Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I wanted to try low carb....

I've seen a few people talk about low carb diets. Usually my carbs end up being like 90 by the end of the day. I haven't eaten Pasta in months. I'm just curious if I were to try it, what would I eat?

I tried it about a month ago. I found that if I stuck to 1200 calories a day that I could do 55 grams of carbs a day and still stay in ketosis.

High Protein, high fat, and a lot of fibrous veggies like broccoli, asparagus, lettuce, greens, etc. I did low carb (under 50g a day) for the first 6-7 months and lost amazingly. Now I've realized that the low-carb lifestyle isn't for me, though I will praise it for helping me lose weight. I was sick of dealing with the lack of energy/concentration. Nowadays I eat 100g, maybe 115g of carbs a day max, which is still pretty low.

You're doing pretty well with 90g.

But, if you wanted to cut them drastically, you might eat eggs for Breakfast, a salad with a Protein and full-fat dressing for lunch, and a piece of chicken or fish or steak for dinner with steamed broccoli (or some other non-starchy veg) for dinner.< /p>

I've seen a few people talk about low carb diets. Usually my carbs end up being like 90 by the end of the day. I haven't eaten Pasta in months. I'm just curious if I were to try it, what would I eat?

Generally, anywhere below 60gm per day is considered low carb. If you're looking for faster results and/or looking to control blood sugar levels if a diabetic, then drop below 30gm. I eat 30gm or below per day and do not eat any sugar, grains, starches or fruits (per Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution).

I eat 2 scrambled eggs for Breakfast. Some mornings I'm just not hungry and don't feel like eating so somewhere around mid-morning I'll drink a low carb (4gm) Protein shake and then eat lunch at my normal time. Again, since I'm trying to keep my diabetes under control I eat at the same time every day.

For lunch and dinner I eat 3-4 oz Protein and 1 c. vegies - only 'green', non-starchy vegies (green Beans, broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, salads, etc.). Lunch is usually a salad with cheese, chopped hardboiled egg and some type of deli meat (ham, turkey, etc) and full fat blue cheese dressing. dinner is usually just grilled, roasted, pan fried, etc. protein and steamed or roasted vegies.

Many low carbers get a bit fancier with their menu, but I find I'm more successful if I keep it clean and simple.

I try to keep my fats at least at 50% and sometimes that means eating bacon for breakfast and cream in my coffee. I do this because studies show that lipid profiles improve about twice as much on a low carb, high fat diet as they do on a low carb, low fat diet and more weight is lost. Both Gary Taubes and Dr. Bernstein explain why this works. Plus, the fat combined with the protein helps with the hunger.