Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inconsistency with my band

Hey all,

I'm new to the board (banded in late 08). The past few adjustments I've gone in for have put the band in what I think is the most appropriate tightness and for the most part, it works fine. I can only eat small portions at a time, however sometimes I run into very strange inconsistencies. For example, every now and then I'll have trouble getting down liquids, this usually happens in the mornings. Most recently, I went to sleep after having a glass of milk, it went down fine. Upon waking up, I tried to drink a glass of milk, and it would not go down. This happens about once every two weeks and lasts for a few days (where I usually just drink Protein Shakes until it wears off). Is this normal?

The only time I've had any degree of consistency with my band was when it was far too loose and I could eat almost anything I want.

Normal I think. Sometimes we tend to wake up more restricted and the band loosens throughout the day. Have something hot to drink before you drink milk or anything cold; it'll help open up the band.

Yep, normal.

I've been experiencing the same thing since my second fill.

I used to be able to drink with meals (a no-no I know, but I still did it) - now I can't even sip with a meal because I'll get stuck immediately and will have to force vomit the Fluid.

Since my second fill I'm reduced to 1/4-1/2 c food per meal (except popcorn ... for some reason I can eat 3 cups of popcorn no problem).

I can no longer eat Breakfast, only drink Protein drinks.

It's definitely helping me lose weight, but it's a little frustrating to wake up and not know what's safe to eat.

So as far as I know it's completely normal but very frustrating.

This is my experience too!!!! And it's making me MISERABLE! I HATE this....and have not been able to find answers.

I called my dr. yesterday to follow up about it, and we've been playing phone tag, but her last message was that she does not know why my band is so inconsistent like this and she wants me to come in for a barium swallow to see if anything's wrong, so now I'm worried....

I hope lots of people respond and help us with this!

I've also found my band is very inconsistent. I've realized lately that a big issue that no one really told me about was dealing with my allergies and sinus drainage. It seems like when I have a lot of sinus drainage, my stomach is really irritated and I have problems keeping most things down, but if I remember to stay on top of the decongestants and allergy meds, not only does my head feel better, I'm able to eat more consistently.

I asked my doctor about this and she said it is very normal, but haven't really seen too many other people comment on this issue. Now is my peak allergy season and it just seems like my band hates the pollen as much as my head.

Oh well, this will pass . . . soon, I hope.

I've also found my band is very inconsistent. I've realized lately that a big issue that no one really told me about was dealing with my allergies and sinus drainage. It seems like when I have a lot of sinus drainage, my stomach is really irritated and I have problems keeping most things down, but if I remember to stay on top of the decongestants and allergy meds, not only does my head feel better, I'm able to eat more consistently.

I asked my doctor about this and she said it is very normal, but haven't really seen too many other people comment on this issue. Now is my peak allergy season and it just seems like my band hates the pollen as much as my head.

Oh well, this will pass . . . soon, I hope.

I am going through the same thing. I've never really seemed to have allergies that bothered me all that much but now that I am banded....if I am draining I can't eat. It's like it is too full already. I know, so gross. I'm taking psuedofed and trying to stay on top of it

Different levels of restriction throughout the day seem to be pretty normal for a lot of us. I'm tighter in the mornings, when I'm sick, when I'm dehydrated, and for the first day or two of my period. Every morning I drink hot tea or coffee to loosen things up, and this also helps at other times if I feel tight. Since I was banded, I have to pay much more attention to drinking a LOT when I'm active. Before the band, dehydration just made me thirsty--now it can tighten my band and make it hard to eat solid foods or even mushies.