Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some questions to other bandsters

Hi All

I have read this discussion forum before and finally decided to join!

I have also had my lapband done in March 2010. Just had my first anniversary and have lost 32kgs. I have about another 15kg to go to reach my goal.

Through this whole journey I have had some ups and downs but the weight kept melting away so I never bothered with small issues. If someone can help me on the few issues I have:

1. I can eat almost anything, my restriction is great and it really lets me eat few forkfulls and then I am satisfied, but the problem is, anything sweet (cakes, puddings, candy, chocoloate, fuge etc) this I can eat with no problem and I dont feel the same restriction as when I eat something like a salad. What can this be? Maybe the sugar content lets the biteful slide through the band? I dont know, I have been confused about this one..

2. Some days I feel that I can get away with eating lets say a sandwich, then a week after I try the exact same thing again, and it gets stuck! Is it true that your band can be tighter at times??

3. Because of the restriction my band gives, I have found that eating Soup is much better for me than anything else, where I stand the risk of it getting stuck. Now, I dont know if my stuck-experiences are the same as others or if it really is a stuck episode. I just know, when I eat a big bite, chew, and swallow the whole bite, it feels like something is ripping on my kidney, the pain feels like it is in my back, I dont feel the pain where I feel my band. I can also not breath easily and and quickly off to the loo to vomit it out. is this food getting stuck? So anyway, Soup has become my best friend. I cook a big pot over the weekend and freeze them into small containers which I take to work everyday for lunch. Now, here I am very naughty, cause I make lovely soup, but I adore cheese and cream so I add both to my soup to enhance the flavour. I would hate to eat a horribly bland soup, cause then I would end up eating all kinds of sugars and chips. Does anyone else eat creamy cheesy Soups?

I love my band, and I adore my doctor and I just love the fact that I have lost all this weight. I hope to get in touch with many people on here and share some experiences.

Take care

Tess

I too have found each day I have to make certain decisions based on the results of what I eat. I have come to love Soup, and 'bland' isn't a problem. cheese does add lots of calories unless using the non-fat style. And we do not have to continue making the 'either/or' choices of healthy vs non healthy foods simply because our old favorites tend to take over our common sense. I can eat a few chips without having an entire bag any more. I'm not drawn to chips very often these days. My old nemesis Pasta and bread is also thankfully gone. Cheers on your journey.

I wouldnt be depending on Soups because that theory of eating and drinking at the same time is that with Soup. You have to learn to eat with your band and not rely on soup all the time. I dont see how eating soup you can get enough Protein. You really have to eat slow and chew well and you can eat meat without it getting stuck. You have to remember your stoma is only the size of a dime so that is what the food has to pass through.

My doctor says if you can't eat 3oz of Protein Plus veggies you are too tight. If you are eating Soups it sounds to me like you are too tight.

Thank you for the great replies so far. I think I might be too tight and will have it checked out at my next check-up with the doctor..

I love Soup. I could be a soup judge in a cook-off :) I could tell you where the best Soups are at all the restaurants in my nearest 4 towns :) In my book there is nothing wrong with eating soup. I get in meat and veggies this way.

I've had great success with the band and with eating soup. I make my own soup and chili often so I know what is going in the pot.

Great to hear that there are other soup-lovers! I live in Dubai and always trying to find new restaurants with great Soup. I even came up with my own recipes and create lovely Soups. Some are broth based, some creamy, some cheesy. I just love it. Would be nice if some people can share some recipes I would love to try something new. :-)