Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice about going out to movies

One of my favorite indulgences is going to a movie by myself and eating popcorn and a Cherry Coke. I only do it about 2-3 times a year, and I know popcorn, Cherry Coke, and snacking are off limits now that I'm banded. I haven't ctually attempted popcorn, but I imagine it'd get easily stuck but movie theatre popcorn is sooooooo high inc alories so for me I won't even go there.

Anyway, today I'm taking our 3 little boys to a movie-somehting we're starting to do more often. I'd like to incorporate snacking at the theatre into my meal plan today since it'll actually be my lunchtime. I'm not at all opposed to sneaking in my own food. Ay suggestions on what to sneak? I usually eat a serving of granola with a greek yogurt for lunch, so I'm thinking maybe a baggie of dry granola, a Protein Shake, and I'm kinda hoping for another food option...maybe raw veggies? I'd love to hear other suggestions!!!

thanks everyone

I like the places that have coffee. I order a coffee and slowly sip it during the first part of the movie. When the coffee is all gone I can munch on an Atkins bar, or have a couple handfulls of someone else's popcorn. I have also taken in sunflower seeds and use the empty coffee cup for the shells.

I went to the movies recently and had a few handfuls of my daughters caramel popcorn. It was sooooo good and thankfully didn't get stuck. It was a treat and doesn't happen very often so I enjoyed every bit of it.

My band is very tight at the moment so I think if I ate before the movie I wouldn't be able to snack now even if I wanted to.

I like the idea of the Atkins bar and I love sunflower seeds. You could try blueberries too. They're small, healthy and you can have more than 1 so you get the feeling of munching during the movie.

popcorn is a slider for a lot of people (including me). Even at the over-filled spot I'm at now I can still eat 3 cups. But 3 cups of movie theater popcorn will be about 300-400 calories depending how much butter you put on it.

It may be best to bring Water, small fruits, granola (though that is also high in sugar), veggies, and if you do get a snack at the theater try for chocolate covered peanuts (they're crunchy enough to be broken down without getting stuck and have good fat), licorice (small bites and chew it well - it won't bind together to get stuck), or a slushie if your theater has them.

:o You're speaking my language!! My one indulgence is popcorn. It's the only snack I ever eat (and I eat air popped popcorn about 3 evenings per week.) My husband makes it for me fresh and I put on low-sodium salt and it's healthy as can be. My doctor is thrilled that this works for me. Now, on the bad side, when I go to a movie, I allow myself popcorn (I know they don't make it as healthy as my husband) and a small coke - I know, I'm not supposed to, but I only allow myself this luxury at the movies and I really don't go all that much (maybe once per month.) I have been giving some thought to bringing a Water and bringing a large bag of my husband's homemade popcorn but I'll wait until I'm on a plateau and no longer losing. I have found if someone questions me on something food or drink wise, I just tell them I have a medical condition and have to have my food prepared a certain way. It's never not worked!

Have some popcorn, if you can, or you will feel as if you are denying yourself and that could then turn into a craving! I know I couldn't live without it!! :rolleyes: