Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bubbles Bubbles Everywhere but not a drop to drink

I had my band placed on Monday, March 28th. That makes me post op day 2 and I am miserable with the gas. I've tried walking from one side of my house to the other, leisurely back and forth, back and forth, heating pads, ice packs, chest percussion and my husband trying to burp me like an infant. I have had only 8oz of veg. broth ALL DAY, sipping slowly and periodically and have been sipping on sugar free kool aid, just to keep my mouth moist.

The gas bubble are driving me crazy. Every time I take a tiny sip and swallow I get horrible pains in my chest and the gas bubbles start to roll up and go where ever they go. It sounds like I have to burp but then nothing comes out except burping noises that aren't coming out of my mouth. Is all of this normal? I know there is a lot of swelling but this seems ridiculous. The doctor told me that liquids would flow right through. I have been nauseated, feeling like I need to vomit more than anything yet nothing happens, more bubble popping noises or I spit up bubbles?

I did also end up needing a hiatal hernia repair while he was in there and I have been having hiccups several times yesterday and today. Should I be concerned about these issues or is this normal post-op behavior? Should I call my doc and get nausea meds?

Thanks for your help.

For several days after surgery I felt like I needed to burp but nothing would come out. I just knew I would feel so much better if I could just get some of the gas out! After a few days, I was finally able to burp (and fart) the gas out...normally while walking around the house. GasX and heating pads helped a little bit but the biggest help was time. As far as the nausea goes, I really didn't have any but a lot of people do.

My doctor sent me home with prescriptions for both pain and nausea. I would suggest that you call and ask for something for the nausea...also, if you are taking the pain meds they can cause nausea. You can try to switch to a liquid pain reliever (Tylenol liquid was recalled but CVS has their own brand)...that might also reduce the nausea.

I like the chewable gasx or the gasx strips. They were my lifesaver the first couple weeks. Also for some reaso if I lie on my right side I am able to burp easier. Hoe that helps and I promise it gets better!

I had gas pains for two weeks and two days. I can tell you it gets better. It was rough and the gas x did little to help me personally. I felt that the heating pad worked better and I took my pain medicine at night because I felt more pressure when I laid down. When I was able to eat tuna and real food my weight lose slowed down but the gas went away. Now I am now almost at three weeks and I feel gas pains only when I eat too fast or take too big of a bite. Best wishes!

it does get better continue to walk as much as you can. try drinking some peppermint tea, warm to see if it will assist your stomach in settling down. The nausea could be from the stomach being swollen. Hang in there!

Not sure if you're having the same issue that I did, but I found that I was constantly spitting up hundreds of bubbles (they looked like foam from a bubble bath). Turns out I needed a de-fill (my surgeon put 2cc in during the operation - Slimband now do partial fills during surgery as part of practice). For days, every time I sipped anything, it would come back up as foam, so they removed 0.5cc - and that didn't help, so they removed another .5cc. So now I only have 1cc in my band and am looking forward to the five week fill, as I have no restriction now that the swelling has gone down!

Good luck and remember - the side effects, however nasty, will seem like a distant memory soon :)

I have been nauseated, feeling like I need to vomit more than anything yet nothing happens, more bubble popping noises or I spit up bubbles?

My advise is to call your health care team and advise them how you feel. The nausea is what I would stress. My PA prescribed nausea meds just in case in addition to the pre-surgery pill.

The first week is about keeping you stomach a still as possible and letting it heal. Hiccups and nausea cause movement.

Your health care team may be able to give you something to make you more comfortable.