Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O.k So tomorrow I go in for my first doctors appt. to start the whole process of lapband surgery. My nerves are at an all time high. Honestly, never chewed my nails down this much before. lol. My wonderful boyfriend of many years is fully supporting me in this endevour, but unfort. my family is very upset. Everytime I turn around all I hear from them concerning the lap band is, "Krissy you can do this on your own, you lost 80 lbs before you can do it without surgery." "Why go to this extreme?" Oh my god I seriously can not answer this question again. As all of you know, app. diets "just don't work" otherwise don't you think I would of kept the weight off?!?! As my doctor points out I need a long term solution not a short term thats why she wouldn't even consider weight loss pills. My doctor Knows my situation, I couldn't even begin to count how many times I have tried WW, the current "fad" diets, and so on. I can see that I am rambling on here, so i will get to my point I quess, I need advice, I need to someone besides for my wonderful boyfriend, someone to tell me that I am going down the right path. I know it may sound so stupid, but without the support of my family, any words of encouragment helps me forge through another day of this life long journey ;) . thank you all so much for listening!

Krissy

Are you living my life? Are my relatives talking to you? I totally relate. I get the "do it naturally, you've done it before." "You aren't that big that you need to resort to surgery." REALLY? I think that if my family new my weight they would be shocked and YES, i"ve done it "naturally" before...heck I've done it quite a few times but here I am. If I could keep it off, then I wouldn't be here. I am frustrated with family as well and as my surgery date is getting closer, honestly, I'm scared to death of this change BUT, I know I have to do it before it is too late and I develop diabetes or some other condition. So far the only thing I've dealt with is some high blood pressure. I have a 3 year old son that I want to be here for and at this point in my life, this is MY decision so I can be healthy and live a good, fun life with my son. I've shut other people out who won't listen or be supportive. My family is sort of coming around because they know I'm not turning back....they can either help me succeed or step out of the situation. I even looked into getting a taxi or taking the bus to my hospital the day of surgery so I didn't have to bother any of my non-supporters...funny how they want to be there now. You do this for you. If you are like me, yes, you can lose it on your own, but you can't keep it off or we wouldn't be resorting to this surgery. No, I don't want to have to do this but after 20+ years of up and down and fad diets and more weight gained back than lost...I'm tired of it. I admit I need the help and I think I have my mind in a good place where I can lose it and the band will help me keep it off. I'm scared, excited, nervous and have really, really cold feet but I know it is what I have to do. I have warned my husband that the first month he is going to hear a lot of whining and "what did I do to myself" moments but I know in the end when I purchase my first outfit that is not in the chubby chic section and my blood pressure is normal and I'm not longer exhausted and tired, it will totally be worth it. Keep heading down your journey...you only have one you and you need to take care of it. If this is what you need to do, do it and don't look back. Good Luck and we are all here to support you....we've been there, or are there or are heading there :thumbsup:

I think it is wonderful that you are taking steps to improve your health. I am sure your parents are just worried (like parents do) and probably uninformed about Lap Band surgery. Go to the meeting with your surgeon and get the information and then take some time to sit down and really explain the procedure to your parents...many people hear WLS and just assume it is all like GBP. Hopefully, by showing them that you have done the research and that you and your doctor feel that this is the best thing for you to do FOR YOUR HEALTH, they will come around. Either way, you will find a lot of support and information here on LBT to help you along the way...

Good luck with your journey!

O.k So tomorrow I go in for my first doctors appt. to start the whole process of lapband surgery. My nerves are at an all time high. Honestly, never chewed my nails down this much before. lol. My wonderful boyfriend of many years is fully supporting me in this endevour, but unfort. my family is very upset. Everytime I turn around all I hear from them concerning the lap band is, "Krissy you can do this on your own, you lost 80 lbs before you can do it without surgery." "Why go to this extreme?" Oh my god I seriously can not answer this question again. As all of you know, app. diets "just don't work" otherwise don't you think I would of kept the weight off?!?! As my doctor points out I need a long term solution not a short term thats why she wouldn't even consider weight loss pills. My doctor Knows my situation, I couldn't even begin to count how many times I have tried WW, the current "fad" diets, and so on. I can see that I am rambling on here, so i will get to my point I quess, I need advice, I need to someone besides for my wonderful boyfriend, someone to tell me that I am going down the right path. I know it may sound so stupid, but without the support of my family, any words of encouragment helps me forge through another day of this life long journey ;) . thank you all so much for listening!

Krissy

I understand your situation. I knew that my family would be the same way, so I didn't tell anyone except my husband about my surgery. In fact, my husband and I were banded on the same day. We told the family afterwards. My son said that he was so worried about our weight and doing nothing. He is happy that we are finally doing something! Just remember, the band is so much safer than GBP or the sleeve. It can be adjusted to your own needs. However, it is just a "tool". You will still have to watch your diet, and exercise. If you do all of that....you will be successful. As for your parents, I would just ask them: "How many years do you want me to be on this earth? Without this lapband, my life is shortened considerably." The surgery is safe and effective. Please keep us updated on your posts.

PS We were banded on December 29, 2010....my husband has lost 63, and I have lost 41.

Krissy,

I am totally with you on the idea that this surgery will prevent the weight from coming back. That is my hope too. I am totally prepared to do the slow losing and not drinking before meals and all the other lap band rules because I honestly believe that this time the weight won't come back. If you keep thinking that way you will be amazed at what you are willing to go through because it may be the last time you have to do this.

I agree totally with vickyd that it may be they don't know what it is about and parents worry. I know for me, I am 38 and was able to make my decision without input from my family and once I decided, because it was my decision alone, I just told my mom that I had made up my mind. I think she went along with it because she knew I had decided and wasn't wavering.

I wish you the best!

I can totally relate along with the others. My family thought I was nuts even though all of my sisters and even mother is obese. I didnt speak to my step dad for about a month after because he was so hurtful to me. He didnt want me to do it. I tried to explain procedure and they have their own opinions.

Seriously at end of the day, you have to pray about it, evaluate why youre doing this and make the decision. The consult was not bad at all. Its scary but they give you so much info and we have this site which is wonderful and I stumbled upon it after a post surgery melt down. This may happen to you as well. I felt like I made a mistake because my family didnt want me to do it.my total loss between 6 month preop period and 6 month post op is 63lbs. I havent been this size since I was in the 6th grade and thats sad seeing that I will be 40 in a few months. Search your heart and I believe it wont steer you wrong. I had 6 months pre op to make my final decision. This is the hardest but BEST thing ive ever done for ME!

Well thank you all for the wonderful words of wisdom, I just got home from my appt. and man alot of my "jitters" are relieved. Dr. Courtney in geisinger scenerty park in state college is awsome I def recommend her. She understands alot and this just amazed me she listened to me..lol don't get to many doctors that do that.. I act. one time had a doctor tell me that " he needed to hurry up because he had a date with his wife, and he is running late", Dr. Courtney actually explained everything to me. so...whew do i feel better. take care, everyone and thanks again. My journey has only begun. ohh has anyone use Geisinger health plan? I need to call them and just wondering how to get ahold of them :D