Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I read a couple months ago that flying on an airplace and going to difference places will cause the band to tighten up. Why is that? Im traveling next week and now am wondering if I will be sick and/or everything will get stuck.

That's a rumor... I flew this weekend, felt fine. I even ate on the plane. I felt a little weird going, but I don't think it was band related. Or if anything... just don't eat on the plane.

So, I read a couple months ago that flying on an airplace and going to difference places will cause the band to tighten up. Why is that? Im traveling next week and now am wondering if I will be sick and/or everything will get stuck.

I didn't have any problems either. I also ate on the plane with no problems.

Thats what I thought, I was wondering why flying would cause band change. It's all psychological, I guess. Good, because I was worried I would have been all messed up.

It depends on how tight you are and what altitude you are used to and several other things......

Think about what happens to Shampoo bottles when you fly. I didn't have trouble when I went to see relatives a year ago and my band was pretty tight. I did find that I could eat more when I was there because I live at a 8,500ft. and the place we went was a great deal lower in altitude. When I go up over 9,500ft. I can hardly eat anything. It has to do with the pressure of oxygen.

yes I would agree with hummingbird because a lady i work with, her 2 daughters have the band and last week had to go to the ER because she was throwing up some blood. They told her it was from the band and flying. The other daughter was fine though. Not sure about the blood thing though. Maybe she was really tight to begin with.

The nurse at my doctors office said that when you are stressed it causes your stomach to tense so I wonder if issues when flying are due to stress and the tissue under the band rather than the band itself.

yes I would agree with hummingbird because a lady i work with, her 2 daughters have the band and last week had to go to the ER because she was throwing up some blood. They told her it was from the band and flying. The other daughter was fine though. Not sure about the blood thing though. Maybe she was really tight to begin with.

We did learn about this in the many science classes I had to take, but it has been many years, so I'm not good at explaining it. The sister who had the tightness may also have some air in her band. The pressure of any gas, including oxygen will increase as the altitude increases. It has something to do with Boyle's Law. I was trying to find a good explanation about Shampoo and lotion bottles when flying, but have not found a real good one yet. The Fluid in the band will react the same way.

I had heard from my surgeon, who has a band, that he can only sip liquids when flying. I flew this last week and very cautiously ate and drank without any problems.

Have fun on your trip! Joan

I am scared of flying now.. OMG

Hi FayfayE!

The affects of flying and our experiences with the band are more than just a rumor. I have first hand experience which has varied from one flight to another.

As others have mentioned, air pressure and altitude can affect the outcomes. The rate of ascent and descent will affect the air pressure in the airplane's cabin. The cabin is also pressurized differently, depending on the age of the plane. This is one reason we are all having different experiences from one flight to the next.

My surgeon has helped me to resolve possible issues by instructing me not to eat anything 1 hour before the flight and to only sip liquids during flight.

If you're interested, there is another thread you can read, "Flying, Cabin Pressure and the Band."

Don't let this deter anyone from traveling, the issues are easily managed!

Happy flights!

I fly every 1-2 months sometimes 10-12 hours one way and never had any big issues with my band.

I find it is best to request low calorie meals to eat ( they usually serve fish, eggs or softer kind of foods) and if I eat slow the food never gets stuck.

I always prepare a just in case plan and bring yogurt or a soft kind of food to eat in case my band disagrees with the food served during the long flights.