Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I actually joined LapBandTalk last summer, when I was in serious contemplation mode. Since then I've been to an information session (at the False Creek clinic in Vancouver, BC), and got my application in. Unfortunately, there are limits on who private clinics can perform surgery (BMI limits) so instead of having surgery here, I'm going to have it in Winnipeg, at their sister facility.

After sending my application, getting a physical, blood tests and ECG, I flew to Winnipeg on Monday of this week to meet the psychologist, dietitician and surgeon. All have approved me for surgery. The therapist said it was a close thing, because she's concerned about my success, probably because I definitely have a food addiction and I'm apt to self-sabotage. I intend to participate in long-term therapy in this process, and she convinced me to start therapy before surgery, and to work at it for at least a year.

So I left Winnipeg with a go-ahead for surgery, a date booked (April 26), a deposit paid, and three weeks' worth of pre-op diet stuff. It was very interesting explaining to the security at the aiport what all those foil packages (shake mix) and bars (Protein bars) were :).

When I asked the coordinator when I'd start my pre-op diet, I thought she'd say Monday or Tuesday of next week, to make it three weeks of pre-op diet. She said that I'd be starting the next day (four days ago), so I'd better go out and have a nice dinner. Starting the diet right away was a bit of a surprise, but I dealt with it. I flew back home, my husband and son met me at one of my favourite restaurants, we had a good meal (without getting stupid about it) and the next day I started the pre-op diet.

Two Protein shakes, One Bar, and 2 cups of veggies per day. This is the most restrictive diet I've ever had. The first day I was nervous that I'd starve and maybe have bouts of low blood sugar, but I've eliminated my diabetes medication, and I feel just fine. In fact, I'd say I feel more than fine. The first three days were pretty good. I was busy and focused on a lot of things other than food. Today it's Saturday, we've had a relaxing day, and I could gnaw on the furniture. I've eaten everything I'm supposed to, plus a wee bit more (nothing serious) and I'm still hungry. Whenever I start to despair my husband makes me a cup of tea (he's my biggest cheerleader).

Hey, I just realized that by the time I have surgery, I'll have been on this pre-op diet for four weeks, not three! Sigh. Tomorrow we go buy a new battery for the scale, so I can weigh myself. I'm hoping some movement on the scale will give me a morale boost.

i'm cautiously excited about the surgery, and feel confident everything will go well. No nerves at all (well, almost none).

I'd love to meet other people who are having surgery close to my date, or hear advice from anyone who has sage words to share.

What a great adventure we're on!

JoanneD (to be banded on April 26)

I actually joined LapBandTalk last summer, when I was in serious contemplation mode. Since then I've been to an information session (at the False Creek clinic in Vancouver, BC), and got my application in. Unfortunately, there are limits on who private clinics can perform surgery (BMI limits) so instead of having surgery here, I'm going to have it in Winnipeg, at their sister facility.

After sending my application, getting a physical, blood tests and ECG, I flew to Winnipeg on Monday of this week to meet the psychologist, dietitician and surgeon. All have approved me for surgery. The therapist said it was a close thing, because she's concerned about my success, probably because I definitely have a food addiction and I'm apt to self-sabotage. I intend to participate in long-term therapy in this process, and she convinced me to start therapy before surgery, and to work at it for at least a year.

So I left Winnipeg with a go-ahead for surgery, a date booked (April 26), a deposit paid, and three weeks' worth of pre-op diet stuff. It was very interesting explaining to the security at the aiport what all those foil packages (shake mix) and bars (Protein bars) were :).

When I asked the coordinator when I'd start my pre-op diet, I thought she'd say Monday or Tuesday of next week, to make it three weeks of pre-op diet. She said that I'd be starting the next day (four days ago), so I'd better go out and have a nice dinner. Starting the diet right away was a bit of a surprise, but I dealt with it. I flew back home, my husband and son met me at one of my favourite restaurants, we had a good meal (without getting stupid about it) and the next day I started the pre-op diet.

Two Protein shakes, One Bar, and 2 cups of veggies per day. This is the most restrictive diet I've ever had. The first day I was nervous that I'd starve and maybe have bouts of low blood sugar, but I've eliminated my diabetes medication, and I feel just fine. In fact, I'd say I feel more than fine. The first three days were pretty good. I was busy and focused on a lot of things other than food. Today it's Saturday, we've had a relaxing day, and I could gnaw on the furniture. I've eaten everything I'm supposed to, plus a wee bit more (nothing serious) and I'm still hungry. Whenever I start to despair my husband makes me a cup of tea (he's my biggest cheerleader).

Hey, I just realized that by the time I have surgery, I'll have been on this pre-op diet for four weeks, not three! Sigh. Tomorrow we go buy a new battery for the scale, so I can weigh myself. I'm hoping some movement on the scale will give me a morale boost.

i'm cautiously excited about the surgery, and feel confident everything will go well. No nerves at all (well, almost none).

I'd love to meet other people who are having surgery close to my date, or hear advice from anyone who has sage words to share.

What a great adventure we're on!

JoanneD (to be banded on Apri

hi there

good luck on your surgery ...i had mine in dec and i went from tons of insulin to very little i lost 25 lbs peop and 45 since it does still take effort but it sure has saved my life.....