Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hmm...can somebody verify something for me?

So had my psych eval today....it was good....they mentioned a couple of things that I never read anywhere or seen before so I'm seeing if somebody can verify it for me.

1-she said that with this surgery I can't have any sugars....EVER...is that true?

2-she also said that if I ever overeat ONCE I'll rip the band of my stomach....uhh, what?

just seeing what the truths of those 2 statements were

So had my psych eval today....it was good....they mentioned a couple of things that I never read anywhere or seen before so I'm seeing if somebody can verify it for me.

1-she said that with this surgery I can't have any sugars....EVER...is that true?

2-she also said that if I ever overeat ONCE I'll rip the band of my stomach....uhh, what?

Oh my. No wonder so many people are misinformed. Gotta love misinformed health "professionals."

1. False. This is usually geared more towards those undergoing gastric bypass.

2. False. You may feel some tightness, maybe PB, but no nothing will rip. The band is sutured to your stomach and then part of the stomach is sort of sutured around the band itself so it's enclosed.

UHHHH.........well I'm not the doctor but.....assuming we're talking the BAND here....I had Cookies the other night.......I have overeaten. It doesn't feel great to overeat I'll tell you that, and it's certainly not recommended to overeat as you could cause band slippage or something.....but sounds kind of exaggerated to me....Let's see what the others think :)

I agree. False on both accounts.

One of the nice things about the band is you CAN indulge when you want, in moderation. Birthday party? It's okay to have a small piece of cake. Halloween? Want a small piece of chocolate? That's ok. Now gastirc bypass is different where if you eat sugars you can get dumping syndrome and get sick and that's because unlike with banding they actually remove a portion of your bowel.

If you overeat you can STRETCH OUT the portion of your stomach above the band, cause pain and nausea, and vomiting can actually cause the lower portion of your stomach to come up thru the band ("band slippage.") The band itself and the pain of overeating will in all honesty pretty much stop you in your tracks before you consume that much food. And chewing very very well will prevent vomiting and then slippage.

My band is still empty but if I take that one or two bites too much I'm very aware of it from physical discomfort. At that point it's very easy to tell myself to just "STOP" and put my fork down. And if I eat a consistence that gets stuck (for me flour tortillas at this point) or don't chew well enough I know almost instantly--intense chest pain. It's a learning process for sure, but I know my band is going to be an swesome tool to keep my eating under control.

You would think the professional would have the correct information.

Neither, to my experience, is true.

I eat sugar.. you shouldn't because its bad for your and will ruin your diet.

You feel sick and have terrible gas pains if you over eat quite a bit.. You physically WONT eat SO much that you will explode your band, you just won't have that desire.

"She" doesn't know what "she's" talking about. Sounds like "she" needs psych eval more than you.

I've had my band 1 1/2 yrs. Have eaten sugars & have overeaten. Only consequence of overeating is severe heart burn.

She's gotta be pulling your leg to "SCARE YOU STRAIGHT !" In hopes, that you won't eat candy or chocolates, or sugar. / Then she again tactic ! to try to make sure you stick to the plan they design for you. This would be my guess.... :huh: Who knows what her B.S is all about.

But NO.... truth to that at all !

thanks guys, I figured too...it's ok, I got a good report from her so now that ALL my tests are done, awaiting results and then meet with Dietitian and Nutritionist at the hospital and then schedule surgery.....CANNOT FREAKING WAIT

With therapist like that, it's no wonder people don't want to seek help when they are troubled!

Glad you got a good report and will have your surgery. Continue to read this forum and you will learn a lot from people that have actual experience with the lap band.

I can't stop shaking my head when I think about what this "therapist" told you about lap band. tsk, tsk, tsk ... shame on her!

All the best to you!

~fran

Wow....I can't even imagine the doctor I went to saying stuff like that! She was more worried about my mental state than letting me know what I can and can't do, that's what my surgeon and nutritionist is for.

Anyway good luck to you!!! Hope it all works out.

Good grief. I would just nod and say "Uh huh" then let it all go right out the other ear. All you need is that piece of paper saying you passed the eval. Just another example of a "health-care professional" full of BS.

Health Care "professional" ?....don't get me started......LOL

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule? Something like the 80/20 percentage ratio can apply to almost everything in life.

For example: 80% of the papers on my desk are not that important, 20% are. 80% of the stuff in my house is not needed or clutter, 20% is of value or needed.

80% of employees are average or below average, 20% are awesome, and so on and so on.

Now, if this principal applies to most areas of life, then it stands to reason that 80% of doctors are idiots, inexperienced, and/or jerks and 20% are awesome.

That's my rocket science for the day :)

Good grief. I would just nod and say "Uh huh" then let it all go right out the other ear. All you need is that piece of paper saying you passed the eval. Just another example of a "health-care professional" full of BS.

Lmao!

What was the question again??? I was too busy laughing at what they told you!

As pp's have stated, you can have sugars...in moderation and if you continue to abuse your band in time, it will erode, slip, or break if you're that good.

S/n I hope your surgeon is better educated than the person who did your psych workup

What a walking Mountain of MISINFORMATION !