Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Back on Track

I have tried a couple approaches so far in 2011 to get back on track and get losing again. Proud of my total loss so far but know I need to finish my journey and was plateaued out for a long time. From early January to early March I tried the new WW Points Plus system but I quickly found that when they kept advising us we could do unlimited vegetables for the bulk of our eating, and unlimited fruits, plus lean meat and counting points for any processed foods, I found I was still eating too many processed foods because they were the easier things to go down. I couldn't eat alot of bulk on vegetables due to my restricted level from my band. So unfortunately for me, I didn't stick with this new WW program. I still think it is a healthy weight loss approach I just wasn't making progress and was getting frustrated. Sounded so much like my weight loss efforts before my lapband. So I kept seeing articles for Central Ohio Nutrition which is a Protein Shake based program and the cost of a supervised program was out of my reach financially for now. I did find a program on Medifast that was approved by doctors as a bariatric program approach for pre- and post-surgery patients and I decided to try this. I ordered the Women's program for a month and started it two weeks ago. I have lost 7 lbs in those 2 weeks and have been satisfied on what I had to eat. It came with the following types of foods in packets that are mixed with Water or ice, and you eat 6 times a day, Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack.

1. Scrambled eggs
  2. Oatmeal
  3. Protein snack bars - 4 different flavors, Peanut Butter was really good!
  4. Soft Serve (ice cream like)
  5. Pudding
  6. Soup - chicken noodle and Chicken and Wild Rice
  7. Brownie mix
  8. Pancake mix
  9. Shakes - chocolate, vanilla, banana creme, strawberry
  10. Hot drink mix - cappacunio

So the program calls for using 5 packets chosen as you wish from the options above and 1 Meal of Lean Meat and Green Vegetables and 1 tsp of healthy oil, I used olive oil or canola. All the packets are virtually equal in calories and Protein value - about 100-110 calories each and 10-12 grams of protein each. So with 5 of these packets and a lean protein meal, I have definitely stayed within a 60g-70g protein level a day and I'm thinking with 600 calories from the packets and 200-400 calories from the lean protein/veg meal, I am probably consuming close to 1000 calories a day.

So after 2 weeks, I have used up about half the packets of food received in the prepared box for a month supply and I am committing now to order some more to keep going another month. I did make some adjustments in what I think I will order. I didn't find the pancake one that helpful to me. I think I could fix 2 egg whites for breakfast as my substitute for the powdered scrambled eggs. The pudding and soft serve were nice evening treats but they weren't portable to work for eating as lunch or mid-day Snacks. The hot drink cappacuno was good but I had previously ordered Syntrax Nectar/Matrix Protein Drinks where I could get the equivalent of about 100 calories and 10g protein to mix with my coffee as a hot drink I enjoy. The same Syntrax company has an Orange Creme protein mix which also was a good option for a shake besides chocolate, strawberry and vanilla which are easily available in retail stores. The value of buying the packets is that it is all packaged up for you -- no prep work to get ready. I plan to measure out snack size baggies of the cappacuno and orange drink and feel I will be good. I did have a couple days where I used a canned Protein Drink like Slimfast but it was 170 calories for the same 10g of protein - not bad but I am trying to stay at 1000 calories or below and can't do that with Slimfast as too many substitutes.

On the Pancake one - it tasted and looked okay as a pancake but without Syrup or lite margarine I couldn't eat this as well as eggs or oatmeal as a breakfast.

I'll post some additional links here because I found that a box of 7 Soup packets for about $15 on Medifast are similar to a box of 7 with same calories and protein for a couple other brands. I found a bulk container of protein enhanced oatmeal also for less for a 20 serving container than individual boxes of 7 packets for 21 servings would have cost. If the convenience of the packages already done is what you need, stick to that. If you are a cost conscious person, maybe a few substitutes for cost reasons would be okay but keep to 1000 calories and 60-70g protein a day. I have not been overly hungry - after the 2-3 hrs after breakfast, I am ready for my snack, and etc. But I was supposed to be doing this approach to 6 small meals anyways and I had gotten away from it.

Will post as I continue along and share honestly what is working and what is not.