Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My name is Crystal and I will be having my lap band surgery on the 20th of April. Yay!!! I am scared and nervous. I am so afraid I will not lose weight. A little background on me. I am 53 yrs old, I had 2 strokes when I was 49 (I know). I have serious back problems (am not able to exercise at this point), and other issues. I weigh 290 lbs (am even ashamed to say so, but the truth is better than a lie). What I am afraid of is that say when I am sick I don't eat very much and I never lose weight, so I am afraid that without eating much with the lap band that I will not lose. Please help me out with positive reinforcements. I so need advice and support on everything right now. I have done a lot of research and sometimes I see a lot of posts where people say they do not lose much with the band. And then other sites where people have had great success. Now, I know that is up to each individual on how dedicated you are (and I am), but I would love positive stories and support. I need to know everything right now, lol. I hope that you will all accept me and help me along my weight loss journey. As I will help and encourage you whenever possible. I feel support is truly a great "tool" in weight loss. Thank you for listening. All responses appreciated. Especially before surgery, I am very nervous and don't know what to expect.

Your Lap Band Sister,

Crystal

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My name is Crystal and I will be having my lap band surgery on the 20th of April. Yay!!! I am scared and nervous. I am so afraid I will not lose weight. A little background on me. I am 53 yrs old, I had 2 strokes when I was 49 (I know). I have serious back problems (am not able to exercise at this point), and other issues. I weigh 290 lbs (am even ashamed to say so, but the truth is better than a lie). What I am afraid of is that say when I am sick I don't eat very much and I never lose weight, so I am afraid that without eating much with the lap band that I will not lose. Please help me out with positive reinforcements. I so need advice and support on everything right now. I have done a lot of research and sometimes I see a lot of posts where people say they do not lose much with the band. And then other sites where people have had great success. Now, I know that is up to each individual on how dedicated you are (and I am), but I would love positive stories and support. I need to know everything right now, lol. I hope that you will all accept me and help me along my weight loss journey. As I will help and encourage you whenever possible. I feel support is truly a great "tool" in weight loss. Thank you for listening. All responses appreciated. Especially before surgery, I am very nervous and don't know what to expect. Also, I don't know how to add my pic or info on myself, help!!!!

Your Lap Band Sister,

Crystal

One Day at a Time!

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My name is Crystal and I will be having my lap band surgery on the 20th of April. Yay!!! I am scared and nervous. I am so afraid I will not lose weight. A little background on me. I am 53 yrs old, I had 2 strokes when I was 49 (I know). I have serious back problems (am not able to exercise at this point), and other issues. I weigh 290 lbs (am even ashamed to say so, but the truth is better than a lie). What I am afraid of is that say when I am sick I don't eat very much and I never lose weight, so I am afraid that without eating much with the lap band that I will not lose. Please help me out with positive reinforcements. I so need advice and support on everything right now. I have done a lot of research and sometimes I see a lot of posts where people say they do not lose much with the band. And then other sites where people have had great success. Now, I know that is up to each individual on how dedicated you are (and I am), but I would love positive stories and support. I need to know everything right now, lol. I hope that you will all accept me and help me along my weight loss journey. As I will help and encourage you whenever possible. I feel support is truly a great "tool" in weight loss. Thank you for listening. All responses appreciated. Especially before surgery, I am very nervous and don't know what to expect.

Your Lap Band Sister,

Crystal

Hello and welcome, I have had no problem with the lap band - however i haven't been at my sweet spot yet, i coasted for a while after initial weight loss then when i decided to get serious again I was following weight watchers. I have not put back on any weight that I have lost in a year which I think is absolutely thrilling. I intend to get to my sweet spot as I am going for a fill in a few weeks, had to partially defill prior to jaw surgery several weeks ago. I haven't been eating very much the last few weeks and have lost about 10 pounds so I'm not sure how the band impacts weight loss if one isn't eating - seems to be the same as without a band. good luck and hope you get more responses for support.:)

Hi,

Your Lap Band Sister,

Crystal

hi my name is krista and i am kinda like you i am 225 as of today and i am thanking the same thing getting cold feet and i am getting banded on the 18th if i get the ok from the heart dr and i go see him on tues and i hope i get the ok i did a stress test today and it was a 4hr test but i thank that the hard part is the 2 week diet i have to do i am sio hungry and never thougth i would want some food like this but any ways we can do this i go to the group meeting and one in there as lost over 200 in 2 years and he looks good so it will work but we have to put are mind to it and it will work for us but doing the work up i found out i have sleep app and high bp and boarderline sugers and that is why i want to do this i would love to loss 75 and we can do this ...

Hello,

I think all of us can relate to having some fears before surgery. My personal opinoin on making the band work with you is to keep your monthly follow up appointments. There can be a very small window between being too loose and too tight. For me, when my band is at the correct restriction, like it is now, I lose about 2# aweek. I think the biggest mistake a banded or any person actually can make is to drink beverages with calories other than Protein Shakes. I am definetly restricted in the volume of food I can eat but if I were drinking flavored coffees, smoothies, juice, shakes... I would not be losing. Like anything, it is possible to sabotage the band results.

This has been a learning experience for me as it is with all bandsters. I am thankful each and every day that I have my band!

Best wishes to you!

Joan

Hi,

Your Lap Band Sister,

Crystal

---------------------------------

Hi there,

I can understand your fears I was exactly where you are right now. Lots of health problems, could hardly get around, could not exercise.

A few more months of this and thought I was going to die.

My surgery went extremely well considering all my problems.

I was banded March 2nd and have lost 8 pounds.

I was a bit discouraged at first because I am not loosing fast.

So I decided to measure myself and after 3 weeks I lost 2 inches on most parts of my body.

Being older I find it is extremely hard to lose the weight. but I am starting to feel alive again.

Although I don't see much on the scale I have started the thread mill for 20 minutes every day when my legs are not hurting.

Not one of us looses the same way.

I try to just be happy for those who loose fast now instead of depressing.

Good luck to you!

Wanna