Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded two years ago -April- 09. Did a great job for the first six months. Have come to a screeching halt and am struggling following the program. Went back to my surgeon for my last fill in Nov. 2010 and told her I was embarassed to come because I hadn't lost anything since my last visit. I got a fill and am supposed to go back next month but am ready to cancel and give up since I haven't lost anything. The emotional eating has gotten the best of me and this now seems like one more time that I've failed at wt. loss and it's been a life long process and I'm in my 60's. I just can't seem to get a handle on following the food plan or anything else. Sorry to whine but I'm really stuck.

I was banded two years ago -April- 09. Did a great job for the first six months. Have come to a screeching halt and am struggling following the program. Went back to my surgeon for my last fill in Nov. 2010 and told her I was embarassed to come because I hadn't lost anything since my last visit. I got a fill and am supposed to go back next month but am ready to cancel and give up since I haven't lost anything. The emotional eating has gotten the best of me and this now seems like one more time that I've failed at wt. loss and it's been a life long process and I'm in my 60's. I just can't seem to get a handle on following the food plan or anything else. Sorry to whine but I'm really stuck.

So sorry to hear of your struggles! I think you should keep your appointment and ask about what other support they can offer; couseling, nutritionist, support group... When you reach proper restriction it will be much easier to control your emotional eating but you should still get the other support too. You can make this work for you! Don't look to past failures but look forward. We have all failed many times but with the right support, tools and follow up appointments we can all succeed!

Hng in there and believe in YOU! Joan

You fell down.....ok get back up and keep moving forward. Don't keep kicking yourself becasue it will do more harm than good. I agree try and get with a therapist and nutritionist and tackle the emotional eating issues. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Keep your appointment because proper restriction is important to your success GOOD LUCK

I'm 56 if that helps. My Dr. emptied me, and told me my band BLEW do to overfill. In 3 years I regained all but about 20 lbs., so now I find out I was just deflated, and nothing wrong with the band (DIFFERENT DR>) I am starting all over again.

Don't miss the Dr. visit, and end up like I ended up. Just keep plugging along. It's one day at a time, and that's it. You know what you should have, and not have. If I were you I would get started. I know what it's like to fail at stuff, but this is possible. even if it is only a certain amount of weight that you only lose. Do you keep a journal, count those calories, and Protein. If your hungry more then every 5 hrs. you need to be filled. I like mine a little tight, because I'm not hungry as often, and this is a step by step process. Every Time you get filled, you get a little closer to the spot that works for you. So don't throw in the towel yet.

Shirley

I'd keep your appointment like Joan said.

You just have to take responsibility for yourself! I know it's hard. I make excuses for myself all the time. But you can do it!!!

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and I know that I need to keep the appointment and do the other things you suggested, it's just hard to face the Dr. and face thae fact that you haven't done what you should.

So sorry to hear of your struggles! I think you should keep your appointment and ask about what other support they can offer; couseling, nutritionist, support group... When you reach proper restriction it will be much easier to control your emotional eating but you should still get the other support too. You can make this work for you! Don't look to past failures but look forward. We have all failed many times but with the right support, tools and follow up appointments we can all succeed!

Hng in there and believe in YOU! Joan

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and I know that I need to keep the appointment and do the other things you suggested, it's just hard to face the Dr. and face thae fact that you haven't done what you should.

You think your the only one that messed up? I don't think so. Your Dr. knows this is part of the Band, like being to tight. (THE RED ZONE) It's easier to be lose and mess up, then to be way to tight, and swollen, and find yourself being deflated and in a mess!

You will come along, don't kick yourself to hard.

Shirley.

Hi - it's been a long time since I've replied to any of the posts - but I do read them all the time. DO NOT GIVE UP - you mirror my problem. I am 58 and it will be 2 years for me in May. all along, I have done well, but since November, I have not lost one pound, as a matter of fact I gained 20. I was so upset and didn't want to go to my Feb. appointment. then I find out that my doctor left the practice, moved to Florida and there is a replacement doctor, but I now can't get into see him until March. thought I should just suck it up and go anyway - I can't be the only one to have gained weight. the appointment was very upsetting for me, and of course I shed a few tears. he couldn't get the needle in and said that he always does under floro (which my doctor never did and never had a problem). so I came out of there, have to wait 2 weeks for a fill - but you know what - I'm doing it. paying attention again, because I had a long talk with myself and decided, I am worth it. and if I messed up - so what - we are human, and as long as we get back on, it will be OK. I am still better than I would have been without the band - I would have been heavier. never thought it would be easy - but never thought the head hunger would be this hard. can't change it - but I can try. one thing that really helped me - prior to losing weight, I couldn't walk from the parking garage to work without huffing & puffing. I would actually count my steps, to make sure I could make it to where I needed to go. I don't EVER want to be that way again, and only I can change. (sorry for the long post - guess I needed to get it off my chest)

I know it's hard when you hit the wall but don't let the food win! You are worth way more than whatever crap you are thinking about eating :(

Please don't apologize for needing to get it off your chest, that's exactly the reason I signed up today for this website. Glad to know that you're sticking it out and we are worth it but sometimes it takes reminding when we haven't done enough self talk. I so appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts today and am going to have a talk with myself, get all my info from pre and post op out and start over ONE MORE TIME. Let me know how you're doing and let's keep this boat afloat together.

Hi - it's been a long time since I've replied to any of the posts - but I do read them all the time. DO NOT GIVE UP - you mirror my problem. I am 58 and it will be 2 years for me in May. all along, I have done well, but since November, I have not lost one pound, as a matter of fact I gained 20. I was so upset and didn't want to go to my Feb. appointment. then I find out that my doctor left the practice, moved to Florida and there is a replacement doctor, but I now can't get into see him until March. thought I should just suck it up and go anyway - I can't be the only one to have gained weight. the appointment was very upsetting for me, and of course I shed a few tears. he couldn't get the needle in and said that he always does under floro (which my doctor never did and never had a problem). so I came out of there, have to wait 2 weeks for a fill - but you know what - I'm doing it. paying attention again, because I had a long talk with myself and decided, I am worth it. and if I messed up - so what - we are human, and as long as we get back on, it will be OK. I am still better than I would have been without the band - I would have been heavier. never thought it would be easy - but never thought the head hunger would be this hard. can't change it - but I can try. one thing that really helped me - prior to losing weight, I couldn't walk from the parking garage to work without huffing & puffing. I would actually count my steps, to make sure I could make it to where I needed to go. I don't EVER want to be that way again, and only I can change. (sorry for the long post - guess I needed to get it off my chest)

Thanks so much and you're right, I just need to remind myself of that -constantly.

I know it's hard when you hit the wall but don't let the food win! You are worth way more than whatever crap you are thinking about eating :(

Hi, my name is Kathy and I am new at this and this is my first post. Out of frustration, I thought I would join to see if anyone else is having the same problems as I am. I too had my surgery in April of 09, I lost a total of 32 lbs. and have now gained back 5. I too feel like such a failure. I no longer feel any restriction at all. I feel hungry all the time and the emmotional eating is out of control. I don't think emmotionally I can handle one more weight loss failure. I am 58 yrs. old and am tired of the fight. I have not lost a single pound in almost a year now. I went to the surgeon on Mon. and had a fill, but honestly I cannot tell the difference at all. My coworker had the same surgery after I did, weighed more than me and has lost 75lbs. and does not exercise at all and I know what she eats, and it is not as good as what I do. It is very hard to see her everyday and not feel angry.

Kathy - don't give up. how did your fill go - does he do it under floro? my "new" doctor claims that that is the ONLY way to know if you have enough Fluid - he said the other way is just doing it blind. I do agree with him to a certain point - but my other doctor did just fine. - I too have a co-worker who had the surgery going on 3 years and has lost 150 pounds - so I feel your pain. but, you can do this - you are not alone. we have to learn, not to compare your success/failure to someone else. sometimes you just can't keep up with the jones. we are all individuals and we get what we put into it, sometimes the rewards are slow to come. but for me - I am going to hang on. at my old age, I am still learning - and it is so easy to fall back into my old patterns. but if I do - the next day I am going to start again. I like feeling like I do now - I don't want to go back. little steps

Kathy - don't give up. how did your fill go - does he do it under floro? my "new" doctor claims that that is the ONLY way to know if you have enough Fluid - he said the other way is just doing it blind. I do agree with him to a certain point - but my other doctor did just fine. - I too have a co-worker who had the surgery going on 3 years and has lost 150 pounds - so I feel your pain. but, you can do this - you are not alone. we have to learn, not to compare your success/failure to someone else. sometimes you just can't keep up with the jones. we are all individuals and we get what we put into it, sometimes the rewards are slow to come. but for me - I am going to hang on. at my old age, I am still learning - and it is so easy to fall back into my old patterns. but if I do - the next day I am going to start again. I like feeling like I do now - I don't want to go back. little steps

I agree ! I had my first fluoroscope about 3 weeks ago, They can see everything, and so can you. I saw my 4cc band, and for being a old band, it's in good shape. I was glad to find this out.

Were all different. You might take longer, but !!! It will come of with effort and time.

Just hang in there. I mean I'm starting from scratch. After losing over 120lbs.. That's in one year at a 1200 calorie a day diet. So you can make this tool work for you.

Hi Kathy,

I have ten years on you in age and it seems we're in the same boat. I'm still working fulltime and am off recuperating from surgery on my ankle til May 13 and the food monster is haunting me. I've had the same experience - have b een able to eat anything I want since I got on regular food after the surgery, popcorn , steak, you name it. Obsess about food, if it's here I want to eat it..

I really do think that we are way too hard on ourselves and we are suffering from diet fatigue having fought this battle all my life at least. I have a sister in law who has been obese since the day I met her 35 years ago, who never did anything about her weight and three years ago she got the band and lost 88 lbs in a year and like you with your co-worker, it's hard to see her and not feel angry. Though I will admit the anger is at myself and that sure doesn't help me with the food monster. I wish I could just find the key to why I don't want to take care of myself the way I seem to take care of every one around me. Is that you too? I don't want to fail at this either and that's why I sought out this sight yesterday, I knew I wasn't the only one having this problem but it sure has felt like it for the last six months or so. I don't know about you but I have always had trouble asking people for help and I think that's also part of my problem. I still haven't decided if I will keep my appt. on 3/31 to have another fill, it will only be my third.

You've only gained back five and I know that you can keep it from becoming 5 more because you reached out to this site as well, you can turn it around. Now that I've finally gotten clearance to start rehab and can walk w/o the cast I'm going to start doing that at lunch-are you in a place where the weather is getting better and can do that at lunch? Stay in touch, we're not in this alone............Sandy in Ohio

Hi, my name is Kathy and I am new at this and this is my first post. Out of frustration, I thought I would join to see if anyone else is having the same problems as I am. I too had my surgery in April of 09, I lost a total of 32 lbs. and have now gained back 5. I too feel like such a failure. I no longer feel any restriction at all. I feel hungry all the time and the emmotional eating is out of control. I don't think emmotionally I can handle one more weight loss failure. I am 58 yrs. old and am tired of the fight. I have not lost a single pound in almost a year now. I went to the surgeon on Mon. and had a fill, but honestly I cannot tell the difference at all. My coworker had the same surgery after I did, weighed more than me and has lost 75lbs. and does not exercise at all and I know what she eats, and it is not as good as what I do. It is very hard to see her everyday and not feel angry.