Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from New York

Hello,

My PCP has strongly recommended that I have the Gastric Band procedure. I haven't made any doctors' appointments, but there are so many things going around in my head. So, I searched for a message board in the hopes that someone who has had the procedure might answer a few of my questions.

1) I've read something on the web about pre-op diet. What is it and how long before the procedure do you have to be on the diet?

2) Is the procedure done as an in-patient or an out-patient?

3) How long do you have to stay home from work? Are you in any pain the first week or so after the procedure?

4) I've read something on the web about the post-op diet (for a few weeks after the procedure)? What is it and how long after the procedure do you have to be on the diet?

5) After the post-op diet, what is a typical meal plan for a typical day...how much of everything?

These are just a few of the MANY questions that I have.

Anything else you can tell me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Hello,

My PCP has strongly recommended that I have the Gastric Band procedure. I haven't made any doctors' appointments, but there are so many things going around in my head. So, I searched for a message board in the hopes that someone who has had the procedure might answer a few of my questions.

1) I've read something on the web about pre-op diet. What is it and how long before the procedure do you have to be on the diet?

2) Is the procedure done as an in-patient or an out-patient?

3) How long do you have to stay home from work? Are you in any pain the first week or so after the procedure?

4) I've read something on the web about the post-op diet (for a few weeks after the procedure)? What is it and how long after the procedure do you have to be on the diet?

5) After the post-op diet, what is a typical meal plan for a typical day...how much of everything?

These are just a few of the MANY questions that I have.

To answer some of your questions:

Anything else you can tell me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Every doctor and program is different, so diets and such may vary.

My physician had me on a liquid, low carb, high Protein diet 1 week before surgery. This was to help shrink the liver to make it easier to do the surgery.

After surgery I am on a clear liquid diet for a few days, then full liquids for about 10 days, then pureed diet, then soft diet then regular diet.

My physician did a single incision laproscopic surgery which I did at the hospital under general anesthesia,. I had my procedure in the morning and was on my way home after 2pm that afternoon. I was told to take a week off of work. I had my surgery on Tuesday and plan to go back to work on Monday morning. I am 4 days post-op right now and have very little pain. I haven't had to take any pain medicine in over 24 hrs.

When I do go to eat a regular diet I was told to use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. Devote half of the plate to protein-- 3-4 oz., then for the other half divide that into a 3/4 and 1/4 compartment. The larger compartment is for vegetables and the smaller for starch. Something like 1 cup of veggies and 2 tablespoons of rice or Pasta.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Again, every doctor does it differently. I suggest looking for an MD that works with a comprehensive program that addresses the surgical,nutritional, psychological and exercise needs of each patient. My program also has monthly support groups and allows unlimited visits with the nutritionist.

Good luck with your journey!

i just had the surgery on friday 4/22 and beforehand i was on a 2 week pre op diet that consisted of oatmeal, raw veggies, yogurt, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello and no sugar added applesauce. I also had to drink 4 Protein Shakes a day... now i am on a clear liquid diet for a week and then i move onto pureed food, then soft foods, and then finally a regular diet. We too have to use a salad plate make half of it veggies 1/4 of it Protein and 1/4 starches. right now i am not hungry at all and haven't been since the surgery but the pain where the port is is very tender. i am able to get up on my own but can't bend over or lift anything for awhile. I am also only taking a week off of work but the surgeon said that you could potentially have the surgery on friday and go back to work on monday.

I live in NJ and if you want the name of my surgeon just let me know they are awesome