Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to forum... and to my band!

hi every one..

this is the second time Ive written this because my stupid internet crashed. If it double posts. im so sorry!

ok.. im a 31 year old housewife in the kansas city area (KS side).

I had the lap band on 4.20.11 ... lol *snickers at 420*

I have TONS of questions that the dr and dietition have been no help with.

First.. im lactose AND whey intollerant. The liquid diet the drs had me on has put me in AGONY... ive had UNBELIEVEABLE gas thats beyond painfull. What can I take for the gas? What kind of 'protine shake' works for people like me?

im also vegitarian... (much to the snarling of the dietition) so yeah.. veg friendly please.

Oh... and has anyone else had to argue with the dietition about HOW they got fat?? She tried to argue with me that if I really WAS vegitarian then I woudlnt be fat. Im adopted. My entire family are about as SKINNY SKINNY as you can get... then there is me... adopted... and 280 lbs (down from 400 lbs three years ago... seriously). ate teh same as my parents my whole life and im picky to boot.. yet... fat. dietition told me that 'there is no such thing as dna to make you fat' . Ummm... what ever. I KNOW its not all the fast food she tried to tell me it was cause we dont EAT fast food... what would we eat?? salad bar on the run? lol

Anyhow... I really would like to make some friends because I dont know ANYONE here in this city. Im from washington state but my husbands job means we move alot :*( Ive been here since january and Ive only had the lady who comes to clean the room talk to me... Yeah yeah yeah... i live in a motel. god this sucks. Hope I dont sound too pathetic!

In my spare time (ok.. who am I kidding... ALL my time..) I like to cook, bake, and had to give them up totaly.. Now Im sewing alot (journals mostly).

Bored in Kansas....

Amy M.

HI,

I was banded on the 19th. Sorry I don't have any suggestions re: veg or whey. I just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find all the support you need here.

hi every one..

this is the second time Ive written this because my stupid internet crashed. If it double posts. im so sorry!

ok.. im a 31 year old housewife in the kansas city area (KS side).

I had the lap band on 4.20.11 ... lol *snickers at 420*

I have TONS of questions that the dr and dietition have been no help with.

First.. im lactose AND whey intollerant. The liquid diet the drs had me on has put me in AGONY... ive had UNBELIEVEABLE gas thats beyond painfull. What can I take for the gas? What kind of 'protine shake' works for people like me?

im also vegitarian... (much to the snarling of the dietition) so yeah.. veg friendly please.

Oh... and has anyone else had to argue with the dietition about HOW they got fat?? She tried to argue with me that if I really WAS vegitarian then I woudlnt be fat. Im adopted. My entire family are about as SKINNY SKINNY as you can get... then there is me... adopted... and 280 lbs (down from 400 lbs three years ago... seriously). ate teh same as my parents my whole life and im picky to boot.. yet... fat. dietition told me that 'there is no such thing as dna to make you fat' . Ummm... what ever. I KNOW its not all the fast food she tried to tell me it was cause we dont EAT fast food... what would we eat?? salad bar on the run? lol

Anyhow... I really would like to make some friends because I dont know ANYONE here in this city. Im from washington state but my husbands job means we move alot :*( Ive been here since january and Ive only had the lady who comes to clean the room talk to me... Yeah yeah yeah... i live in a motel. god this sucks. Hope I dont sound too pathetic!

In my spare time (ok.. who am I kidding... ALL my time..) I like to cook, bake, and had to give them up totaly.. Now Im sewing alot (journals mostly).

Bored in Kansas....

Amy M.

Hi Amy -

As far as getting your Protein, there are a lot of good soy Protein options on the market. I know GNC carries some in their stores but of course you have the entire internet to shop on.

Sorry to hear about your nutritionist - I thought it was common knowledge now that obesity can be genetic. It must have been hard growing up with family who was naturally thin while you struggled - I can't imagine!

Why give up what you like to do? I also enjoy cooking and baking and there's still a lot you can do post-op espeically once you get onto soft and solid foods. Have you joined the My Lap Band Journey website? There's a lot of great recipes on there. You can also work on trying to convert your favorite recipes into healthier options.

How frequently do you move that you are staying in a hotel or is that just temporary until you find some place to rent?

hi im new

, ok will i live in port macquaire N.S.W sydney Australia and im not banded yet thinking about it and watching blogs like this one to get the low down ,I have private health ins but im only 3 months into it and have to wait the 12 months :(

iv tryed lots of stuff to get the weight off , im 103ks and im 5,6 tall so i dont look to bad , but thats not the reason i wont to get rid of the flab because i want to 1 im feeling it 2 i would like to be around to see my son get hitched and have children, iv only been over weight from the age of 34 , that was when i meet my now hubby mm funny that !! o and i love food , im a great cook and just love to cook and love foooooooood sooo bad its my fix

Welcome to the forums. Both the Vitamin Shoppe and Vitamin World have a good selection of different types of Protein. You can check both of them out online. Are you able to have soy, coconut or almond milk? I mix my shakes and make my protein icecream with them rather than skim or lowfat milk, they seem to make it creamier. Also check out the website "the world according to eggface" she has a great selection of recipes and many of them are vegetarian. Hope this information helps and best of luck on your journey!!!

Like everyone else said there are a lot of protien shake option for vegetarians. Just keep in mind a good protien drink has 20gms or more of protien per serving, 7gms or less of carbs/sugar, 5gms or less of fat (all per serving). Have you tried mixing with almond milk? Haven't tried that mixture yet, tho almond milk alone isn't too bad. Also check out the special K drink mixes, some of those also have added protien.