Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 3 days ago and my doctor said I could start full fluids today, to include the Meal Replacement Protein Shakes. They are 8oz and I was wondering how long I should take to finish one of them. I'm sure I'm still quite swollen, not hungry either, but my surgeon called yesterday and said for me to make sure I start taking in nutrition besides broth and the clear Protein Shots he prescribed. I've been sipping on one for half an hour and probably only drank about 2 oz of it. If that. I'm afraid of drinking anything fast, to tell the truth.

So what's the ideal time to finish one? I think I'll put it back in the fridge and save the rest for my next two meals LOL.

Nicole

That's a hard one. My first day home I was on clear Soups but could have Protein Shakes. You may still be swollen from surgery. I did not go full liquid soups (tomato) until day 8. It sounds however like you are having more emotional concerns of eating after surgery rather than a physical issue. I would try taking small sips but maybe timing yourself so you take a sip every 20 seconds. That should give the liquid time to make it's way through the band so you don't feel like it's "pooling" in the small stomach.

I was on Clear liquids a few days after, then i was able to do Protein shakes. but only 4 oz at a time! After a week and 1/2 I called the dr's office cause i was SOOOOOOO hungry I could feel my intestines turning and spazzing out cause I hadn't eaten! I was then able to do creamy soups!.. No chunks. but still only 4 oz.

Now i have a shake only 6 oz. never full 8 oz! could stretch your new pouch!

Not sure... but I don't think fluids can stretch your pouch?

hmm... it may be somewhat emotional... however I'm just afraid of nausea and vomiting too. I'm not too sure how long I'm supposed to feel "full" after drinking a shake. I mean technically it's a slider food. And I am not even hungry to begin with. Just trying to do what I thought was right :(

I was just banded on 3/28, so a week ago tomorrow, and it is taking me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drink an Adkins Protein Shake. It's definetly not a race, just sip it as you can/want to until you get it down. Right now I laugh at the surgeons suggestion to take in 60gm of Protein daily. I'm doing good to get down one 15gm shake per day, I can't imagine trying to suck down 4 of them.

You know, honestly, it's one of those weird things: for me, for a few weeks after surgery it would literally take me hours to be able to drink 8 oz of anything, especially the shakes. Now it's almost 3 months later and even though they say shakes and other liquids are "sliders", I can get quite full rather quickly from drinking. I've always been someone who feels full if I have too much to drink, and that hasn't changed since surgery. I actually prefer to keep my Protein Shakes as part of my diet as opposed to eating solid Proteins more often because sometimes I'm just not hungry but I can mix some Protein Powder in a drink and get fluids and Protein at the same time, you know? I certainly wouldn't suggest forcing yourself to drink more than what feel comfortable; there's a lot your body is trying to adjust to after surgery and it will get better as you heal.

You can sip all day long, as long as you get the nutrition in. But put it in the fridge ! VERY BAD IDEA ! If its cold, chances are it will have a hard time going down.

Eventually,,,,,,,, you can take say MUSCLE MILK LIGHT instead of adding 8oz. of Water, add 4 oz.. Mix that up, and pour it into a desert dish, put in the freezer, and you have a pudding. Still the same Protein level

Shirley.

Ok thanks everyone.. I'm so absentminded that I posted something similar just a few moments ago again ... I feel like a dork :unsure: ... I just feel so helpless. I've been on this site for so long (been researching lapband for almost 2 yrs) but now that it's happened I'm lost. *sigh*

The nutritionist I met with in the hospital said it should take 30 minutes to finish a full liquid meal. That turned out to be a perfect pace for me. See if it works for you.

Not sure... but I don't think fluids can stretch your pouch?

liquids flow straight through your pouch to the large stomach so no it's not likely to stretch the pouch...