Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok...who drinks?

I drink 2-4 times per month. I drank again 3 weeks after banding. I drink margaritas, mixed drinks, even shots (although sometimes I have to take 1/2 the shot and then another 1/2 the shot). I definatley get drunk alot faster now. 3 weeks after banding I had 1 1/2 drinks and I was GONE!!! Anyways, I can't drink carbonation - my doc says we can but it makes my tummy hurt if I even have one sip so no more beer but I drink the rest of it with no problem. Last weekend I met 20 freinds in Austin I hadn't seen in years and we were out at the bars all night and I had a margarita, 2 amaretto sours, a shot, and a vodka sour. I know it had 2387282849 calories, but other than that it went down fine. Just make sure you don't drink so much that you will throw up (bad for the band) and make sure you don't over indulge in those extra calories too often! Cheers.

I do have a drink now and then. It's usually just wine now. I never thought I'd say it, but I've truly lost the taste for beer. Tried a few post banding--just didn't taste good anymore. Could be the fact that it too takes me about 3 hours to finish a beer.

I do like Mikes hard lemonade when I golf. It seems like the rough ride in the golf cart shakes the bubbles out, but again I do just sip on one (or maybe two) during 18 holes.

Sal

I only have a drink now and then and thats usually when i go out with friends..I had surgery 8/10/2005 and i think i MAYBE has 4 drinks between now and thenKristen

Yup, I drink. I have friends who love to go out so (responsible) drinking is a big part of my life. I have only had beer once since banding and it HURT. I could feel the pressure on my band. So I go strictly no carbonation.

I had a talk with a bartender one night about what's a girl to do? Low carb and no carbonation. The choices aren't many. I usually end up with a martini or a bloody mary. Or I just have something straight up. When I'm feeling it, I'll have a margarita (LOOOOTS of sugar in there) or some wine.

But yeah, two drinks is my limit and sometimes just two gets me hammered. I'm *all* a cheap date!! lol!!!

I had my first glass of wine since debanding last night. I order one glass with a tall glass of ice to dilute it. I was too buzzed 1/4 way through, then I got paranoid of gaining an ounce so I downed several tall glasses of Water with tons of limes.

I drank fairly often when I still had my band. Nothing bothered my stomach, but it definitely slowed my weight loss.

Oh yeah! I still party! I haven't let the band stop me. I don't drink mixed drinks with any type of soda or tonic. I do drink very spicy Bloody Mary's and Dirty Martini's. I might do a shot or two and I do drink Water throughout the night. Afterwards we do go and get Breakfast and that is usually scrambled eggs and grits, something soft, and good ol' coffee! I was determined not to let the band stop me from enjoying life and part of my life is being able to see my friends and party with them. No worries! :whoo: :banana B)

Does anyone think that drinking is hard on your stomach with the band? I've often wondered if the acid or alcohol would ever irritate the band and cause any problems. I drink some and it seems since losing weight that I drink more than I use to...only because I feel more alive and like going out and being more social now!!! But really has anyones dr said that drinking will cause harm to your band in anyway or just slow weight loss??? Any ideas??

A couple of weeks after I had my surgery I was reading over my discharge papers again and it said no alcohol for at least 24 hours. And my doctor never said anything about alcohol affecting anything that I can remember but I see him next week for a fill and will ask him about it. B)

DH is excited about me being a light weight. LOL currently I can drink just about anyone under the table if I try. Scottish/Irish/German heritage and a very lively college life. LOL I am just glad our fun will not be stunted with the removal of drinking. It is part of our fun times once a month.

Amy

But really has anyones dr said that drinking will cause harm to your band in anyway or just slow weight loss??? Any ideas??

My doc talked about it...his only concern is that it is "empty calories" and thus not good for the body. But no, not a damage to the band other than it takes away inhibition and you may eat too much thus stuffing the pouch.

I switched from white zin to red wine after the surgery because I drink it slower and it has fewer calories. Beer doen't hurt-it just doesn't taste as good as it used to...

Before banding, I drank any and everything (except beer):cocktail:. Now I attempt to watch my liquid calories, especially in those mixed drinks and I usually have cognac or rum w/a twist of lemon.

I still enjoy drinking. I'm not a big drinker, but maybe a few times a month we'll go out for drinks. I have noticed it takes alot less to get me buzzing lol, but that's probably because I'm drinking on a much emptier stomach. I generally have to choose between food or drink when we go out, as I don't have room for both.

I do generally stick to non carbonated alcoholic beverages though, as the bubbles fill me up faster. My drink of choice was previously vodka, lime cordial and soda Water. So now I just have vodka, fresh lime juice (no sugar heh) and still water.... and for some reason, this helps keep a hangover away too :eek:

I loved Scotch and Water or a glass of wine prebanding, so I can still have my favorites with no issues over carbonation or too many empty calories. I have discovered that I like Sauvignon Blanc, a great light white wine, better than White Zinfandel. I dont know if there is any calorie difference but it is not as sweet as White Zin (but not as DRY as Chardonnay). I am such a lightweight now also... it is almost scary, lol. 3 drinks now and I am giddy and buzzed!!!

I don't like beer at all but I do like a glass of wine (at, or before) dinner on occasion. I'm single/no kids so going out is a big part of my social life. At my consult, I told my surgeon quite honestly that I usually had 1 or 2 drinks a week (maybe 4 - 6 a month at most) - and he said OK but I should stay away from carbonation (which I do anyway) and watch the empty calories.

I find with the band that since I eat less, that a little alcohol goes a long way. I often can't/don't finish the one drink I have but I enjoy having some. So if I'm having a glass of wine, I just watch my carbs elsewhere. I was looking for a WLS that I thought would be a better fit for my lifestyle so I thought this was a plus for the Band over the RnY. The majority of my friends with RnY can drink alcohol but I know a few who can't tolerate it so I was cautious about the chances of being one of the ones who couldn't.

So I think with all things, moderation is probably important.

icon7.gifvHappy band journeys to all!