Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My User Name Says it All

I am going to introduce myself the right way, the honest way. I dont have a metabolism problem,I dont have emotional issues, bad parents, or any other excuse. I eat too much and drink too much.That simple. I had the surgery in January of 2010, it went well, and I was off to the races. I did my fills, and did ok. I didnt excel because I would have a few beers, a chip here and there, but all in all I had gone from 350 on the first visit, 340 on day of surgery to 290 in early October. Work got busy, I got lazy, and didnt get a fill for 5 months. Two weeks ago I weighed myself and was 333. I was disgusted.

THe band is pointless, I thought. I did not do ONE THING WRONG, I told myself. I had the band, I ate slow. So what if I had a few beers, some pizza, candy, more candy. No, I didnt do one thing wrong. I did everything wrong. Two weeks ago I turned myself in. At first I thought I would be humiliated, but the doctor was actually very understading. I got my fill, went on my way, and started a new life.

Then came Saturday. Basketball. One beer led to two, to five, to seven, to three white castles. I was back in form. Went home, melted mozzarella cheese in the microwave

And two beers, a glass of wine.

No more. I decided last Saturday this is it. I have been given a chance. Not a cure, not a miracle, not a panacea, a chance.

When I got the band I thought why should I go on message boards? I can do this on my own. I am here now as one of the steps I must take to accomplish what I want. Not what I deserve, not what I should have, not what I paid for, but what I want and must earn,

I have read a lot of posts and am glad I am here. Some good stories, some bad, some downright troubling, and some really uplifting ones. I have been on the board almost constantly since Saturday reading. My initial purpose for reading was to see if this board was worthy of my time. Usually people pay me for my time, I figured, so why waste it here. It didn't take long to realize that I am the one who isn't worthy of your time. I hope in time I can contribute here, and assure you I will when I can. For now, though, I apprecite you guys letting me ride your coattails.

Hi Dum Bass (hehe, I had to say it). Love your username :)

Welcome to the board! I was banded on 2/17/11 and have found the board so useful and not just for kind words, strong nudges or support. Dive into the different topics. I find the food and Nutrition topics have great recipe ideas.

Your post hit a nerve with me, as I'm starting to find that it's easy to cheat the band and not just with slider foods. That knowledge scares the crap out of me, but at least I recognize it's a potential problem. Talking to you doc and recognizing the issues is so going to help you in the long run. Good luck!!

--Carrie

I am almost 2 years post op and I still struggle. I have lost 84 lbs and still would like to lose 20 lbs. The thing is if you have a bad day stop it right then or it will be too hard to stop. Good luck and welcome the the boards. There are a lot of very kind and smart people here with good advice and a kick in the butt when you need it and know you do!

Cheri

I appreciate your candidness, honesty and writing style :) It's a good reminder for all that the band is just a tool - not a cure - and that success will only be acheived if you want it and are willing to work at it. I've found myself feeling like a crack head, waiting for my next fill to make everything better and using not being in my "sweet spot" as an excuse to eat whatever I want. Yes, I'm hoping the band will help, but it isn't magic. As someone else wrote - the weight didn't pile on overnight and it won't come off overnight either. Best of luck to you in your journey to better health.

Good luck to you dum bass! Haha. Love it! Loved reading this post. I am newly banded and a week after surgery started realizing just how many things the band would not help me keep from eating and drinking. Oh boy I have had to really focus and stay strong not to suck on just one hershey kiss. Chocolate! My goodness my one weekness and I never even thought about that little loophole before getting banded. I hope you are finally on your successful journey and you find the inspiration and support here if and when you need it!

I am going to introduce myself the right way, the honest way. I dont have a metabolism problem,I dont have emotional issues, bad parents, or any other excuse. I eat too much and drink too much.That simple. I had the surgery in January of 2010, it went well, and I was off to the races. I did my fills, and did ok. I didnt excel because I would have a few beers, a chip here and there, but all in all I had gone from 350 on the first visit, 340 on day of surgery to 290 in early October. Work got busy, I got lazy, and didnt get a fill for 5 months. Two weeks ago I weighed myself and was 333. I was disgusted.

THe band is pointless, I thought. I did not do ONE THING WRONG, I told myself. I had the band, I ate slow. So what if I had a few beers, some pizza, candy, more candy. No, I didnt do one thing wrong. I did everything wrong. Two weeks ago I turned myself in. At first I thought I would be humiliated, but the doctor was actually very understading. I got my fill, went on my way, and started a new life.

Then came Saturday. Basketball. One beer led to two, to five, to seven, to three white castles. I was back in form. Went home, melted mozzarella cheese in the microwave

And two beers, a glass of wine.

No more. I decided last Saturday this is it. I have been given a chance. Not a cure, not a miracle, not a panacea, a chance.

When I got the band I thought why should I go on message boards? I can do this on my own. I am here now as one of the steps I must take to accomplish what I want. Not what I deserve, not what I should have, not what I paid for, but what I want and must earn,

I have read a lot of posts and am glad I am here. Some good stories, some bad, some downright troubling, and some really uplifting ones. I have been on the board almost constantly since Saturday reading. My initial purpose for reading was to see if this board was worthy of my time. Usually people pay me for my time, I figured, so why waste it here. It didn't take long to realize that I am the one who isn't worthy of your time. I hope in time I can contribute here, and assure you I will when I can. For now, though, I apprecite you guys letting me ride your coattails.

Hello and welcome to this forum. Thanks for your honesty. I am glad you are here!!!