Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I was just recently banded and I have no idea what I am doing wrong but I lost weight and now I am no longer losing but gaining. The post op diet my doc had me on was super strick 7 days clear liquid which included crystal light, diet snapple, ice pops and Water - thats it - no broth or jello....on the 8th day I was able to introduce Protein Shakes - 1 for each meal along with 64 oz of water - for 2 weeks ...then was able to have mushy foods. I lost 12lbs during my liquid diet and as soon as I started on mushy foods which was 1 shake for breakfast 110 cal, 1 shake for lunch 110 cal and then 3oz of Protein and 3 oz of vegggies for dinner.... I have not diverted from this plan, I even weigh my food on a scale...not even a lick or taste or a dip of anything. 4 days ago I started back up at the gym and did 45 minutes at heart rate of 145 and I gained 3lbs back. What is going on here? Is this normal....??? I dont understand. HELP!

Hello, I was just recently banded and I have no idea what I am doing wrong but I lost weight and now I am no longer losing but gaining. The post op diet my doc had me on was super strick 7 days clear liquid which included crystal light, diet snapple, ice pops and Water - thats it - no broth or Jello....on the 8th day I was able to introduce Protein shakes - 1 for each meal along with 64 oz of Water - for 2 weeks ...then was able to have mushy foods. I lost 12lbs during my liquid diet and as soon as I started on mushy foods which was 1 shake for Breakfast 110 cal, 1 shake for lunch 110 cal and then 3oz of Protein and 3 oz of vegggies for dinner.... I have not diverted from this plan, I even weigh my food on a scale...not even a lick or taste or a dip of anything. 4 days ago I started back up at the gym and did 45 minutes at heart rate of 145 and I gained 3lbs back. What is going on here? Is this normal....??? I dont understand. HELP!

Relax, your body has gone thru alot and working out builds muscle and weighs more, keep doing what your doing and you will lose. Probably alot at one time. Don't weigh to often, do what your doing and wait a week to weigh you will be surprised.

i was banded on 3/15 and lost while on liquids and then stopped for an entire week when i started on soft foods. apparently it's totally normal and nothing to worry about. you need to give your body time to heal and focus on that. also, when you're slowly adding foods back into your diet, at first you are on very few calories per day and i think my body just went into starvation mode. once i worked my way up to about 1000 calories, i started losing again :-)

Thank you both for your kind encouraging words. I really hope I start to lose soon or I will seriously lose it. I went off plan today and ate small lunch and dinner instead of having a shake for lunch.

Hi there,

I was banded March 2nd and have lost only 8 pounds and I'm strugling to keep them off. I am a very slow looser and I hate it.

The only advice I can give you is to measure yourself...........this is what's helping me go on.

I don't loose pounds but have lost 2 inches all around in 3 weeks.

So I am encouraged by this.

Good luck.

hello!

Just wanted to give you this piece of advice...my doctor told me to choose a size...not a weight. that way you stay off the scale, its far kinder to your morale. I bought a pair of Old Navy cords from value Village, size 10. and they were my goal pants. once a month I would put them on and see how much farther they went up my hips. Kepp up the good work, and rememeber, excersise is jst as important!! I have had my band 31/2 years and LOVE it. I rememeber going upi the stairs and panting, and now I can run 5kms. I'd love to help someone like you just starting out. best of luck luv...

Don't just watch your calories, make sure you are getting enough Protein, drinking enough fluids and enough calories to make sure that your body is actually able to burn fat stores and maintain muscle. Best of luck!!

giogirl I've only been banded for 10 days and I'm well into mushy foods. I lost 10 lbs on the liquid diet and just recently lost another 2 while eating semi-solids. I started back in the gym a few days ago on the eliptical machine. As soon as I started back in the gym I noticed that I have gained the 2 lbs I lost . I contacted my dietician and she informed me that I am not consuming enough calories to sustain myself. I would burn 400 cals in the gym and only eat a total of 800 calories in a day meaning I only gave my body 400 calories to live on. I've up'd my calorie intake to at least 1200 calories a day when I hit the gym this gives my body around 800 to 900 calories to live on. If you do not take in enough calories your body will naturally fight to save your life by retaining every calorie you consume for energy to stay alive. It will store those calories, fat, sugars and everything else if it thinks you are starving to death. You can easily put yourself in stavation mode if youre not careful (especially on the immediate post op diets we have to stick to) This is just my two cents but when I weigh in at the doc's office tomorrow I hope to see that I have lost and not gained becasue of the changes my dietician suggested. Hope this helps.

Todd

I've not been banded yet, but someone who has been banded once told me and I am going to try my best to listen to this advice "Watch your body/clothes and NOT the scale all the time" - - just because the scale says one thing doesn't mean your body isn't changing, shifting, adjusting. Also, it wants to probably hold on to that new food for a little bit because it wasn't getting any "food" and once it realizes that you are going to feed yourself again, it will let the weight go easier. My friend has this problem with water....if she doesn't drink enough, when she does..her body just totally retaines for a week or so until everything realizes again that the Water isn't being taken away. Just my opinion but I think looking at the changes in the body/clothes are really helpful vs. staring at the darn number all the time. I've said to myself, I don't care if I weigh 200 pounds if I can fit into a size 10. :rolleyes: