Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Testing my determination

The surgery center called me this mornig to talk about insurance again. My surgery is scheduled for 4/28. They told me today that I was responsible for 20% of the cost, payable on surgery day. Say What?:o I talked to the surgery center a month ago to verify I only had my $15 copay. My mind started spinning. I didn't even know how much the 20% would be. Maybe $4k? By next week? My first thought was "I'm going to have to reschedule my surgery....no!!!!!!" to "how can I scrape up the money?", then "I'll figure out some way, I am not rescheduling this!". I asked her to call my insurance company again, because I knew the 20% was a mistake. She called back 10 minutes later and confirmed I only have to pay my $15 copay. Whew!

I think this was just a "brake check" to make sure this was what I really wanted and I was willing to do anything to make it happen.

Anybody else have a "brake check" before surgery?

I've had SEVERAL! Sadly my "brake checks" sometimes led to full blown stop and pull overs BUT in the end it all worked out and I was banded. Good luck to you and congrats. Oh and thankfully you're still going to be able to move forward. Can't wait to hear how it went.

Thanks Elizabeth. I am on track for this Thursday. I am waiting for the call from the surgery center with my arrival time.

If you ever have any doubts... You get on the phone, and call your Ins. Co. first. Find out all you need to know.

Then have them call. If it's different ! You know they are double dipping.

This is not uncommon at all.

My brake check was finding out if I had a hiatal hernia. I was so nervous! My insurance has an exclusion for WLS, so the only way I realistically could afford it is if I had a hiatal hernia. I just kept telling myself if I didn't have it I would save up $4400 more (I only had to pay $5500 for the band itself). Thank God I had a hernia, but God knows I was ready to take on a 2nd job, start selling stuff on EBAY, anything to find the extra money. $15, you lucky duck!

I feel very lucky to have the insurance that I have. My doctor still requires patients to pay $3000 out of pocket for "follow up care." I'm not really sure what this care is or if it is really worth $3000. But, I really wanted this doctor because she is such an expert in her field. It was worth the peace of mind.

I found out at my post-op appointment that I had a hiatal hernia. They found it during the operation. The fixed it while they were in there at no extra charge. :)

My break was entering the program in October, being told that BCBS always approves quickly and scheduling surgery for December- then being told that whoops, my BCBS was different and I had to do a 6 month diet first. I admit, I wanted to give up right then and there, but I did it and now, looking back, that 6 months went so fast!

Yes, it does! I can't believe tomorrow I will already be 2 weeks post op. I lost 8 pounds the first week. Then 4 days into the second week I found I was bouncing back and forth on one pound. I felt a little discouragement creep in, so I had to force myself not to get on the scale for a while. I know that I am going to hit plateaus. I just have to remind myself to grin and bear it. Becase I will come to the next drop before I know it.