Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CONFUSED??? Is Protein, Protein?

:help:Let's see...three weeks in, and the Doc is telling me I need at least 2 Protein Shakes a day. I'm so confused over it all..am I making this harder than it is? There is animal Protein, soy protein, vegetable protein...geez I could go on and on....is one protein the same as the other? Is one healthier than another? And of course trying to find all of this out on a weekend. I just know this smart group can tell me

Randy -

I went and did a search on this and it seems that it's about how the body processes the different types of protiens - more or less efficiently. Animal Proteins seem to be the best - although any Protein is essential. See excerpt below.

Patient Education for

University of Utah Health Sciences Center

Protein Controlled Diet

Protein is an important component of many foods. Protein is needed to maintain body tissues in good health and to replace cells that are normally lost each day. There are two types of protein, high biological value (complete) protein that comes from animal sources and low biological value (incomplete) that comes from vegetables and grain products. The animal Proteins are better utilized by the body than vegetable and grain proteins.

A protein-controlled diet has been planned so that the majority of protein is from animal sources. Diets containing 40 grams protein or less are usually nutritionally inadequate. Vitamin and mineral supplementation is recommended.

Hi Randy,

My nutritionist told me not to worry about the type of Protein. As long as I was getting in 60 grams a day she was happy. Are you on mushies yet? Cottage cheese and refried Beans have a lot of Protein. He probably recommended the shakes because they're so easy and they have the added Vitamins and minerals.

Kim, that is some good information and exactly the kind we were looking for. Thank you......

Anne, I'm with your nutritionist. Joy says, just let me at the food, ok...? LOL JK Thank you for your help.

As a long-time vegetarian, I'd like to point out that by combining non-animal Proteins, you can make complete Proteins. Combinations like rice and Beans or grains and Beans can be just as complete as meat. It does take a little more planning, if that's something you are concerned about. I've always been told that just eating a good variety of Protein from different sources is all you need to do. Also, lentils have a higher quality Protein than steak, if you like them. Lots of choices...

Emily

Its easy to get really anxious about all sorts of things like this. You just have to block your mind to it I think.

I mean for years we're told lots of cardio to lose fat, now we're being told cardio makes you lose muscle blah blah blah.

Less food, more exercise will work.

And as to Protein, I prefer to eat it simply becuase it comes with lots of other valuable nutrients like B-12 and zinc or even Calcium if you're talking cottage cheese. That's more calorie efficient if you ask me. I also dont feel comfortable with a high soy intake, there is not complete certainty that it's safe, especially for males. If I drank Protein drinks I'd probably choose a whey Protein isolate one.