Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Some Help

Hi Everyone

Happy New Year! :) I went to see my doctor last tuesday the 3rd and he is so angry with me. I had my surgery on July 27th 05. He said I'm not doing well. I have had 2 fills since my operation. A total of 1.5cc in a 4cc band. It wasn't until my 2nd fill that I have noticed restriction. I have only lost 26lbs in 5 1/2 months. He was so angry. I get such conflicting messages from him and the nutritionist. She says I can eat 5 small meals a day he says absolutely NO Snacks THREE meals a day thats it. I asked him how much food should be a meal 12345 cups????????? He couldn't answer me. His response was until I was full. Well If I new that answer do you think I would be fat???? Since my fill I have been working very hard. I need to see him Feb 23rd for another fill. I always have my fills under floro because he can't find the port without it. Since Oct 31st my brother was in a car accident and rolled his SUV 3 times Stressful holidays, My mom had a stroke, fell, and has phenomena. We went to Tennessee for Christmass which was a traumatizing trip from start to end. So Yes I have been eating out emotion that horrible demon. Could some one tell me how much to eat at on time?? Thanks:) :) :) :confused: :confused:

Jennifer, my wife's doctor's PA told us, hold out your hand and look at your palm. The ball at the end of your thumb should be your veggies. The small depression next to it, right in the middle, should be your sweets. The rest of your palm (not all of your fingers, just the palm) should be your Protein (read as MEAT).

It's not your fault that you haven't felt restriction until now. He needs to back off. Everyone is soooo different. The emotional eating is understandable. It took us a lifetime to create these habbits. They won't disappear in 5 months.

Go back to your nutritionist and find out what your daily Protein and fat goals are. Start from there. Work diligently at meeting those goals and steering away from empty calories.

Best of luck. Chin up!

Hey Im looking at my hand too and its starting to look tasty... hmmm maybe its dinner time..

Jennifer.. sorry but your Dr sounds like a jerk.. Hang in there girl... I havent lost all that much either.. and I try so hard to tell if I am full or not.. I try not to snack.. Its hard but I guess its just a way of life, and no matter how many fills you get you still want to get to that point that will help you feel full faster..

Sorry you have had to go through so much during the holidays, but I hope things are better now...

Take Care

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

right now I eat no more than 1200 calories (usuallu 1090 or so) and get in 50-60 grams of Protein. I eat mostly meat, cheese, and veggies: about 6 ounces of meat and a cup of veggies(more veggies if still hungry) very little Pasta and potato or bread. I would go to your nutritionist and have her help you figure out what is best for you. Tell her your weaknesses and what Good foods you like and she can make a plan for you that you can stick to. Hope this helps.

Please don't beat yourself up. We are all human. You have been through a rough time and have had a hard time without enough restriction. Think of today as a new start and put it behind you. We are all here to support you so lean on us and try not to let your doctor get to you. I'm sending you warm thoughts and a big HUG.

Let's see... It's been just about 26 weeks since you were banded and you're down 26 lbs... sounds to me like you're right on track! You should be losing an average of 1 to 2 pounds a week, and you are! So give yourself a pat on the back and tell that jerk that professionals aren't supposed to get mad at their patients, they're supposed to calmly discuss problems and offer solutions.

I hope the New Year is going better for you! :)

do not let your doctor entimidate you. He is going by a text book on how well you should be doing. Use his negative energy into positive energy for yourself. Look at the bright side you have lost 25 pounds. Stay positive don't focus on the past on things you cannot change look into the future to things that you can change. We all are human (yes even the doctor) a mistake is only harmful if one does not learn from it. Good Luck and hang in there. We all have are moments of weakness.:clap2:

Jennifer, keep your chin up! You are doing just fine and within the range of 1-2 pounds per week. Sometimes surgeons can get overly stern and feel they are doing it for "our own good." Just make sure you are eating your Protein first, so you can be satisfied for longer periods of time. Then, take a deep breath and tell yourself that "you're worth it!" You've had a stressful time and now it's time to give yourself a bit of LOVE. Get out walk, get your hair done, and listen to your "gut feeling." You know what you need to do. Good luck, Shawn

Man... your doctor would HATE me. I was banded in July of 04 and have lost 55 lbs so far.

Keep in mind that he's a surgeon and not a nutritionist. I think you would do better to listen to your nutritionist when it comes to food. If you are restricted well you probably can't get your protien all in with 3 meals. I need 4 meals usually. If he gripes at you again, first, I think you need to tell him to back off and be more professional, and second, you need to tell him to talk to his nutritionist because they are giving different instructions and they should make sure they are on the same page!

You are doing great, and if your doctor doesn't think so, he needs to be asking you questions, not berating you.

I agree with both Anwyn and Marimaru...he's not being very professional if he's getting angry at you. I also agree that you will probably get more help at this stage from a nutritionist. But he does need to know that you are getting conflicting instructions...that shouldn't happen from the same team. Don't let yourself be intimidated...you hired him, and he's working for you...he also needs to be reminded of that! He needs to be trying to figure out how to help you work toward your goals...not just get upset at you. I think it sounds like you've done amazingly well considering the stress you've had.

Take good care of yourself...hugs to you!

Emily

Oh Jenifer! what a jerk you have for a surgeon. Sounds like he's more concerned with his numbers than with your needs.

26 in 26 is GREAT, espeically given the amount of stress you are going through right now. Most people gain weight under such stressful things, any one of which is hard to deal with. Because you have had so many super stressfull things happen in such a short amount of time, I would schedule some time with a councelor or therapist. I know that many people belong to an organized religeon, perhaps this would fit you as well?

You are doing well, and if he yells at you, then tell him to come talk to me, and I'll set him straight.