Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Bandster in need of HELP

I just had surgery on Friday. I am at the "what was I thinking?" stage right now. Instead of being able to go home yesterday, I am still stuck in the hospital because I am unable to keep fluids down. During my barium test, it showed that the barium did go through...about two drops worth in 10 minutes. Everything has just been sitting in my esophagus. I have been taking in just a few drops at a time and am okay until I do it a few times and it seems to build up in my esophagus and then the horrible chest pain comes and I start sliming and it eventually all comes up. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I cannot even imagine food at this point if I cannot even take in a few drops of water! They have me "under observation" to see if I will be able to keep any clear fluids down...they seem to think my esophagus is still swollen from the surgery. Please tell me it will get better than this! Worst case scenario I was already told was they would remove the band altogether, and at this point, I do not think I would mind it!

Slow down! don't be in such a rush to take in the fluids, since you may have more swelling than usual. They should have an IV to keep you hydrated, and by forcing yourself on the fluids, you could be causing additional irritation!

IF they filled the band in surgery, I would ask the physician to unfill. Some physicians like to start you off bootcamp style.

Give it time, your band will become your best friend, but you have to listen to it, take it easy when it stops you!

No the surgeon did not fill during surgery (actually all of the reports I have seen about him is that he is very slow and reluctant towards fills). At this point they have taken me off of fluids so now I am so beyond thirsty. I have kept down 2 oz of apple juice for 6+ hours...their biggest concern being the nausea. The problem is is that I am not nauseous, it is just that it is all sitting in my esophagus and it is not like I am retching, I literally can open my mouth and can bring stuff up (even now, I know and can feel the apple juice still sitting there). They want me to take in fluids before they release me, if it was up to me, I would have just tried again in a few days! I guess my biggest concern is, will it get better? Will I get to the point of being able to take a normal drink of Water? Because if it was continuous micro baby sips, I could never imagine getting to the food point! Thank you for answering me...assurance is always a good thing!

I know patients who did not believe there was fill in their band at the time of surgery. I believe most bands have some fill, a very small amount. Regardless, being thirsty and needing hydration are two separate issues. It is not uncommon though not prevalent either, the symptoms you report.

As your physician straight up, how much fill is in the band, how much came with the new band, how much was flushed during the procedure, etc. What anti inflamitories is the physician administering, what other complications could have occurred if the physician feels this is not a normal situation. The lap band is a tool, and you are its master, so be prepared to be inquisitive!

There might be stuff in there because when I asked the PA at my post op appointment if there was anything in my band she said they come with a little bit in them. I assume to keep it from sticking to itself, so unless the doc took this out there is probably a little something in it

Ok so little update...the surgeon just came to see me and said he thinks maybe a mixture of an air bubble or something got in my band and swelling of my esophagus is why I cannot swallow anything. They are going to try to remove the air and if I can drink some liquids then, I will be on my way home!!! Keeping my fingers crossed at this point:) Thanks for all the responses!!!

Crossing mine for you too! Good Luck!