Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recipe Ideas for 1 (or 2)

Hey guys,

I need a little help with some recipe ideas for 1 or 2 people. If I make a big dish, I'll eat some left overs, but a good portion of it goes to waste. There are 2 reasons for this, 1 is that my fiancee doesn't often eat what I make, opting for fast food or something else (which is fine, he's a skinny butt), and 2 if he eats what I make, he doesn't often eat leftovers. I need ideas for recipes that can at the very least be cut in half, or made for 1 or two people. Even if it's for 2 people, if I make it I'll eat the leftovers. I'm also kind of lazy, so the easier the better... :):D:D

One thing I made that might interest some:

I got a french onion Soup kit that basically had dried onions and a soup base. It called for 4 and a half cups of Water, and I put in 7, mixed in the soup base and the onions and put in 4 boneless chicken breasts. I let it get to a low boil and left it that way for about an hour, stirring occasionaly. When I could cut the chicken breasts in half with my plastic spoon it was pretty much done. A quarter of the soup has 84 calories, then add however much chicken you happen to have to that and you've got your count. Oh, I also added some white pepper and garlic powder to it when it was almost done.

The chicken shreds right up and is very moist. I'm having some for lunch today, and I'll either have it for dinner tonight, or do something similar with a leek soup packet I have. :hungry:

Thanks all!

This is difficult because it's also not really great nutrition to eat the same meal four nights in a row, but I had the same trouble when Doug was away for 2 weeks on a fishing trip.

I'd make things and freeze the leftovers in single portions where possible so that you dont have to have it all in the same week. But even stuff like tubs of cottage cheese are difficult to get through on your own arent they?

Hope these links help you. I cook 1 x a week (sundays) for my dinners during the week. I'll make 2 dishes and alternate them so when I come home from work I have just the dishes to worry about, but we like leftovers.

You can sign up for their cooking for 2 news letter

http://www.pillsbury.com/Solve/cooking_for_two.aspx

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/solution/meals_for_two_menu_ideas.aspx

Good articles:

http://www.womentodaymagazine.com/foodcooking/fortwo.html

http://www.tennessean.com/features/food/archives/05/01/64770073.shtml

Sarah,

I couldve written your post.

I eat anything - nearly everything. For me, food is an art. Im cajun, so I come from strong blends and taste's.

My hubby on the other hand is different.

There is NOTHING more aggravating then cooking a delicious (at least thats what I would call it) meal... roast, rice and gravy, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, salad and green breans with sauted onions and bacon in it. Only to have my husband turn his lip up and say, "Im not very hungry."

When I know he is starving!

MAJOR CAT FIGHT happens!

This is SO discouraging.

I now hate cooking, and VERY seldom (like once or twice a year) try something new. With 3 kids having mixed eating habits, I struggle with fixing homecooked cultural meals compared with simple easy stuff (that all 5 of us eat)!

Im writing this reply to give you some ideas of what I cook (and to let you know you are not alone in this crazy situation) - and I feel its better (healthier) then F/F!

I make taco's alot. Hard and soft shell. You can make this as fancy or as simple as you like. Brown ground meat, shredded lettuce, grated cheese... nuke the shells - and everythings done in 15 mintues! For me, I like to add sour cream, chopped tomatoes & green onions. Everything in this meals stores well enough to make plenty for the next evening's supper.

And this is something that Mike will eat left overs of.

We also make homemade pizza's - healthier then Dominos or pizza hut. I make my side with my favorites (onions, mushrooms, ground meat) and their side with the same ole boring stuff they like. I top it all with mozerella cheese. Prep. time is about 30 mintues, from fridge to table.

Fried boneless, skinless chicken tenders... with salad and mac and cheese for Mike and the kids. For me, I choped the chicken in my green salad. yum, yum!

If you want me to pm you more ideas, I can. :) after 17 years of marriage to this, I have a ton of more ideas.

Thanks Eileen for the links!

Paula, thanks for all the good ideas. We both have picky Mikes! Tacos sounds like a good idea. I can't eat tortillas, but I'm not against a little dish of taco insides B). Mike would eat tacos. I think he's rather order a pizza than have me make one, but I will give that a try too. :)

Any more ideas you have would be most helpful. I find myself resorting to frozen meals and canned Soups, and I'm getting sick of them!!

Thanks!

Sarah,

both named Mike? yikes, thats scarey!

about the taco's... if you can eat chips, then you should be able to eat a hard taco shell. Thats basically all it is - a big tortillia chip. Mike and the boys eat the soft shellls, and me and my daughter eat the hard shells. Its all so cost efficient that I dont mind getting both shell types.

And the pizza idea... well, I had to do some serious talking for Mike to try it. Definatly healthier. I cant eat the crust - no matter how thin it is. Weve tried all the pre-mad shells, but these seem to be the best - At Walmart I buy the Mama Mary pizza shells. They are near the deli, where all the special cheeses are. If you find the shells, look on the shelf below and you will see the Mama Mary pizza sauce. 1 jar makes 2 pizzas. Maybe if you get'em involved with the making of his own pizza he will go for this idea better?

yum!!!

good luck!

One thing I did before surgery with tacos was I just bought some salad greens and put all the fixins on that. You can use ranch dressing or I would Water down sour cream just so it poured a little easier and then top with salsa. Im drooling just thinking about it. Hope this helps.