Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to give up!!

I was banded 12-08-10 and was doown about 10 lbs. from my surgery day weight... Well, today, for some reason, I am back to my pre-surgery weight and I am totally DISGUSTED and want to give up. This all happened while religiously watching the calories and Protein and I just got done with my period... Any help out there???

Have you been exercising?

Hi! I've been walking but I just bought an eliptical and I'm going to start that tomorrow. Just donm't understand. Maybe it's Water weight?

Have you been exercising?

First, it's not all about calories. Some people can lose weight just by decreasing their calories. For others, the type of calories make a difference. I don't know you or your particular situation and am just putting this out there as food for thought.

If you are tracking your calories in something like fitday.com or livestrong.com and you are absolutely sure of what your daily intake is, then you're ahead of the game because you have a foundation for tweaking your diet until it works. Studies show that women lose weight better when they stay between 1000-1200 calories. Decreasing carbs to between 30-60 will speed up the weight loss and getting those carbs from green vegies only will speed it up more. Studies show a low carb, high fat diet will generate more weight loss and better lipid profiles than a low carb, low fat. Eat diet products may stall your weight loss...and you may even gain because they contain things like maltodextrin which creates an insulin response in the body.

I'm sure a lot of people are tired of me talking about the insulin response but diabetes is becoming an epidemic in this country. I read an article recently that said they believe that 75% of overweight Americans are insulin resistant...which means the potential for diabetes is there. Hypoglycemia and insulin resistance are both precursors to diabetes and many people slide quietly from one to the other and on into diabetes without ever realizing it. They don't call it the silent killer for nothing.

So, it's just something to keep in mind when you start asking why you aren't losing weight...or are gaining.

Exercise, while good for you for any number of reasons, plays only a small part in *weight loss* (if any) if you're like the average person and work out for an hour a day. Obviously, the people who work out boot camp style for 2-4 hours per day 6-7 days a week will lose weight...but most people do not go this extreme so it really comes down to what you put in your mouth.

Thanks. I totally agree. This has beewn a steruggle for sometime now. I am insulin resistanrt and do watch the bad carbs but been good with that lately. No spikes or downfalls with blood sugar. I guess you're right about tweeking diet. I think that's what I need to do. Thanks so much for your insightful input. Have a good day.

Melody,

I am going to buy that book NOW!! I always hone in on what you say!!! I appreciate all your helpful comments!!!! Thanks so much!

Joleen

Joleen,

You won't regret it, but I'm not sure which book you're referring to. :D

My favorite books...ones I keep going back to (for those who haven't seen them in my other posts) are:

The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein

Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

*Lots* of very valuable information...particularly for the insulin resistant who do everything right according to the ADA and still don't lose.

You are still a relatively new bandster, too --- have you gotten any fills? The first 6 weeks after surgery is for healing - not losing - so really you haven't been in the start -to-focus-on-losing-weight phase for all that long....it takes time and effort to learn how to utilize your band. Talk to your doctor's office about how much Protein you should be getting and what types of foods they suggest - they will best be able to guide you.

Above all - don't give up - it is a journey, not a destination!

Kim