Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

My name is Annabelle. I have not yet been banded. My surgery date is April 20th. I am 5' 10" My highest weight was 390. I am currently at 369. I wear a size 34-36 (4X) pant and 38-40 (5X) shirt.

I have been looking at getting WLS since September 2010. In October 2010, I went to the hospital because of chest pains and was kept overnight for observation. I woke up three days later in an ICU ward. I had stopped breathing suddenly during the night. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I also have borderline high blood pressure. This situation was a wake up call to me. My weight really was having a negative impact on my health. When the doctor gave me my release instructions, he recommended that I look into WLS. I had never considered it before. I went to an informational seminar and thought it sounded like the procedure would work for me. I checked my insurance coverage and found that they sometimes cover the surgery. I met with the surgeon's PA the next week. I had to undergo a psychological evaluation, and exercise evaluation, a nutrition evaluation, and because I also have asthma, a pulmonary clearance for surgery. Although my insurance denied the procedure once, I was able to get approval on appeal. I found out on Friday (three days ago) that the procedure will be covered. I meet with the surgeon and do all my pre-op blood work and meet with the dietitian on April 6th. I will have to do a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Did anyone else have to do that?

I look forward to meeting people who are also undertaking this journey. Thanks for reading my post!

Annabelle

weight.png

Annabelle -

Congratulations on getting 'banded'. I had my surgery 3/19, and so far, so good.

Yes, I went on a pre-op diet 2 weeks before surgery. Mine was 1200 calories a day,

but I could eat solids. I lost 15 pounds pre-op. I've lost 16 since my operation (I started

at 385). I have found this forum to be a wonderful tool. Also, there is a fabulous website

with shopping lists and recipes that I stumbled onto - http://theworldaccor...e.blogspot.com/

I'm taking it one day at a time - but I am confident when I say this was the best decision I have made

in a long, long time.

Good luck on your journey - may you have fair winds and following seas.

Jim

Hi all,

My name is Annabelle. I have not yet been banded. My surgery date is April 20th. I am 5' 10" My highest weight was 390. I am currently at 369. I wear a size 34-36 (4X) pant and 38-40 (5X) shirt.

I have been looking at getting WLS since September 2010. In October 2010, I went to the hospital because of chest pains and was kept overnight for observation. I woke up three days later in an ICU ward. I had stopped breathing suddenly during the night. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I also have borderline high blood pressure. This situation was a wake up call to me. My weight really was having a negative impact on my health. When the doctor gave me my release instructions, he recommended that I look into WLS. I had never considered it before. I went to an informational seminar and thought it sounded like the procedure would work for me. I checked my insurance coverage and found that they sometimes cover the surgery. I met with the surgeon's PA the next week. I had to undergo a psychological evaluation, and exercise evaluation, a nutrition evaluation, and because I also have asthma, a pulmonary clearance for surgery. Although my insurance denied the procedure once, I was able to get approval on appeal. I found out on Friday (three days ago) that the procedure will be covered. I meet with the surgeon and do all my pre-op blood work and meet with the dietitian on April 6th. I will have to do a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Did anyone else have to do that?

I look forward to meeting people who are also undertaking this journey. Thanks for reading my post!

Annabelle

weight.png

Annabelle -

Congratulations on getting 'banded'. I had my surgery 3/19, and so far, so good.

Yes, I went on a pre-op diet 2 weeks before surgery. Mine was 1200 calories a day,

but I could eat solids. I lost 15 pounds pre-op. I've lost 16 since my operation (I started

at 385). I have found this forum to be a wonderful tool. Also, there is a fabulous website

with shopping lists and recipes that I stumbled onto - http://theworldaccor...e.blogspot.com/

I'm taking it one day at a time - but I am confident when I say this was the best decision I have made

in a long, long time.

Good luck on your journey - may you have fair winds and following seas.

Jim

Thanks so much. Congratulations on your surgery and weight loss since then!

Welcome Annabelle!!

I'm Marcy. I was just banded on 3/15/11. I'm 5'2" and my highest wt was 297. Way back in 2005 the surgeon who removed my gallbladder recommended WLS to me because I had fatty liver and had bleeding complications during that surgery. I plan to send him a thank you note for the suggestion ... becuse even though it was over 5 years ago his suggestion took root in my head and ultimately I believe has led to a longer, healthier life for me. I've only been banded for about 3 weeks but I am so so so incredibly glad I went thru with it.

I hope they started you on cpap?

Annabelle, welcome to lap band world! It can sure be a long and convoluted process.

If you want to keep in touch with a bunch of great people who are being banded on the same month as you, come join us in the April 2011 Bandsters board. It`s great to chat with those who are exactly where you are in terms of their weight loss journey.

I'm on a pre-op diet for four weeks - two Protein shakes, one Protein Bar, and two cups of veggies a day. It`s a challenge, especially on weekends, or when I host a party (like yesterday).

I'm told the pre-op weeks are the toughest, or maybe I'm choosing to believe that. Nevertheless, it's getting me through these days of deprivation.

Good luck!