Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Great Skin Debate

At our WLS support group meeting last Thursday they had a plastic surgeon come in and tell us all about the wonders of plastic surgery. He made it sound as if it is inevitable result of WLS.

I don't expect to have that problem because of how my weight sits on me. I don't care about tight abs (yet). My question is, I've heard many people say that lap banders may not have as much problem because of the slowness of our weight loss. Is that true or will we have as much skin as RNYers?

Does exercise make a difference?

Does anything?

Good question. I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the face? I know I am older than most, 54, but it seems now that the weight is coming off, I look even older! yikes! I guess a face lift is next.

I think it's got to be true that slower weight loss equals less noticeable loose skin. If weight comes off overnight the skin has no time to bounce back. Perhaps eventually it would equalize over time whether the weight loss is fast or slow; one's skin elasticity is not affected by the speed of loss, after all. But a slower loss allows the shrinking skin to keep pace as the weight comes off and therefore the problem may be less of a problem at the end.

Exercise tones muscle, it doesn't do anything for skin. Water intake keeps skin hydrated, which improves its appearance. But the only things that REALLY make a difference are age, genes, and luck.

Wasnt it Courtney Cox who said a few years back that eventually you'll have to choose between your face and your bum? I think it's true. You do look older when you lose weight and your face isnt so pleasingly plum anymore.

My surgeon says less than 1 in 4 require cosmetic surgery after weight loss. I dont know that I believe that either, it seems like the other extreme to me.

I think it depends upon your age and genetics more than anything.

I think very few people actually "require" cosmetic surgery after weight loss. Only the very extreme cases actually create medical problems that would require surgical correction. Would all of us look better with a little nipping and tucking? Probably. Is that the same thing as requiring surgery? Not at all.

What is the definition of require?

I know there are several factors that go into it all. How the weight is held, muscle tone, skin type, quickness of weight loss, Vitamins taken during weight loss, condition of skin, age of said skin wearer, etc. I think because there are so many factors that it is really an individual thing. I know there are some things you can do to help minimize the need, or minimize the amount needed after extreme weight loss. Take your vitamins!!! And make sure your Protein intake is good. A good body scrub will keep your skin healthy and regenerating, and a moisturizure with no alcohol in it (a VERY common ingredient) for all over the body. And LOTS and LOTS of water!! Water is essential for good skin health.

These things are good for you no matter what, but they will at least help to make the surgey less than originally needed, should you need some.

HTH!!

Amy

I notice most of the people on LBT looked younger when they lost weight, I only noticed 1 or 2 that looked older. I am not flabby and not really concerned with the skin. I do excercise and was excercising here and there before surgery. I dont have cellulite. I feel with the weight loss if you excercise and with the slow process you may look ok. I guess it just depends on the way you are shaped and if you are already flabby.

I saw on tv the other day (don't remember what station) that drinking milk often while loosing weight will help skin bounce back and retain elasticity. I don't know for sure but it may be something to look into.

Doesnt most of it depend on the amount of weight lost? Hereditary factors, pre-weightloss weight highs, and individual characteristics all play a role. However, how much the skin is stretched pre-weightloss and age/genetics will determine the sag factor.

How much weight loss, genetics, and age! The funny thing, is is hard to distinguish what is what, when you have saggy skin. Shawn

I think you're body type and shape matter a great deal too - as they do in pregnancy.

I'm very tall and had average sized babies. I didnt gain heaps of weight in pregnancy either. Consequently, I never really needed maternity clothes, I could wear my own clothes right up to about 7 months becuase my belly just never stuck out all that much. Oh, you could tell I was pregnant but I have so much space between my hips and my ribs that I never got that enourmous belly waddling pregnant woman look. So I have not one signle stretch mark nor any loose skin from 3 pregnancies. Just lucky.

I'm also more of a pear shape than anything, my excess weight has gone on all over my body in quite even proportions. I dont have a big tummy (well not relative to the rest of me, you know what I mean). So there's no one area of my body really stretched out, I"m just a "big" person and people do goggle when they hear what I really weigh. That old "but you carry it so well".

If you're short, you often get out of pregnancy way worse. You get a huge belly, you get the stretchmarks and you get all the pregnancy discomforts. If you're an apple shape and you put all your weight on round your middle, you get a stretched out tummy.

Of course I may eat my words and run to the cosmetic surgeon's office, but I think how you carry your weight is a big factor. I might need a bumlift :-0

My DH will need to have major plastic reconstuctive surgery once he gets close to goal. He has major pani stuff going on now, and he's got about 150 pounds to go. He'll need the full body lift.

I on the other hand, want a BR and a Tummy Tuck. I feel like I need the BR and want the tummy tuck. Heh, some days lately, I feel like the TT is the only way I'll ever lose weight....

I'm blessed with good skin though. Good genes and I've avoided the sun and smoke.

I'm with Vines (except for the sun & smoke thing)

I actually have and appoinment next week regarding a Breast Reduction/Lift. I saw my band Dr. briefly last week and mentioned that I was going to see a Doc about the boobs. He said I should also talk to them about my stomach.

He said regardless of crunches/sit ups, I will have the loose skin I've got hanging around my belly. If I do go the way of the breast reduction, it makes sense for me to have work done on my stomach at the same time.

We'll see after next weeks' appoinment.

Sal

If i could afford Plastic surgery I think i might just have too..I am young (22) but the way my weight sits on my body i already have alot of skin..My arms are a biggy and flappy (AKA BAT WINGS...) and have always been that way, Around my boobs are saggy and i have NEVER had that before..And My inner thighs are horrible..I have ALOT MORE weight to loose (127lbs) i am exercising but i am not sure how much its gonna help...I shall see...guess i better start saving now!But i think its worth it..I have spent 22 years being overweight when i finally get to goal i think i deserve some surgery!Kristen