamin D and Iron? Lack of calories can make you feel tired/weak as well. Maybe try eating more fats/carbs.

As for Protein shakes, I'd recommend them but I wouldn't. They will not keep you full for long and should really only be used in the case that you need a quick and on-the-go source of protein/nutrients; not something that should be part of your everyday meals, IMO.

If you go the Protein route, try buying some casein or a casein blend protein and add it to yogurts, oatmeal, etc. I wouldn't rely on Protein drinks, not if you're weeks out from surgery. Just my opinion!

What are you eating? Can you post a typical day's menu?

Typical Day

Carnation Instant Breakfast drink for Breakfast (I am tight in the morning)

Mid morning I ususally have a yogurt or sugar free pudding cup.

lunch I try and have cottage cheese and maybe tuna salad

dinner Soup and a vegatable

Typical Day

Carnation Instant Breakfast drink for breakfast (I am tight in the morning)

Mid morning I ususally have a yogurt or sugar free pudding cup.

lunch I try and have cottage cheese and maybe tuna salad

dinner Soup and a vegatable

Ok...first thing I'd do is run your menu through Fitday.com. I can't tell from this since I don't how how much yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. or brand (which makes a difference) so can't guesstimate your Protein, but I'm going to speculate that your problem may be that you're just not getting enough calories or grams of Protein. You should be getting a minimum of 60gm protein. Your needs may even be more depending on a number of factors, 60 is usually the minimum.

According to my surgeon, Protein shake is fine for breakfast but recommended another mid-morning if I felt the need. I used the EAS powder from Sam's Club and mix it with unsweetened almond milk to keep both calories and carbs down (160 calories, 4 carbs, 25gm protein). It's also much higher in protein than many of the retail shakes like Carnation.

lunch should be (according to surgeon) 3-4 oz protein and 1/2-1 cup vegies. No sliders. Things like soup and yogurt were discouraged...but I think that's a personal thing as long as you aren't hungry and it gets you to the next meal.

Oops...just noticed you said you *just* got a fill, in which case sliders are ok for a few days until swelling goes down, but I'd definitely go for the higher protein. Even adding whey Protein Powder to your carnation instant drink would bulk up the protein. If, after 2 weeks, you still can only eat sliders, you might need a bit of an unfill.

You are definitely not eating enough and probably are Vitamin deficient. You need to increase your calories and not rely on Soup for dinner you should be eating meat of some kind or some substantial Protein anyway. You should be taking supplements also. If you are not eating only that I would go for a high calorie Protein Shake in the morning instead of carnation instant Breakfast which provides you with not enough protein. I like EAS Protein Shakes already mixed they are not too sweet nor too chalky they taste good to me. I would consider some hot cereals in the morning like cream of wheat maybe with a little yogurt mixed in it. I also like the kashi hot Cereal it has nine grams of protein and mixed with some yogurt it comes out to about 15 grams of protein for breakfast and cream of wheat has Iron. Are you taking your Vitamins that is important.