Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inconsistency with my band

Hey all,

I'm new to the board (banded in late 08). The past few adjustments I've gone in for have put the band in what I think is the most appropriate tightness and for the most part, it works fine. I can only eat small portions at a time, however sometimes I run into very strange inconsistencies. For example, every now and then I'll have trouble getting down liquids, this usually happens in the mornings. Most recently, I went to sleep after having a glass of milk, it went down fine. Upon waking up, I tried to drink a glass of milk, and it would not go down. This happens about once every two weeks and lasts for a few days (where I usually just drink Protein Shakes until it wears off). Is this normal?

The only time I've had any degree of consistency with my band was when it was far too loose and I could eat almost anything I want.

Normal I think. Sometimes we tend to wake up more restricted and the band loosens throughout the day. Have something hot to drink before you drink milk or anything cold; it'll help open up the band.

Yep, normal.

I've been experiencing the same thing since my second fill.

I used to be able to drink with meals (a no-no I know, but I still did it) - now I can't even sip with a meal because I'll get stuck immediately and will have to force vomit the Fluid.

Since my second fill I'm reduced to 1/4-1/2 c food per meal (except popcorn ... for some reason I can eat 3 cups of popcorn no problem).

I can no longer eat Breakfast, only drink Protein drinks.

It's definitely helping me lose weight, but it's a little frustrating to wake up and not know what's safe to eat.

So as far as I know it's completely normal but very frustrating.

This is my experience too!!!! And it's making me MISERABLE! I HATE this....and have not been able to find answers.

I called my dr. yesterday to follow up about it, and we've been playing phone tag, but her last message was that she does not know why my band is so inconsistent like this and she wants me to come in for a barium swallow to see if anything's wrong, so now I'm worried....

I hope lots of people respond and help us with this!

I've also found my band is very inconsistent. I've realized lately that a big issue that no one really told me about was dealing with my allergies and sinus drainage. It seems like when I have a lot of sinus drainage, my stomach is really irritated and I have problems keeping most things down, but if I remember to stay on top of the decongestants and allergy meds, not only does my head feel better, I'm able to eat more consistently.

I asked my doctor about this and she said it is very normal, but haven't really seen too many other people comment on this issue. Now is my peak allergy season and it just seems like my band hates the pollen as much as my head.

Oh well, this will pass . . . soon, I hope.

I've also found my band is very inconsistent. I've realized lately that a big issue that no one really told me about was dealing with my allergies and sinus drainage. It seems like when I have a lot of sinus drainage, my stomach is really irritated and I have problems keeping most things down, but if I remember to stay on top of the decongestants and allergy meds, not only does my head feel better, I'm able to eat more consistently.

I asked my doctor about this and she said it is very normal, but haven't really seen too many other people comment on this issue. Now is my peak allergy season and it just seems like my band hates the pollen as much as my head.

Oh well, this will pass . . . soon, I hope.

I am going through the same thing. I've never really seemed to have allergies that bothered me all that much but now that I am banded....if I am draining I can't eat. It's like it is too full already. I know, so gross. I'm taking psuedofed and trying to stay on top of it

Different levels of restriction throughout the day seem to be pretty normal for a lot of us. I'm tighter in the mornings, when I'm sick, when I'm dehydrated, and for the first day or two of my period. Every morning I drink hot tea or coffee to loosen things up, and this also helps at other times if I feel tight. Since I was banded, I have to pay much more attention to drinking a LOT when I'm active. Before the band, dehydration just made me thirsty--now it can tighten my band and make it hard to eat solid foods or even mushies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Alisa_S

Saw my PCP & officially started my 6 month supervised diet 07/26/24. She just told me to eat less carbs & sugar, use the air fryer and not fry my foods in grease, and to try to walk 30 minutes 3 days a week & if I can't do that (and I cannot), to walk 10 minutes daily. Told me to walk fast enough that my heart rate is raised.  She didn't give me a number as far as calories though. A year or so ago I was doing low carb/sugar free and keeping my calories at 1800 or below. She said I should up my cals to 2000 at that time, so that's what I'm shooting for now.
      Hubby walked with me today. He's in pretty bad shape so I was surprised he wanted to. We walked down the gravel road at a pretty good pace (for us LOL). 10 minutes walking and my heart rate was 115bps according to my Fitbit and 125bps according to his pulsometer. Either way, it was elevated and I was breathing hard. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a start. We'll do it again tomorrow. 😁
      I should be hearing from the surgeon soon. She said if I didn't, to call him next week. Since I HAVE to do the 6 month diet & that's going to put me into January by the time it's done, I'm hoping the surgeon will let me do all my testing in January. I don't want to do it all now and have my deductible get met, only to have to pay the deductible again in January or February for my surgery. Praying that things go the way I hope. 🙏
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jparadigm

Depressed lately...
      Losing very slowly because I'm not doing anything I'm supposed to be doing. No motivation to eat properly or go to gym. Scared....
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I'm so sorry you're depressed, but remember why you put yourself thru this surgery! You didn't do all of that for nothing. You've got this! You are strong! Lift your head up and get back in this! Go back to the basics if you need to.

You did this for you, don't let yourself down.

• stanley_imarc

IMARC Group’s report titled “Alternative Sweeteners Market Report by Product Type (High Fructose Syrup, High-Intensity Sweeteners, Low-Intensity Sweeteners), Source (Natural, Synthetic), Application (Food, Beverages, and Others), and Region 2024-2032”. The global alternative sweeteners market size reached US$ 4.9 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 7.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 4.05% during 2024-2032.
      Grab a sample PDF of this report: https://www.imarcgroup.com/alternative-sweeteners-market/requestsample
      Factors Affecting the Growth of the Alternative Sweeteners Industry:
      Health Consciousness: The increasing awareness among individuals about the health issues linked to high sugar consumption, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, is supporting the market growth. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious and seeking products that can provide sweetness without the negative health effects associated with sugar. This shift in consumer preferences is leading to a greater demand for low-calorie and natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol. These sweeteners offer the added benefit of having minimal impact on blood glucose levels, making them suitable for diabetic and health-conscious individuals.
      Technological Advancements: Innovations in the production and formulation of alternative sweeteners are impelling the market growth. Advancements in biotechnology and food science are leading to the development of high-intensity sweeteners with improved taste profiles and functional properties. Innovations in fermentation processes enhance the production efficiency and quality of natural sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit. These technological improvements are making alternative sweeteners more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers. Enhanced stability, solubility, and sweetness intensity allow these sweeteners to be used in a wide range of products, ranging from beverages to baked goods.
      Consumer Trends and Preferences: Evolving consumer trends and preferences are playing a significant role in driving the alternative sweeteners market. The growing demand for clean-label products, which are healthier and free from artificial ingredients, is offering a favorable market outlook. Consumers are increasingly seeking natural and plant-based sweeteners, aligning with broader trends toward plant-based diets and veganism. Besides this, there is an increase in the demand for low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives that support weight management and overall wellness. Food and beverage companies are responding to these trends by innovating and expanding their product lines to include options sweetened with alternative sweeteners, thereby catering to changing tastes and health concerns of modern consumers.
      Alternative Sweeteners Market Report Segmentation:
      By Product Type:
      High Fructose Syrup High-Intensity Sweeteners Low-Intensity Sweeteners High-intensity sweeteners represent the largest segment as they require only a fraction of the quantity to achieve the desired sweetness.
      By Source:
      Natural Synthetic On the basis of the source, the market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
      By Application:
      Food Beverages Others Food accounts for the largest market share due to the rising utilization of sweeteners in a wide variety of food products.  
      Regional Insights:
      North America (United States, Canada) Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Others) Europe (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, Others) Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Others) Middle East and Africa Asia Pacific region enjoys a leading position in the alternative sweeteners market on account of changing lifestyles of individuals.    
      Global Alternative Sweeteners Market Trends:
      Governing agencies and health organizations of several countries are implementing policies to reduce sugar consumption as they recognize its detrimental health impacts. Various regulatory bodies are approving alternative sweeteners for use, ensuring their safety and efficacy. These approvals provide food and beverage manufacturers with the confidence to incorporate alternative sweeteners into their products. Additionally, initiatives like sugar taxes in several countries are pushing companies to seek healthier alternatives to traditional sugar.   
      Furthermore, advancements in production techniques are making some alternative sweeteners more cost-competitive than traditional sugar. Consumers are becoming more concerned about the environmental impact of traditional sugar production and preferring more sustainable alternative sweeteners.
      Note: If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, we will provide it to you as a part of the customization.
      About Us
      IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
      IMARC Group’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
      Contact US
      IMARC Group
      134 N 4th St. Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
      Email: sales@imarcgroup.com
      Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
      United States: +1–631–791–1145 | United Kingdom: +44–753–713–2163

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Luis E. Lara

Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

Welcome!

I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches