Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Convince Me to Get the Band!

Hi, all!

My name is Dana, and I'm so thankful that I stumbled across this website.

I'm in the final stages of preparing for the lap band surgery. I never thought I would consider weight loss surgery until I attended a WLS seminar and the surgeron gave the statistic that 98% of obese people will never lose the weight on their own, and if they do, they won't keep it off without surgery--not that it can't be done--it's just not likely.

It was like a light bulb went off in my head. This obesity thing--this thorn in my side--is a disease, a disease I've bee struggling with my whole life, from my earliest memories.

I have tried and tried and tried on my own, to no avail, and having a thyroid that has failed me doesn't help matters (I'm currently on .112mgs of the generic for synthroid).

Many people say that WLS is "not natural," but neither are c-sections, open-heart surgeries, eye-glasses, vaccines, gallbladder removals, biopsies, mammaograms,--I could go on and on...but neither is it "natural" to be 100lbs overweight. Through unusual circumstances I put this weight on, and through unsual circumstances I choose to take it off. I need medical intervention.

That being said, I struggle with which surgery to pursue: Lap Band (which I'd much rather have) or gastric bypass (RNY). My insurance will pay for both. My surgeon has left the decision up to me. I want to do the Lap Band, but I'm so afraid of failing. I've read the thread about thyroid problems (and the banders who have had troubles losing weight even with the band--I guess they're called "turtles").

I know that WLS is a tool--not a cure all. I am determined more than ever to make great changes in my life. I do believe I need the extra "push" of WLS in order to be successful. I know the gastric bypass is so much more scary than the Lap Band, but I also know that you're pretty much guaranteed to lose weight witht the bypass.

If you follow the rules of the gastric banding and are faithful to exercise and have your TSH normalized (between a 1 and 2), will this work? I don't care if I only lose 30lbs a year--just want to see progress (I have about 120 lbs to lose, by the way).

Also, I was wondering about the EROSION thing. How long does it usually take for the erosion to show up? Could you lose a good amount of weight before you have to have the band removed. I'd hate to put all the time, energy, money, and hope into the band, just to have it removed 2 months later.:help:

Thanks for all the responses (in advance)!!! I'm so thankful for all of you and for all of the other threads that I spent reading 'til 1:00 in the morn. this morning.

You guys are awesome!

Dana

Dana, all I have to say is that I know EXACTLY where you are. I went in search of WLS answers after realizing that there was just no way I would EVER get a handle on my lifelong weight problem, and with two small children there was a new imperative in my life to do just that.

It was those two small children who provided the answer as to which WLS as well. I needed to be HERE, and healthy enough to continue parenting. Sure, at 340 I wasn't an effective-enough parent, but how much worse would I be if I had ANY of the possible bypass complications? They can land you in the hospital repeatedly, or worse. Even a small risk of serious complications was too big a risk for me to take.

Three years later I'm a HAPPY, HAPPY bandster and a much more effective parent. I lost 120 lbs in two years, more than I ever dared believe would be possible. I've had no complications that couldn't be fixed in an office visit and it's completely changed my relationship with food. I am on Synthroid and my thyroid issues have presented no obstacle, as far as I know.

All I wanted was to stop gaining, and see if I could get some control so I could lose some. It's been more than I ever imagined and I couldn't be happier. And if, heaven forbid, something were to go wrong and I'd have to have my band removed, there is always another thing to try. Bypass leaves you with precious few choices. Why do the biggest thing first? You're incredibly lucky that your insurance will cover banding. With small children to care for why take the extra risk? My children don't have any memory of me as a morbidly obese person, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I didn't have to have major, invasive, gut-rearranging surgery to make that happen.

MOST bandsters lose weight; how much we lose is almost completely within our control. There are a few people who have situations that may prevent them from losing a lot, but on the whole the equation is easy. If you eat less after banding than you did before banding, you will lose weight. And being banded makes it much easier, overall and over time, to just.eat.less.

Welcome to LBT and I hope we can help you make your decision. Glad you found us! :biggrin1:

Hi Dana,

I can understand TOTALLY what you're going through. I've been fighting my weight all my life. There was only one time I was able to take off quite a bit and keep it off for at least 6-8 months then I got pregnant. Well it all came back and then some. It's been almost 16 years now and it's finally dawned on me I really need to do something about this. I'm 41 years old and my heals hurt and sometimes my lower back. I know it's because of the weight. Friends of mine did have RNY and were successful but, I also know of one that had soooo much trouble right from the start. I don't judge anyone that choices RNY as we all have to make the right decision for ourselves. Here is how I came to my decision....

First thought.....my healthy organs didn't do this to me...I did it. It wasn't my stomach or intestines...it was my hand into my mouth because my mind decided I wanted it. That's right....not my stomach deciding it's all in my head. Still fight that sometimes....they say here it's mind hunger not stomach hunger and they are right.

2nd thought....I researched it all from start to finish on this site and on obesityhelp and every where else I could get info. I asked questions from my Bariatric team, my PCP, my friends who had surgery and at my surgeons informational meeting. I listened to others questions and their answers...and....most of all my heart.

3rd thought....my son. If something were to happen to me...would I want him to live without me for something I elected to do? That's the question that really hit me. Because truthfully Dana I'm not afraid to die, do I want to heck no...but I am afraid to leave my son without his mom.

Lap-band is just far less intrusive, I'm not ruining or changing organs from what they are suppose to do, I've been able to lose weight in the past so I know I can do it I just need some help. The Lap-band will do that for me. I know and I"m prepared to work it. I know it's going to be a battle sometimes...sure...what in life worth having isn't? Do I think there will be days that I'll fail. Sure I do..I know there will be. But, I also know that my band will tell me...you know what Sherry....things are tight down here...knock it off lol. I have to control what I take in and always have to remember for me....One is too many and 12 isn't enough. Meaning...if I eat one chip then I'll be eating the whole bag so don't eat the one! I know the surgery will be much easier on my body than RNY as well. I think for me...I want to know that I WORKED this...I did this not my rerouted organs malnutrioning my body to do this. I have to know that I was part of this work to get my weight down.

Again...before anyone gets mad because of things I"ve said....I don't judge people on what kind of WLS they choose. It's whats best for them and it's totally their decision. I have friends who've had it and they look great and feel great and I think that's great. But for me....Lap-Band is the right choice.

Good luck with your decision Dana. Welcome to LBT B)

Oh I'm not banded yet...my surgey is set for 2/13/2006 :)

Hi Dana,

Welcome to LBT ! You are in great hands here. I don't think anyone of us need to convince you to have the surgery- I think you have already made that decision ! And believe me, it will be the best decision of your life. I had surgery almost 8 months ago. I am so much healthier, happier and would not change a thing. Have I had problems? Minimal. Would do it again-in a heartbeat !!! I have nothing but positive things to say, so I guess I can't answer any of your questions concerning the "downside" of the surgery. Good Luck~ :clap2:

Leah

Oh, thank you all! Just needed a little encouragment. I do think the number one reason I'm really hesitant about the RNY is my children. Statistically, there is just a higher chance of morbid complications from the bypass vs. the Lap Band.

And, I also think that, in a way, the band helps to "shrink" your stomach back to a more normal size (after having streched it from years of over-eating)--this, in a way, does seem "natural."

I'm really excited about this journey. I have my EGD ??? (where they look at your esophagus (sp?) to see if you have ulcers, malformations, etc. What would cause one to not "pass" the EGD?

Thanks to all who replied.

Dana

Hi, and welcome to LBT. I've been banded about 6 months and am very happy with my choice. You will still have to work hard, even with the band, but it will be much easier. You stay full longer, and don't usually get as hungry. I still struggle with "head hunger" or wanting to keep eating even after I am satisfied, but because of the band, I really can't eat as much as I would have before. I have a daughter, 8 years old, and I wanted to be a more active mom. Also, I turned 50 this year, and decideed I needed to get more serious about long-term health issues. For me, bypass surgery seemed too drastic; this seemed "just right." Good luck, and post any questions! Cindy

Those stats are what tipped me over the edge too. I realised I was kidding myself if I thought I could do this alone. And I realised I was facing morbid obesity down the track too if I didnt get a handle on things now.

As to which surgery - no way would I go for a gastric bypass. It's way too extreme for my weight problem. But I simply cannot understand why, even if you're considering it - you wouldnt try a lap band first. So much less invasive and if it doesnt work you can then get a bypass. I know it's two surgeries but I'd rather live with that than take the plunge into having my insides rearranged without even trying the safer, easier alternative.

Hi Dana, I didn't have to have an EGD as part of my pre-auth work. If you have frequent heartburn it might be why they are checking it. I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure what would make it so you wouldn't pass it other than if you did have an ulcerated esphogus they would probably want to heal that first prior to banding. They may even be checking to make sure the valve that is between your stomach and esphogus closes properly...again I think if someone has frequent heartburn is when they check this.

Is there a nurse or doc in the house that can help?

Hey, Sherry--

No--I do not have the least bit problem with heartburn, etc. It's just a standard test that everyone has to have before surgery with this particular surgeon--just to make sure, I guess.

I don't believe I have any ulcers--I worry that I might have a deformed esophagus because my uterus (as discovered during my first c-section) is strangely shaped--but I'm probably just being overly worried. I'm just so anxious to get these preliminary tests over with.

I'm ready to start my life as a "bander." B)

P.S. How do you get those tickers on your signature. I went to tickerfactory.com and chose a ticker but did not know how to paste it on my signature.

Thanks,

Dana

You have a signature, so just edit it and past the ticker code right into the signature box. You want to use the UBB code, I think. (I could be wrong on that.)

Welcome to LBT!

I can only say there wasn't any chance at all that I would have done the RNY. I had a friend that actually died from having that done, and I just wouldn't even consider it.

I love my band, it has given me back my life. B)