Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a tempermental band?

Hey everyone, I was just curious to see if anyone else had a tempermental band. Mine has been all over the place recently, restriction wise. Got my last fill 9 weeks ago. Was tight the first week the way I always am after a fill, the 2nd week I was tight becuase of TOM, and then the 3rd week I was sick. For each of those things I fully expect to be tighter, it's how my body works. After the 3rd week, I had pretty good restriction for a couple weeks. Tight in the mornings, but that isn't an uncommon thing. Small meal around lunch time, same for dinner. Then all of a sudden, I was staying tight in the mornings, but come 5 pm I could eat whatever I wanted. That was a new one for me, seeing as the only time I could eat like that after being banded was when i had no Fluid in my band at all. But even though I could eat whatever, I still couldn't eat after 7pm becuase if I did, I'd end up with reflux all night. I was fine with that, and made sure not to eat after 7- I feel ebtter that way anyways. Fast forward to this past week. Now, all of a sudden, my band is tight. Tight, like I would be if I had just gotten a fill, and it was too much. I'm feeling kind of frustrated. My band has tightened up enough that I am experiencing reflux every night, which sucks big time. This has happened before too, last year. I had a fill that was fine for like 3 months, and then got tight on me, and I had to have an unfill. I had a period of 6 months, where every couple months I would have to get an unfill. It drives me nuts. I already know that I'm going to be calling my Dr tomorrow because of this. I always stress some when I have to get an unfill, for the fear of gaining anything back. And this time, I have teh added fear of starting a new desk job within the next week or too. It's going to be a tough transition this time, but I need to be able to at least get a Protein Shake down in the mornings.

Ok, well, I think I needed to vent more than anything, sine it's 1:30 am, I'm exhaustedand can't sleep because of the reflux. Though, I am curious to know if anyone else has a band that switches up on them like mine does?

Hey everyone, I was just curious to see if anyone else had a tempermental band. Mine has been all over the place recently, restriction wise. Got my last fill 9 weeks ago. Was tight the first week the way I always am after a fill, the 2nd week I was tight becuase of TOM, and then the 3rd week I was sick. For each of those things I fully expect to be tighter, it's how my body works. After the 3rd week, I had pretty good restriction for a couple weeks. Tight in the mornings, but that isn't an uncommon thing. Small meal around lunch time, same for dinner. Then all of a sudden, I was staying tight in the mornings, but come 5 pm I could eat whatever I wanted. That was a new one for me, seeing as the only time I could eat like that after being banded was when i had no Fluid in my band at all. But even though I could eat whatever, I still couldn't eat after 7pm becuase if I did, I'd end up with reflux all night. I was fine with that, and made sure not to eat after 7- I feel ebtter that way anyways. Fast forward to this past week. Now, all of a sudden, my band is tight. Tight, like I would be if I had just gotten a fill, and it was too much. I'm feeling kind of frustrated. My band has tightened up enough that I am experiencing reflux every night, which sucks big time. This has happened before too, last year. I had a fill that was fine for like 3 months, and then got tight on me, and I had to have an unfill. I had a period of 6 months, where every couple months I would have to get an unfill. It drives me nuts. I already know that I'm going to be calling my Dr tomorrow because of this. I always stress some when I have to get an unfill, for the fear of gaining anything back. And this time, I have teh added fear of starting a new desk job within the next week or too. It's going to be a tough transition this time, but I need to be able to at least get a Protein shake down in the mornings.

Ok, well, I think I needed to vent more than anything, sine it's 1:30 am, I'm exhaustedand can't sleep because of the reflux. Though, I am curious to know if anyone else has a band that switches up on them like mine does?

As I've read, the more weight you lose or the longer you have your band, it should be losing restriction because the fat around your stomach is shrinking as you lose. I'm sorry you have to keep getting unfills. The whole needle process to me is not fun :)

I've have a very finicky band. The only time she's consistent is in the mornings when I'm very tight. Otherwise, I have to take a very small bites when I start eating to see what mood my girl is in and then go from there. Sometimes, I can snack on a few pistachios and sometimes, I get to have two :blink:

But, I'm not going to complain because it's helping me and I figure it's all apart of the process. I've really learned how to work with the lapband to where I can get what I needed done and not have any future bad episodes. But, it definitely took me a while to get there :D

Julia

Lol. Yea, that's what I understood too, but I seem to be opposite. Instead of it being the more weight I lose, the looser I get, it's the more weight I lose, the tighter I get.

Here's how I see it.....In the beginning, you need the fills as you lose the fat around your stomach. I needed a fill about every 15-20 lbs. Then, I started getting tighter as I lost weight. So far, I've needed 3 unfills. I think that once that fat pad is gone, things are different. My doctor tells me that its pretty common. The first time it happened, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, now if I get that reflux at night, I make an appointment for an unfill.

Cindy

Thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was going crazy!!

I had a fill about 2 months ago I think and it was fine. It gave me good restriction like it should and I continued with life eating small meals and losing weight without too much difficulty. I

Now for about the last 2 1/2 weeks my band is SO tight and doesn't seem to be getting looser. I used to be able to eat 1 egg scrambled for Breakfast, now I'm lucky to get through 1/2 of it and if I keep it for a snack I it will fill me past lunch. I can no longer eat a small tub of yogurt without feeling absolutely stuffed and when dinner comes along, I'm lucky to eat a few spoonfuls.

I thought I must be rushing my food and going back to my old habits, but even when I eat slow and slider food it seems to fill me up. I've also had a lot of stuck episodes. I've just finished my TOM and it maybe is a little bit better but not much.

I really don't think I'm getting enough calories in my diet and worried that I will stop losing and be in starvation mode soon. I will weigh myself tomorrow and see whats happening. I'm very happy with my weight loss and want it to continue (70lb in 4 months).

I've also noticed that this started when I began exercising. I'm doing a lot of sit ups, crunches, ab workouts etc- could this be doing something?

I think I'd better go for a small unfil but I'm scared of putting any weight back on and my Dr is nearly a 2 hour drive away.

I guess no one ever said this journey was going to be easy :)