Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss seems stalled 3 weeks post-op

My husband was banded on Feb 28 after losing almost 25 lbs on the pre-op diet. He lost approx. 15 lbs the first 2 weeks after surgery on the liquid diet -- we were sipping liquids, doing Protein Shakes, and having Soup for dinner. Not much exciting there. He essentially skipped the purees and went straight to some mushy food, but is now on soft solids - such as fish, potatoes, etc. He's been walking everyday and we even went on a hike this past weekend. The problem though, is that the scales haven't moved at all since he came off of liquids. Has anyone else experienced this stall? We're watching portions and while we're not pureeing his food, he's really not eating much besides grilled fish and low-fat sliced turkey with some veggie on the side. He goes for his first fill in 2 weeks, so we're hoping that will get him back on track and we'll see the loss start back up. His doctor didn't tell us how much loss to expect in the 6 weeks post-op but pre-fill so we don't really know what to expect --- but we definitely didn't expect the loss to stop as soon as we stopped liquids. Anyone who can share experiences, advice, etc. would be a great help! Thanks and good luck to everyone in their journey!

I was banded on March 1. I am in the same situation. I lost 6 lbs on the pre-op diet. Then I lost 8 lbs the first week after my surgery. In the last 2 weeks, I have only lost 1 lb. I get my first fill on Friday. I think this is normal. Frustrating, but normal.

I was also banded on Feb 28. The first 2 weeks were great with weightloss. The third week....it all stopped! It can be very frustrating :(. I go for my first fill next Tuesday, and I am hoping that the fill will help things move along a little. It helps to know that I am not the only one going through this stalled phase. At least we are not alone.

I've read about it happening to countless others..... drop like crazy on liquids and then as soon as you move out of that phase it stops. Just remember up until your first fill, you are healing and no weight loss is expected. Any you get is just a lil perk. After first fill, it should drop, drop, drop

I was banded Feb 16th; same thing happened to me 4 weeks out, which was last week. Sunday I dropped 3lbs. I think my body is hanging on to everything going in it right now, which isn't much.

-P

Oh thank goodness for all of you! After reading soo many posts about people dropping crazy amounts on the pre-op diet and then "not being hungry at all" after surgery, I thought I was the only one totally frustrated with a band I wonder is there most days.

I haven't had any adverse reactions to any food. I can eat like I did before surgery which is helpful... NOT. We go through a lovely pre-op diet, surgery, gas pain and tasteless food to feel & look exactly like we did before. Okay-can you tell I'm not so loving this band right now?! lol

Thanks for listening to the rant. :)

• You will find times where you just stop right before your next fill. Then you will start loosing again. Slowly increase your exercises and watch what you eat and how much of it at a time. IF you follow the instructions it will work. If you push food thru with liquids and eat lots of soft high fat and calorie stuff, it will fail. But it sounds like you are on the right track so far. GOOD LUCK!

I am going throughnthe exact same thing ' I lost 30 lbs first three weeks Then I stalled and I actually think I have gained 6 lbs in the last two weeks , Glad to hear I'm not alone,,,,

OMG i am sooo Happy to come accross this forum because i was getting worried i had my lap band on March 10th and since have lost 18lbs but for almost a week i havent lost i have stayed the same (which is ok) but i was getting worried thinking i was doing something wrong despite only eating less or equal to 1/4 cup on each meal. I got freaked out because i also did pureed food like three days and than started with soft solids.

When the scales stall I get out the tape measure and find that the inches are coming off even though the weight does not appear to do so

As you lose weight you tend to become more active - building muscle at the same time as losing fat

The weight might not change much but the tape measure never lies

Good luck to us all

Im going for my second fill next week and feel that I am doing OK so far

Half way to my goal in just 4 months

i was banded on the 25th feb and i lost 5kgs on the Optifast diet pre op and then first 2 wks post op lost an extra 4kgs but now im 4 wks post 2day n since i been on mushys diet ive gained 3kgs but then lost 1kg ive been told u dont loose much the first 6 wks post op coz ur stomach is still recovering but after 6wks it starts droppin off smile.gif

I went and saw my surgeion today for my first follow up visit. I had surgery on Feb 23 and have lost a total of 17 lbs. He has done over 4000 surgeries and said it was normal for people to lose for the first two weeks, stall out the third, and then gain a pound or two the 4th week. I lost 14 lbs the first two weeks, stalled for 8 days and then lost 3 pounds. To keep from getting frustrated, I just hid my scales and kept on keeping on. It is moving again but I would much rather not weigh and just judge by my clothes than to be disappointed from checking every day. That is where I got in trouble loosing weight before I was banded.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am really thankful for this post. I was banded 03/07/2011 and weight loss has stalled. I'm going to see my Weight Loss Counselor today and will let you know what she says. I'm thinking maybe my metabolism has slowed to a crawl due to lack of food intake?

I am so glad I found this site!! I was banded on May 12th and lost 13 pounds the first week but not a pound since I started phase three...whew finding you all has given me hope!! Thanks!

I think there's more of us out there than any of us thought before!!

I'm the same aswell. Banded 05-05-11. Didn't do the pre-op so no weight lost there, lost 15lbs in the 2weeks post op but actually GAINED back 4lbs in week 3! (which essentially made me want to kill myself lol) but then I spoke to my surgeon and he said exactly whats been said above: that it's completely expected that the first 2 weeks you drop, stall or gain in weeks 3-5 but after 6 weeks is when the body and stomach should be healed more or less completely and thats when normal weight loss happens.

Kinda wish I'd been told this pre-op though. Or rather, I wish my ears had been a little more open when my surgeon told me not to expect miracles hahaha