Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie~awaiting approval~getting cold feet :0/

Hello everyone. My name is Diana and I am a 29 year old female, married, no children.

I had my initial consulation on March 15th and at that time I weighed 216. My BMI is 45 and height is 4'10; no other medical conditions. My surgeon told me that I am definately a candidate due to the aforementioned and would not need to go thru the 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery that many others do. I had my bloodwork done March 28th and nutritional/psych eval done March 29th. Insurance paperwork has been submitted and I'm awaiting approval.

BUT ~~> I'm getting cold feet.

I tell myself, why can't I do it on my own? Why must I have a foreign object placed in my body in order for me to be able to achieve weight loss?! Will I experience the horrible pain after surgery that many bandsters have?? ( my pain thresold is not great) What if it doesn't work?!!! Will I have complications with the lap band when I try to have children?? (preferrably sooner than later)

And to top off all of my concerns , I've noticed that I've actually been eating more since I began this process !! Its like the world is gonna end and I gotta eat all my fav things before Dday! Is this normal?!?

Please help

Soo scared :0(

I was just going through all of those emotions especially the eating like crazy for the 2 months before my surgery...I had to start my 2 week pre op diet 2 days after I returned from vacation so let's Just say I ate and drank everything in Jamaica! However I feel like once I started that 2 week pre op something changed and I was ready for my "new" lifestyle! I also still feel like why can't I do this without something plastic inside of me...I had success in the past lost 60 lbs on WW but I just was never satisfied...I already feel "fuller" and I haven't had a fill yet!!! This is the best decision I have ever made to be a healthier me...not sure about the pregnancy part I already have 3 kids so I am set there! I am 35 years old and started at 263 lbs...in the weeks since I started I have lost 35 lbs! Also I was in pain for about 4 days and then sore for the next few days and I also have no pain tolerance...all worth it! Good luck to you!!!

BUT ~~> I'm getting cold feet.

I tell myself, why can't I do it on my own?

Why must I have a foreign object placed in my body in order for me to be able to achieve weight loss?!

Will I experience the horrible pain after surgery that many bandsters have??

Will I have complications with the lap band when I try to have children??

I gotta eat all my fav things before Dday! Is this normal?!?

As far as I can see, everything you have written is normal and occurs to all of us. Here are my thoughts and opinions:

I. I could not do it on my own- and I tried and tried and tried - and I am so glad i got help (banded 2/15/11). I lost 50 lbs 3 times in 5 years. I gave up - that kind off loss was not good for me.

2. About the pain, I don't know who told you about horrible pain: No one here is telling stories about horrible paid. In fact, check the post op board, most are surprised how well things go: They DO complain about the gas pains (and they are really uncomfortable) but no one is asking for morphine. Its more a big discomfort than a horrible pain.

3. Children: People have children with the band. There is a whole forum on this site for concerns. Check it out! BTW: My hubby's cousin had a baby with the band and she was close to 40. The baby is BEAUTIFUL.

4. Eating all your faves before the band is installed. Normal, but not a good idea. The operation goes better if your liver is small since they actually move it out of the way during the operation (they DO put it back). The liquid diet prepares the liver and eases surgery.

You are also saying goodbye to your old friends (sort a speak). One last date with fetticini alfredo, one last lasagna, I actually experienced grief. I loved food and it loved me. I posted about this on the post op board. This is something many experience as well.

Here is what helped me: The band is COMPLETELY removeable. And, I did not call it an operation. It was a 45 minute PROCEDURE, as far as I was concerned.

Good luck, keeping asking questions, and hope it all goes well.

Terri

I had cold feet the first time I talked seriously with a surgeon (2 yrs. ago) and I like you thought why can't I do this on my own. I guess I felt a little cocky and didn't go through with the surgery. Needless to say, it has been 2 yrs. and I have gained a good 20 lbs. extra to loose. Since meeting with my surgeon (a new one), I am sure this is the right time and surgical staff for me! Sometimes things just don't fit! Have you talked to any other surgeons? Maybe you should see a few and make a decision on who would be best for you. At least then, you have some control over the situation. It may make you feel a bit better.

Then again, it may just be cold feet. You have to make the decision as what is right for you and the pick the right time! Good luck.

We are sooo in the same boat!!! Everything you addressed, I have said or thought, so I guess either we are two weirdos or its normal :lol: ! I have an appt with a surgeon next Tues. Im hoping to have my procedure in April, since I am self pay. I have become obssessed with this forum and it has helped me with my cold feet. Good luck and hang in there. Keep us posted on where you are at with your decision.

Melissa