Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder issue

Hello everyone...anyone have gallbladder issues after being banded? My sono was clean before my surgery in August...and I am down 50lbs- last week gallbladder attack. Surgeon is removing it this friday and has be on liquids all week....at least I have been down this road before with the liquids...and I am just looking at as an easy way to lose a few pounds. Hunger is not my issue..think the nerves and fear of pain is worse at this point. But I was just curious if anyone is having similiar issues. I have found on the net that sudden weight loss or obesity surgery can def. cause this to occur. Thank you in advance for your responses. :)-Sandy

I am very nervous about having a gall baladder attack. Part of my pre-requisites was an ultra sound of my liver. They found at that time I have gall stones. I am scared to death that once I have the band and start losing weight, I am going to have a gall bladder attack. I really am unsure what to do.

I certainly wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. I will keep you in my prayers.

Hello everyone...anyone have gallbladder issues after being banded? My sono was clean before my surgery in August...and I am down 50lbs- last week gallbladder attack. Surgeon is removing it this friday and has be on liquids all week....at least I have been down this road before with the liquids...and I am just looking at as an easy way to lose a few pounds. Hunger is not my issue..think the nerves and fear of pain is worse at this point. But I was just curious if anyone is having similiar issues. I have found on the net that sudden weight loss or obesity surgery can def. cause this to occur. Thank you in advance for your responses. :)-Sandy

Sandy:

I had gallbladder issues about 9 months after being banded and had it out. It's an easier surgery than the band. They'll usually do it outpatient and my band was with an overnight stay. One thing I wish someone had told me is that when you have lost a bunch of weight and have a jiggly belly it really hurts after the gallbladder surgery when it moves. So, you may want to wear something that fits tightly after your gallbladder surgery to keep the jiggly down.

Feel better soon!

Sue

Sandy:

I had gallbladder issues about 9 months after being banded and had it out. It's an easier surgery than the band. They'll usually do it outpatient and my band was with an overnight stay. One thing I wish someone had told me is that when you have lost a bunch of weight and have a jiggly belly it really hurts after the gallbladder surgery when it moves. So, you may want to wear something that fits tightly after your gallbladder surgery to keep the jiggly down.

Feel better soon!

Sue

Thank you so much Sue for that tip...I do have a jiggly belly..so I am sitting here laughing because the logic is so true. Looking forward to just getting this over with...and so grateful to all the tips everyone and well wishes.

i am just having issues not even sure its my gallbladder i have had 3 attacks three days straight pain in the middle of my back upper part of my stomach Constipation now diarreha i am going in tomorrow for a ultra sound i hope they find and fix whatever is the matter with me because this awful and my scan before did not show anything and me to have lost 50lb will keep u posted tho doc also says it could be reflux

I had my surgery 5 years ago, and just this year had to have my gallbladder removed. I had small persistant issues starting around a year after my surgery. This year, my gallbladder threw a freaking temper tantrum, and I got hit with about 4 gallbladder attacks in about a 2 month timespan. Oh my good gracious, I can't tell you how painful those suckers are! I have never been in so much pain in my entire life. After the first one, they did a ct scan and found a whole mess of stones in there. They suggested I schedule sugery to remove the gallbladder, but I was stubborn. After being hospitalized for the 3rd time, they finally sort of forced the surgery on me. My suggestion: if they find gallstones, just get the surgery. Since having it removed, I feel a thousand times better. Only side effect I've noticed is that I can't handle my alcohol as uhhhhh gracefully as I could before.

Just had mine out last week.

20% of lap band patients need theirs out in the first 18 months.

It's very common. 10% of people will continue to have pain the rest of their life. 90% will not have that type of pain. Around 10-20% will have diarrhea for many years following - most won't. There's a lot of information online about it.